Thread: Can my 460 plus Dante make this happen?

Can my 460 plus Dante make this happen?

Hi all. I have a 460 working pretty well in my small studio, but I really need to get the audio functionality up. Specifically, I want to have the DDR audio and the audio from my TalkShow 4000 on an audio board, alongside as many mics as I might need at a given time.

I have an audio guru that says we can make this happen with this audio board:

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-16/

Is what I'm looking for possible, is Dante the right tool, and is the A&H the right board? Thanks in advance -
    Bruce A. Johnson
    Freedom From Religion Foundation

My understanding is that the individual channels and even the Aux busses are not available as Dante outputs. That mixer will work fine, but you're going to be using the analog aux outs from the Tricaster to send your DDR iso.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

OK, let me try this a different way. Where can I find a definitive listing of what I can expect to get in and out of Dante when it is connected to a Tricaster 460? I'm really sick and tired of the tiny audio faders, and plus I need my mouse for other things while I'm switchng. Or, alternatively,who can I talk to about Dante?
    Bruce A. Johnson

Bruce, off the top of my head, Dante outputs are limited to Master and Aux, but in any case, it's in the manual so you should be able to locate a definitive answer.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Channels 1 and 2 of master, and channels 1 and 2 of Aux1. So that's better than I thought!
    www.avprva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    Channels 1 and 2 of master, and channels 1 and 2 of Aux1. So that's better than I thought!
    Thanks for that info. So, practically speaking, if I hook up a 16 input board to the TC, if I want to see the DDRs on the external audio board, they have to be mapped to either the main outputs or aux 1 and 2? and those would be assigned to faders on the board?

What, then, becomes the outputs of the TC to go to Facebook, for example?

Forgive my clueless questioning, but the audio board we are looking at costs $1500, and I really don't want to waste money.
    Bruce A. Johnson

They would have to be mapped to the main and the aux, though if you're not concerned about mono, you could pan them and do Aux 1 L and Aux 1 R, which would Dante as separate channels. The stream is, generally speaking, your main. So you wouldn't want to use the main for the DDR, you'd use the aux split trick, and then bring your whole mix back in on an input routed to main for your stream.
    www.avprva.com

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    As far as your 2 DDR’s, you don’t need Dante because you can use audio output 2 A&B which equals AUX1 ch1&2. But if you use Dante or analog, as mentioned if you can live with mono for the DDR’s then set the following routes for the DRR’s for either method;
    -Open route tab on the DDR1 audio settings
    -On AUX1, press clear and then on the top row check it (input ch1, output ch1)
    -Now Check column 2 row 1 (input ch2, output ch1)
    -Same logic for DDR2 just use ch2
    This will put the sum of the left and right audio out of AUX1 ch1 and ch2 for each DDR. Before we had the ability to route the audio, the pan was needed but not anymore
    Last edited by joseburgos; 12-30-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I have not tested the VS4000 Dante abilities but if it has all the ch’s you could assign them to an external audio board and do the mix on it as well as output aux ch’s from the external mixer via Dante to return audio to the VS4000. This would allow the external mixer to handle all the audio and having the external audio mixers master out go an audio input on the TriCaster.
    In my opinion for the example you described, the benifit you gain by adding Dante VSC to the TriCaster 460 w/AE, is less wires (1 CAT6 cable from TriCaster for audio) and a savings of 4 XLR decent cables cost vs $30 Dante VSC license.
    You also retain the analog jacks if you still want use them
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Hey, I'm back again. Just when you thought...never mind. <g>

Here's a different tack on the same idea: On my TC 460, there are five "hard" audio outputs - main 1a & 1b (l-r), aux 2a and 2b, and headphones. Are 1a and 1b hard-coded to "main" in the system? Since I always record internally and/or stream, it's not like i have to feed a VTR or transmitter with the XLRs. Can they be re-purposed as discrete outputs for DDRs or Skype channels?

Or can the XLRs/TRSs be separated to have one mono channel on one side and another on the other, to be routed with an input and then fed into an audio board?

Thanks in advance. I know a lot of this stuff is in the manual, but I've read it front to back and for some reason I usually don't find the info I need in there.
    Bruce A. Johnson

I know with Premium Access coming out there is a new featured Audio I/O. Once that's available you'll be able to send and receive audio signals to any Dante enabled device.