Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    LW2018 - any GI cache ?
    This is also one of the many questions I would like answered as well. Antti said he would be making a video about the GI in 2018 so we will have to see what shows up in the video I guess.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

LW2018 - any GI cache ?
    doesn't really go with a pure pathtracer AFAIK

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vbk!!! View Post
    well .. how about to read mesh sequence. Like FLIP simulation mesh. And shade it on the fly.
    Can LW2018 handle this ?
    Can LW2018 be able to deploy animated Alembic and shade it ?

In short : is LW2018 still Ligthwave centric or is it able to assemble stuff from other apps ?

VDB is a good step. But it's far to be enough.
    Good question....big on mine and a lot of other list...

Can 2018 handle alambic meshes with changing poly counts?

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    I guess it depends on what quality you're aiming for.
    A single kinect based on the microsost mocap system can only capture flailing arms and idling motion. Good luck with occlusion. Brekel, nevron, they all suck.
    I did a job once with my Kinect making the character walk a few steps, turn to the left, the push buttons on a machine. I did all the acting myself and it sped up my animation. It looked good too.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I think 2015.3 videos may be worthwhile still. Not everybody will be moving to 2018 immediately. Heck, some users here are still usng 9.5.

Take me, for example. I started a new personal project in 2018 a couple of weeks ago to prepare me for when we switch over at work, but for a handful of reasons (incompatible plugins, workflow differences, third-party software compatibilty, personal habits,) I'm sure I'll still be using 2015.3 at home and at work for some time to come.
    Well OK then, consider the tutorial made! (as soon as I have time)
    Last edited by Philbert; 12-21-2017 at 07:59 PM.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Schwyhart View Post
    True...but has Apple announced when they plan to release the new Mac Pro?
    I have the Mac Pro trash can at work and I like it, but hate the design. Not enough ports and they're in a dumb place on the case. I hope the next design is better.
    i always found this amusing

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post

Can 2018 handle alambic meshes with changing poly counts?
    i hope so. that would od be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    It wasn't too bad. Save individual scenes with different Limited Region settings, then assemble the final image in Photoshop. I used to do this manually way back in the 90's when I worked as an illustrator for print publications. Back then it was critical because computer RAM was still measured in double-digit MB, not GB.
    Work in progress: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remote.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	138940

Great to hear that LightWave is still alive. I was about to get Modo.

Each of the features should have had coverage on the blog or social media. Silence is a marketing killer. It can as simple as a tweet of a screenshot, but you NEED to show live signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Parts of 2018 are using Qt for the GUI, but the rest of the GUI needs to updated
    4K/high density display support and flexible panels are a MUST for me in 2018. LightWave on a 4K 27"/30" screen is unusable because of the drifting mouse pointer issue. If you set it to ignore dpi scaling to counter the drifting bug, the entire 3d viewport is pixelated and the texts are cutoff. Seriously, that is the worst thing about LW for me.

And I would like to be able to rearrange my workspace with dockable windows as I want, like it's possible in Photoshop or Unity 3D.

Proper Undo and Redo is another HUGE usability issue that needs to be solved.

Sliders need to be in a floating or dockable window, and not hovering in the viewport.

ALL Modeler tools need to be real time.

Don't mean to be harsh, but if LW 2018 hasn't covered those basics, I'm out. I couldn't care less about Cel Shading, Edge Rendering, Noise Reduction and Parametric Shapes (which in the examples look just like nodally displaced subdivision planes). That time should have been invested in UX improvements.

All other features look pretty amazing though. The wait has been long.
    Last edited by Mr. Wilde; 12-22-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    Don't quote me on this but I would say you would get a Chronosculpt and Nevron motion aswell. The reason because everyone who has 2015.3 got those two programs for free in their account and if you upgrade to 2015 then you should get those two programs in your account like everyone else along with 2018 when it comes out January 1st.

Thanks,
    Jason
    [already answered partly by Chuck] NewTek, maybe too late now, but it might be a good time to make the $299 upgrade offer to pre 2015.3 users to "upgrade now to 2015, get 2018 for 'free'". Or alternately allow all 2018 upgraders access via their account to 2015 as well.

I think most regular LW users at least in the near to mid term are going to want to keep 2015 around for a while due to various compatibility issues, and it will be a better bridge to 2018+ than older versions.

If the plan is to bundle ChronoSculpt and Nevron with new licenses and/or upgrades for users who didn't already get that with 2015, that should be clarified (if it hasn't already, haven't read all of the posts...)

Has anything been said yet about whether we can do the upgrade purchase ahead of 01/01 so we might find our downloads available right out of the gate on 01/01?
    Last edited by tburbage; 12-22-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Not so sure ...

OK, I guess I'll weigh in here ... my very first thought was to say something snarky, like, "What's this Lightwave you speak of?"

But after all this time, as I read through the various expectations, tentative excitement, disappointments about undo, etc., I realize that Lightwave is like an old classic truck from decades ago that is painstakingly restored and maintained, with rebuilt engine, altered with newer parts only when absolutely necessary, new chrome wheels, new tires, fresh paint, wax, shined up, and driven only on Sundays, and never when it rains. You won't find bluetooth, cruise control, heated seats, great mileage, or a modern look and feel, but it DOES go down the road quickly, and with a certain kind of nostalgic style, which some old dudes and those who appreciate history find quite charming and fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldTruckRestored-001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1,000.8 KB 
ID:	138941

I don't know yet if I'll upgrade. I am indeed an old dude who has loved Lightwave, but I think I might just wait and see ...

Congratulations to LW3D dev team for finally bringing this old beauty up to its next releasable incarnation. I wish you the greatest success.

a $300 upgrade is a great value, especially if you are already a LW user and find the workflow alright.

it's almost foolish not to.

and if you use it to make money, there's no question really, $300 is basically free.

yes, the LightWave car is basically this in its current shape...

Last edited by erikals; 12-22-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

and if you use it to make money, there's no question really, $300 is basically free.
    I agree the price is insanely reasonable, even for a lot of hobbyists. That said, it's undeniable that there has been a lot of confusing, sometimes overlapping and/or interlocking promotions and offers of other types. Some were clearly meant to add appeal, others to make amends. Honestly, I don't think the issue for many is actually price, so much as the principle of honouring the various commitments. And it's impossible to disagree with that premise.

As far as I can tell, the most difficult thing on our side is trying to parse all of the various 'deals' and figure out who qualifies for what. I know for a fact that some related inquiries have already been resolved to mutual satisfaction, but it's going to take some time to work through the pile.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

i just find i hard to complain about a low price.

unless one wants to jump ship.

a low price, there are other things in life that are more important to worry about. (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    As far as I can tell, the most difficult thing on our side is trying to parse all of the various 'deals' and figure out who qualifies for what. I know for a fact that some related inquiries have already been resolved to mutual satisfaction, but it's going to take some time to work through the pile.
    yes, creating some charts in some form might be of help?
    https://www.google.no/search?q=upgra...=1733&bih=1236

Yes, if it's only ~ $300 (is it?) then it does make sense to upgrade. I like erikals' car. :+) A chart is also a great idea. But then, LW3D dev communication style in general wouldn't really support that idea, right? :+)

Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast