Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

I will not be upgrading to Lightwave 2018. In spite of its clear improvements. I could cite the lack of undo or the dichotomous MODELLER/LAYOUT.
    But there is a bigger reason:

the lack of any move to Linux.

I have to do some big picture thinking. Windows 10 is dreadful. Apple? Well they will get rid of their desktop OS at some point. They are not a technology company or a hardware company; they are a fashion company for gold plated smart watches. So Linux is inevitable as my OS in the end. Might be 2018. Might be 2023 when Win 8.1 gets zonked. But whatever. It will happen for me. I would be better off spending 300 or so dollars on upgrading something that works on Linux. I have a Maxwell Render licence for instance. That works on Linux. So does Blender. Do do some other programs like 3d coat - I would have to check that. But Lightwave doesn't. Nor do Newtek have any plans to go there. So my big picture of the hell scape that I face - Windows 10 with Cortana that I can't install, a company that used dark patterning to force people to have Windows 10, and a file system that has not improved, actually, since the 90's.

Let's consider that for a moment: the terms file system. An analogy between virtual files and a physical cabinet. Jesus that is an outdated paradigm. Some Linux systems use a binder style file system where can flip through the files like a spined flip book. Anyone who thinks that Windows has improved - it hasn't. It is in its underlying paradigm stuck in 1995.

So I have to say no. I am leaving Lightwave as it is and seeing its sunk cost go below the sunset.
    Last edited by saranine; 01-17-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saranine View Post
    I will not be upgrading to Lightwave 2018. In spite of its clear improvements. I could cite the lack of undo or the dichotomous MODELLER/LAYOUT.
    But there is a bigger reason:

the lack of any move to Linux....
    Sorry, but I must ask - are you going to create any 3d render images or files in certain file system ?
    - Architectural Visualizations -

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Well I suppose that's what you get when the people in charge are let go. IMO the biggest issue with this release is that Rob and Lino aren't on the forums answering questions and assisting. To lose two passionate and knowledgeable LW'ers is a big blow to LW.
    Were Lino & Rob let go? When did that get announced?

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

Quote Originally Posted by GregMalick View Post
    There was no official public announcement. Rob made some posts to his FB page and I think Lino just removed the info about Newtek/LW3DG from his FB account.

There were some posts about it here in the forum, in the threads talking about the (then) upcoming release of LW2018. They should still be around, unless they were removed. You could also probably find the posts on FB, if you use it.
    Curtis Rhoads

Desktop: Win10 x64 | i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | GeForce GTX970
    Laptop: Win10 x64 | i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GT650M
    Desktop: iMac | i7 3.5GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GTX 780M

It wasn't officially announced. But has been confirmed by Steve Bowie and others (even Rob on Facebook). Not sure if Lino and his wife were canned or quit on their own. Lino seems fairly active on FB and doesn't seem to have any ill will toward the situation.

Too fast Vong.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    the lack of any move to Linux.
    Goodbye Felicia.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Thanks for the info. That is really sad news.
    I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since this release took so long to happen.
    That's a lot of potential revenue they didn't make and I suppose NT had to cut some resources.
    Or there was conflict in LW's direction.

shrug>

- - - Updated - - -

That's a lot of potential revenue they didn't make and I suppose NT had to cut some resources.

shrug>

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

shrug>

- - - Updated - - -

shrug>
    always get a roadmap

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Goodbye Felicia.
    Really? The user laid out the reasons why they're not upgrading, and possibly leaving lightwave behind, and that's your response? I would think at this point, that encouraging users to remain, or at least have another look later on would be a better approach.
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Sorry to see anyone go.

People have been swearing Apple is ditching their desktop OS 'in the next couple of years' since the iPod fist shipped. They DID just update their file system. They also made a rather substantial upgrade to their desktop with the iMac Pro (and yes, it IS a desktop with desktop CPU and GPU - though not as upgradeable as a tower). They also committed to a new Mac Pro.

Will they abandon the desktop someday? Sure. Even stars die - eventually. Linux will too. Now if you don't LIKE Apple, well you are certainly entitled. I like Apple + Lightwave more than I like Linux + Blender. And Linux + Maya would quickly make Apple look affordable.

Now maybe it is just me, but the file system is something that sits in the background doing its thing without my involvement most of the time. I am not going to panic over it unless I run into something it can't do (copy 4GB files, back at the 32 bit limit, for example). Is the file system getting in your way on Windows?

Except for moving large videos around, how much time do you really spend saying "@#[email protected]%!, this file system just won't get out of my way and let me work!"

The new Apple File system is much faster for me, but even then, that is a once or twice a month thing. Blender just irritates the bejesus out of me even when I am TRYING to like it (2.8 and realtime render had me drooling).
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Lino showed up on the Blender NPR forum, introduced himself, and I welcomed him to the group and encouraged Ton (Blender Director Extraordinaire) to jump at the opportunity to have him contribute.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

...Let's consider that for a moment: the terms file system. An analogy between virtual files and a physical cabinet. Jesus that is an outdated paradigm. Some Linux systems use a binder style file system where can flip through the files like a spined flip book. Anyone who thinks that Windows has improved - it hasn't. It is in its underlying paradigm stuck in 1995...
    As a Linux and Windows user, I'm completely confused by this statement. Can someone lend a hand?

Quote Originally Posted by GandB View Post
    Really? The user laid out the reasons why they're not upgrading, and possibly leaving lightwave behind, and that's your response? I would think at this point, that encouraging users to remain, or at least have another look later on would be a better approach.
    I think the response to Felicia was appropriate. Felicia's reasoning to leave LW was a personal opinion that really offered nothing to this audience. There's no reason to encourage anybody if that is the reason for leaving LW.

FWIW, when I tried running LW in Linux (via Wine) years ago, I was getting slightly faster render times than when the same hardware booted as Windows OS. I wonder if Felicia ever tried LW on Linux before dismissing it.

As far as I'm aware the licensing system won't work on wine. Certainly I couldn't get it to work and there's been more than one thread on it over the years.
    I'd love to see lightwave on Linux but see no evidence of it being considered.
    I bought LW2015 but never even got round to downloading it. So I'm very much of the 'wait and see' mindset at the moment.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

LW 2018 looks amazing, but the lack of information and the abandoned lightwave blog during the development was just a pain.

I don't think it's gonna be worth it pass through it all over again for the next update, even with new great features.

LW looks is good on its track, finally, but NT still has to fix their marketing strategy and community management.
    Last edited by caesar; 01-19-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Moro num pais tropical...
    Discerne.com - personal blog

Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast