Page 19 of 56 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    I gotta ask this - remember i am LW fanboy - i have Octane and decent GPUS .. should i render anything with Native Lightwave Renderer ? Is there any good tests out there.

Octane's material system is dead easy .. How is the new system ?
    Up to you.. I have.. and use both. And Vray for C4D too. I mostly use CPU rendering. Depends on what you need really.

Quote Originally Posted by H_Molla View Post
    So disappointing really.....after all that time !!! wakeup Newtek it 2018..don't you see MAXON ??
    I did switch a year ago and am SUPER happy with C4D...i couldn't imagine that i will do that big switch after using lightwave since the Amiga day's...BUT i DID...and Am doing things that i was not able to do without twisting my head to be done while it was very simple...

I am so sorry that this is LW2018...
    So saaaaadddd.
    But isn't maxon about to go up for sale? and that usually ends up with with either one of the apps disappearing to who ever acquires it (rumors of the foundary,)
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    I gotta ask this - remember i am LW fanboy - i have Octane and decent GPUS .. should i render anything with Native Lightwave Renderer ? Is there any good tests out there.

Octane's material system is dead easy .. How is the new system ?
    I want to know this too (Although I am upgrading regardless to many goodies I see already) But I would like more info On Octane link. Although I think LW native render looks like candy for the eyes. I'm striving for animations and short render cycles are a must and its easier to add more video cards than processors...

Quote Originally Posted by thomascheng View Post
    I have to ask this, but why the decision to go CPU instead of GPU, why not both? I'm most likely going to upgrade anyway.
    well small, maybe even some large studios and remote render farms probably already have cpu render farms in place, to upgrade them all to gpu would be expensive, and if they were using a system of server blades would be very difficult physically so you could end up alienating half your existing market
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    But isn't maxon about to go up for sale? and that usually ends up with with either one of the apps disappearing to who ever acquires it (rumors of the foundary,)
    Where on earth have you heard such rumors?

What Maxon *is* doing however is to update its internal engine to do what? Do exactly the same thing we just got in LW 2018. Now.. LW was 10 years behind or something? (This comment wasn't directed to you. More a tonal message to some negativity in this forum )

Edit: And they have been working on that for two years already.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 12-14-2017 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post

What Maxon *is* doing however is to update its internal engine to do what? Do exactly the same thing we just got in LW 2018. Now.. LW was 10 years behind or something? (This comment wasn't directed to you. More a tonal message to some negativity in this forum )
    my guess is that Maxon is already owned by Adobe, but not publicly so they can sell it separatelly and dont have to give it for free to CC subscribers

/tinfoil hat off

Quote Originally Posted by dnch View Post
    my guess is that Maxon is already owned by Adobe, but not publicly so they can sell it separatelly and dont have to give it for free to CC subscribers

/tinfoil hat off
    Hahahaha.. yes.. that would be the Adobe way.

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    Antii,

Is this still based on voxels? This stuff looks really interesting.
    HyperVoxels is gone right? I'd like to hear more about how PFX ties into the new system, and otherwise fills in for what HV did.

-Tom
    No, it is not based on voxels. Ironically, neither is the old HyperVoxels.
    The old HyperVoxels are still there, for backwards compatibility, but the old volumetrics are not compatible with the new, so you'll have to decide on a per-scene basis which system you want to use.

One of the advantages of the new volumetric shape is that it motion blurs just like objects, without the need to render in passes.
    "A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways."

Eh, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by dnch View Post

/tinfoil hat off
    Eh? Maxon is owned by Nemetschek - has been for a while. Nemetschek, while not being Autodesk- or Adobe-sized, is still a pretty serious contender, with steady growth (about +15% per year, if I recall) and revenues in the low hundred of millions. I guess it's possible they could sell Maxon to Adobe, stranger things have happened (hello, Foundry!) but they're not some venture capitalists fund and C4D fits snugly in their CAD/design lineup. I can't imagine why they would get rid of it.

ADP.

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by alexos View Post
    Eh? Maxon is owned by Nemetschek - has been for a while. Nemetschek, while not being Autodesk- or Adobe-sized, is still a pretty serious contender, with steady growth (about +15% per year, if I recall) and revenues in the low hundred of millions. I guess it's possible they could sell Maxon to Adobe, stranger things have happened (hello, Foundry!) but they're not some venture capitalists fund and C4D fits snugly in their CAD/design lineup. I can't imagine why they would get rid of it.

ADP.
    See this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ght=Nemetschek

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    ^ hope...

Past indicators are good way of seeing the future.
    I'm sorry, but I do not trust those guys anymore.
    Again, we're getting promises...they've been promising stuff since 2009, problem is, it's all too slow.

I'll be keeping an eye of their performance tho.
    Well, I said hope not trust. I should add that I was blissfully ignorant of the situation during the core days. I had bought in then, but not for core. I was simply starting my own company and didn't want to rely on a cracked copy of lightwave 7, and I was too busy working to know or care what was happening at Newtek. It seems to me based on the beta users' feedback that the features promised in the blog are now a reality at least, and if this release truly is as stable and well tested as they say, particularly after such a large rewrite, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Think the rumours have their foundation from this.....https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-3-d-software

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Argh, so Modeler is still getting updated “next” (just like every release since LW7). That is frustrating.

Did I miss a post answering the high poly objects in modeler question? That could be useful.

I love the new renders. I am glad LW is cross compatible. But, it hurts to see “sim in ———, rendered in LW” when LW is supposed to be an “everything in one box” solution (maybe I am being old-fashioned bring up the prior marketing).

So can we get a roadmap - at least for Modeler?

As the last LW user without Octane, I do like that we are getting PBR. I’m not trying to be negative, because there are things to like in LW2018. I was just hoping for something more substantial on the Modeler side. The camera view helps.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    Think the rumours have their foundation from this.....https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-3-d-software
    Yes, the problem is when your owned by a larger group, that group is only interested in figures, not the product, so they have obviously seen that they have grown the business to a point where it makes more sense the sell it off (could also be issues they foresee with brexit and its probably better to move it away from Europe) and make a large sum in one go rather than the 300 mill a year, think about the rumors of how much modo went for, although i don't think it was true there were rumors in the billions as your paying for its overall worth, any way, its just a rumour, but might make people think twice about jumping ship as the grass might not always be greener, (its funny as while i was googling something unrelated it seems a lot of people are jumping ship from maya and moving to max and c4d, so maya could be on the decline too, maybe its just turning out too expensive on the new model?)

also reading that article you can see what they might be picking up on, about 90% of their profit comes from the visualisation industry, but its becoming quite clear that realtime engines like unreal are starting to find its way in that sector in a big way (I've been moving over to it myself!) so in the future there could be a big decline in expensive creation software,

Page 19 of 56 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast