Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cel Shading and NPR - What's Possible??

Cel Shading and NPR - What's Possible??

Cel Shader and Enhanced Edge Rendering: Offers flexible non photoreal render control over material shading and allows gradient-based cel shading, while Edge Rendering uses any material available in the Surface Editor to shade any line.
    This is the official word, from the announcement. I tried doing searches of how the Japanese marketplace is responding to this latest Lightwave release, but no much yet to share, just toop early?? Perhaps someone else with more knowledge can respond. I am deeply interested in seeing examples, videos, how-to's, creative responses with the new tools, and anybody on the BETA team stateside or in Japan, show us your stuff. The Japanese market has done remarkable work with Lightwave in the past, and they have their own Plugin's, which have yet to be translated and integrated into the English world, booo! So, the challenge is on, please WOW me with examples. Inspire all of us. I have a project that is going to be either a Lightwave 2018 NPR animation, or a Blender 2.8 NPR. Maybe a little bit of both, but.... Blender 2.8 currently does not have any stated work on the Freestyle lines (which is a Post Render process, lacks interactivity!) and they are dumping Blender Internal, which has been the staple for Blender NPR work, so, for me, Lightwave may win the day.
    So, come on experts, show me what is possible.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

I Second that! Speaking of lines at some point we might have to ditch the yellow and black lines in our avitars with LWNext / 2018 rolling out. ???
    Shuttle XPCVista 64 bit /Core2Extreme x9650 3.00GHz 8GB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Cintiq 21UX
    Dell 24" LCD Dell XT2 Tablet /Win 7 32 Bit /Core 2 duo SU9600 1.6 GHz 3GB / Mobil Intel 4500MHD

That’s where Lino should chime in. He has done a lot of renders in cell shading hese last months.

CaptainMarlowe... I agree, as I have seen one render by Lino, but it did not seem to demonstrate anything more than a clean, 'typical' cel shaded star fighter, with 'clean' tech level line work. I know that the Japanese are more 'artful' in their us of NPR strategies, textural, watercolor like, with more calligraphic hand drawn style line work. This is what I am hoping to see more of.
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Speaking of cel shading, here's a recent video by Simon Smalley doing some (IMO) nice cel shading without shaders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_tWGLwusr8

Instead of shaders, he uses a stepped-key Incidence-angle Gradient on the Color channel with PhotoShop Colorburn blending mode. He uses a geometric approach to the edges, taking the original model and using Point Normal Move to create a sort of "halo" around the geometry and jitters it for a hand-drawn look.

Might be old news to some of you guys, but it looks like it works really well and easy to set up once you know the basics.

mTp

Quote Originally Posted by paulhart View Post
    CaptainMarlowe... I agree, as I have seen one render by Lino, but it did not seem to demonstrate anything more than a clean, 'typical' cel shaded star fighter, with 'clean' tech level line work. I know that the Japanese are more 'artful' in their us of NPR strategies, textural, watercolor like, with more calligraphic hand drawn style line work. This is what I am hoping to see more of.
    May I happily inform you that LW devs went to Japan to collect wishes for the new Cel interactive shader amongst others.
    And for you the cherry on the top is Batman-Ninja, movie soon tbr'ed by Warner Bros all done in LW2018 beta
    by Kamakeze Douga. It 's Kurosawa runnin' with with DC. Be amazed, I was, all my Xmas luck to Douga on release!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwPFxcefpdU

If Lino is a bit busy Paulhart, then he must be knocking out '2018-content'!

MonroePoteet... Good example of alternate approaches, shown on the video. I will have to try it, plus a few other tweaks. Thanks for the share.
    ianr... you obviously got on this thread, while I was composing the above short response, so, here is a few more choice words...
    ianr... Thank you for sharing the video link. Full props to Kamakaze Douga. The 'look' of some of those shots are excellent, even some textured, 'hand-drawn looking' textures. Great stuff!! Now, get the translation going, port those plugin's, hire some people to do videos and show us poor folk, 'just how it's done.' Thank you, I will be waiting, while trying my own hand at the skills.
    Last edited by paulhart; 12-14-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Nice looking trailer, but frankly, Adam West is the one and only Batman for me.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    May I happily inform you that LW devs went to Japan to collect wishes for the new Cel interactive shader amongst others.
    And for you the cherry on the top is Batman-Ninja, movie soon tbr'ed by Warner Bros all done in LW2018 beta
    by Kamakeze Douga. It 's Kurosawa runnin' with with DC. Be amazed, I was, all my Xmas luck to Douga on release!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwPFxcefpdU
    That is really nice - dumbfounded. :0
    Shuttle XPCVista 64 bit /Core2Extreme x9650 3.00GHz 8GB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Cintiq 21UX
    Dell 24" LCD Dell XT2 Tablet /Win 7 32 Bit /Core 2 duo SU9600 1.6 GHz 3GB / Mobil Intel 4500MHD

Crickets . . . again?? This area of development, in collaboration with Japanese developers, years in the making, should be great big news! Promotional videos, how to, demonstration of the new potential, examples, node trees, settings. There should be a "flood" of cool promotion and discussion. I started this thread, hoping that it would generate some feedback from Newtek. and.... Crickets!!!

Could someone on the Newtek team please respond with something about the NPR area of development. I know that Rob is gone and Lino, but the trip to Japan did happen, tech was explored and the Japanese anime/animation marketplace is significant, and... There was a 'bullet point' on the release description. So, enough with the "crickets," answer this thread, with some kind of show and tell. Please, it is to your benefit, to promote this area, after all the research and hard work by the development team???!!!

Anttij77 said in the announcement thread he will make a video on the cel shader in the coming days.
    Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 12-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mecha2_watercolor-finish0001.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	138904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mecha-closeup_wc1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	741.3 KB 
ID:	138905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mecha2_watercolor-finish0001.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	138906

Heres an example of some of my cel style work.
    all celshaded plus a paint watercolor filter
    lw and fusion

Fine examples, thank you. You did not say if these involved Lightwave 2018 or not??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast