Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    Just a heads up - when I placed the order the price was in UK Pounds automatically, and when I entered my UK VAT number (GB XXXXXXXXX) it automatically deduced the 20% VAT correctly. There was an issue with using my Visa Debit card and the payment was rejected, but putting it through as a PayPal payment, using the same card, all was okay. No idea why, but there you go.

Thought it might be useful to others from the UK going through the same route
    Cool! Glad it worked out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Thanks. Just read the dedicated thread on this topic, seems a few people want a PDF. I too like PDF manual, good to have a local copy when internet access isn't possible.
    I made a local pdf copy myself. Took a while :/ but at least I will have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Nah, AFAIK, just the online version. I think the idea is that this version will be regularly updated and always current, unlike a PDF. This seems to be the way software manuals are going; a couple of other programs I use only have online manuals.

Personally, I wish there was an optional PDF version we could download. I don't always have internet access available so, even if it was slightly dated, the PDF would be useful.
    There is. If you click on the three dots on the upper right corner of the online docs and select "export to pdf" you get a pdf of the current documentation.

However, it apparently times out currently and throws a proxy error. Overloaded, maybe?

Scott

Newbie Member
    Well in a way i am glad LW 2018 is so bad as I have been making excuses for using this software for way too long. I work on extremely high end movies and TV shows and whenever i mention that I work in lightwave i get laughed at and people say, is that still going? I thought it was dead years ago. I essentially paid the upgrade price for 2018 to get less functionality than I was promised when I paid for LWCore! (I have been using lightwave since version 5) Like most of you I have put off retraining in new software as it takes a lot of time but I feel like I have been left with no option after this release. I hope I have got something wrong here and it's a lot better than I think it is but I genuinely feel like the software can not survive after this. Sad times.....

Quote Originally Posted by lazzaruz View Post
    Well in a way i am glad LW 2018 is so bad as I have been making excuses for using this software for way too long. I work on extremely high end movies and TV shows and whenever i mention that I work in lightwave i get laughed at and people say, is that still going? I thought it was dead years ago. I essentially paid the upgrade price for 2018 to get less functionality than I was promised when I paid for LWCore! (I have been using lightwave since version 5) Like most of you I have put off retraining in new software as it takes a lot of time but I feel like I have been left with no option after this release. I hope I have got something wrong here and it's a lot better than I think it is but I genuinely feel like the software can not survive after this. Sad times.....
    can you highlight the areas that you feel are lacking and what are the dealbreakers for you?

That may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
    Renders are made by artists, not software.
    People are laughing at you ? Show them your renders.
    They're still laughing ? Make better renders.

wait, so why did you buy the upgrade?
    Last edited by dnch; 01-04-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Hi good LW3dG people! Enjoying the latest Need some help with the new Mesh Part/Mesh Info etc nodes. There's nothing in the content folder and not much in the docs. Any tutorial usage would be great, esp in the light of no DP Kit. I'm specifically interested in if it's possible to map parts to particles. If Primitive Type is Volumetric and I click on Edit Nodes I can see a Particle ID on the Input - can't see anything outside of this.

This is my little test using a similar equivalent to DP Kit's Part Move (with a little help from BryPhi77, link in the description!): https://youtu.be/6tCl-AYMV_A

Last edited by raw-m; 01-04-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csbragg View Post
    There is. If you click on the three dots on the upper right corner of the online docs and select "export to pdf" you get a pdf of the current documentation.
    I tried it out but this feature seems to download only the current section, not the entire documentation.

But thanks for the tip...at least I can grab little bits and pieces if I ever need to.

Just downloaded 2018 was really excited to try out the trial. So far very dissapointed. I probably need to change some settings but I don't see half the stuff hyped about this last 2 years. Tried rendering a set up from my previous version. Renders at a crawl, about 90 times slower than previous version and vpr shows nothing. Where is all the improvement?? If it's going to be this slow at rendering then it's useless.

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    Just downloaded 2018 was really excited to try out the trial. So far very dissapointed. I probably need to change some settings but I don't see half the stuff hyped about this last 2 years. Tried rendering a set up from my previous version. Renders at a crawl, about 90 times slower than previous version and vpr shows nothing. Where is all the improvement?? If it's going to be this slow at rendering then it's useless.

Take the time to test. The philosophy and the settings have changed a lot. I had this reaction too early and by doing tests and patience, I start to be pleasantly surprised by the speed and quality. It's my opinion !

Quote Originally Posted by THIBAULT View Post
    Take the time to test. The philosophy and the settings have changed a lot. I had this reaction too early and by doing tests and patience, I start to be pleasantly surprised by the speed and quality. It's my opinion !
    Yes, I think that trying to mimick old habits with the new renderer will only lead to disappointment. The only way to get really into it is considering it as a whole new beast just the same way one would learn to use an external renderer. RebelHill, Andrew Comb and others has released YT video that greatly help understanding how to get into it.

I only tested the PBR Shader, but it is actually very fast as a CPU renderer. I would take the time to learn the new render engine.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    Yes, I think that trying to mimick old habits with the new renderer will only lead to disappointment. The only way to get really into it is considering it as a whole new beast just the same way one would learn to use an external renderer. RebelHill, Andrew Comb and others has released YT video that greatly help understanding how to get into it.
    If the new renderer requires a completely different mindset and workflow, then the burden is on Newtek to provide customers with the info needed to adopt that new mindset and workflow. While it is good that third-parties have stepped up, that they needed to do so just highlights how inadequate the release content was in those areas. Newtek did not live up to their obligations there.

We were told repeatedly by Newtek they were spending extra time to make sure everything was right for release. Yet, despite those statements (and the time elapsed), this release still feels premature and rushed in (too) many ways.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I think we have the info we need with online documentation. It's not the best in our new youtube age, but it not leaving us with nothing either. Plus there plenty of info on PBR Shader.
    Last edited by thomascheng; 01-06-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast