Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Autokey mode, Multi-Selection Editing of Modifiers. etc..

Fixed Autokey mode, Multi-Selection Editing of Modifiers. etc..

Now that we have a release date, can we PLEEEEASE start geeking out about features again.

Most of the stuff we have seen before but I wonder what the extra features at the bottom of the 2018 feature list are.

Multi-Selection Editing of Modifiers seems like it could be a real timesaver, because right now it is a real thorn in my side that we don't have that.

does that include node networks? Tell me! Tell me!

Fixed Autokey? whats that?
    Questions! Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Multi-Selection Editing of Modifiers seems like it could be a real timesaver, because right now it is a real thorn in my side that we don't have that.

does that include node networks? Tell me! Tell me!
    Not in terms of editing the contents inside node networks, but the adding / removing / copy / pasting of modifiers.

Fixed Autokey? whats that?
    Allows you to specify a keyframe to _always_ key on no matter where you are on the timeline.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Matt, there is no mention of improved mesh performance in the marketing material. Did the new mesh engine mentioned on the blog not work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Matt, there is no mention of improved mesh performance in the marketing material. Did the new mesh engine mentioned on the blog not work out?
    Layout does have speed increases when dealing with meshes yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Layout does have speed increases when dealing with meshes yes.
    Great. Thanks.

Not in terms of editing the contents inside node networks, but the adding / removing / copy / pasting of modifiers.

Allows you to specify a keyframe to _always_ key on no matter where you are on the timeline.
    So does this mean I can edit a node network and then copy paste it to multiple objects at once without having to cycle through them?

Always key seems like a great addition sort of the opposite of the way Maya blender etc. do it but I don’t see why it won’t work.

Fixed Autokey Mode: YAY YAY, no more creating keys at the wrong frame. Nice little addition! I know the Maya folks will like that!

Thanks for the info! It’s like Christmas. Could you elaborate on the layer improvements in modeler?

Thanks for the info! It’s like Christmas. Could you elaborate on the layer improvements in modeler?
    Scripts to manage working with layers better:
    • Search Layers - Allows setting of FG / BG layers from a searchable list
    • Find On Layer - Finds which layers polys reside on by setting the FG layer of any selected polys
    • Next Layer - Advances all selected FG layers by 1 but keeps any BG layers you had selected (until a selected FG layer replaces a BG layer)
    • Page Down hotkey re-assigned from 'Next Lyr Bank' to 'Next Layer'
    • Prev Layer - Decreases all selected FG layers by 1 but keeps any BG layers you had selected (until a selected FG layer replaces a BG layer)
    • Page Up hotkey re-assigned from 'Prev Lyr Bank' to 'Prev Layer'
    • Select All FG Layers - Selects all FG layers but keeps any BG layers you had selected
    • Select All BG Layers - Selects all BG layers but keeps any FG layers you had selected
    • Select FG Lyr Range - Fills foreground layers between two foreground layer selections
    • Select BG Lyr Range - Fills background layers between two background layer selections
    • Insert / Delete Layers - Respect pivot points

Also added:
    • Reassign Surface - Allows reassigning of surfaces based on a name search match
    • Select Surfaces - Allows selection / deselection of surface names using a list of surfaces versus the single selection in the Stats panel
    • Rotate To Axis - Allows rotation of geometry to XYZ axis using the normal of the first poly selected as a reference for rotation

Scripts to manage working with layers better:
    • Search Layers - Allows setting of FG / BG layers from a searchable list
    • Find On Layer - Finds which layers polys reside on by setting the FG layer of any selected polys
    • Next Layer - Advances all selected FG layers by 1 but keeps any BG layers you had selected (until a selected FG layer replaces a BG layer)
    • Page Down hotkey re-assigned from 'Next Lyr Bank' to 'Next Layer'
    • Prev Layer - Decreases all selected FG layers by 1 but keeps any BG layers you had selected (until a selected FG layer replaces a BG layer)
    • Page Up hotkey re-assigned from 'Prev Lyr Bank' to 'Prev Layer'
    • Select All FG Layers - Selects all FG layers but keeps any BG layers you had selected
    • Select All BG Layers - Selects all BG layers but keeps any FG layers you had selected
    • Select FG Lyr Range - Fills foreground layers between two foreground layer selections
    • Select BG Lyr Range - Fills background layers between two background layer selections
    • Insert / Delete Layers - Respect pivot points

Also added:
    • Reassign Surface - Allows reassigning of surfaces based on a name search match
    • Select Surfaces - Allows selection / deselection of surface names using a list of surfaces versus the single selection in the Stats panel
    • Rotate To Axis - Allows rotation of geometry to XYZ axis using the normal of the first poly selected as a reference for rotation
    Are these scripts that you made?
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    This one slipped by me: Auto Key: FIXED

This is a way of getting the feature I prefer to call "STATIC ITEM". Glad to see it got implemented.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

IMO, it seems like "Auto Key: Fixed" is somewhat orthogonal to a couple of the other auto-keying options, specifically "existing", "modified" and "all". Put another way, whether I want auto-keying fixed to a given keyframe is an independent decision from the channels I'm allowing auto-key to alter.

It really needs four controls: A checkbox for activating/deactivating auto-keying, a drop-down for selecting whether auto-keying affects existing|modified|all, a checkbox for whether to auto-key to a specific frame (aka "Fixed"), and a numeric field for which frame number receives fixed auto-keying. If fixed is always frame zero, the last field can be omitted. The way the controls work now, using fixed-frame auto-keying needlessly blocks users' ability to control which channels auto-keying is allowed to impact.

Filed as LWF-1967.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    A checkbox for activating/deactivating auto-keying
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    a numeric field for which frame number receives fixed auto-keying
    It has both of these.

It has both of these.
    I think you're missing my point. The issue is that, given the existing controls, you can't turn on fixed-frame and also control which channels auto-keying alters. I was proposing a set that would allow access to controlling both fixed frame, and also what channels auto-keying alters. See LWF-1967 as well.

I wasn't saying it didn't have ANY of those controls I listed. However, having both of those doesn't solve the issue.

Also, w.r.t. frame #, opening "General options" allows (well, is supposed to allow) access to the setting defaults, but in the case of frame #, it's not really accessing the default frame # value, it's accessing the current frame # value. Is that worth filing as a bug by itself, or is LWF-1967 adequate?

I know there are a bunch of other "current-masquerading-as-default" fields in prefs. However, in that specific case, the Auto-keying control immediately above explicitly says "default". I'll argue it's ambiguous/confusing UX for Auto-key frame # to access "current".
    Last edited by jwiede; 07-20-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/LWB-4200/

I've reported there's no dox currently for FIXED, and there's something that is worrisome: if a user engages FIXED mode, does it ERASE all existing keyframes?

::test test test:: No, it does not, but it IS wierd: Animate an item along a path without FIXED engaged, w/like 5 keyframes, including frame zero. Engage FIXED. Now put the timeline cursor at , oh, 60, and move the item.

I'm not sure what's happening, but it's weird, and it doesn't seem like the frame zero keyframe is being updated. It's very puzzling.

Frankly, it would be BETTER, or at least less confusing, if engaging FIXED destroyed all other keys. At the very least, the current behavior requires documentation to make clear what's happening.

ADDENDUM: ....nah, still confusing. Really, guys, STATIC CHANNEL did it correctly.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 07-20-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast