Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adobe CC users: 20% off-- save in the coming year

I'd love to be free of Adobe's shackles, but that's not usually my call to make. I use several competing applications but, again, they're only useful if all I need do is deliver final product. When I have to interact with an existing pipeline, as in my need to have a current Maya subscription, my hands are proverbially tied. As a solo freelancer I don't usually get to pick the pipeline tools.

Monopolies suck.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

cinematic weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    exact same boat as you...
    Full license of resolve...
    Fusion 9 (bought fusion way back when it was still $5k)
    Affinity photo

All of these easily better than CS6, which I own as well.
    Newer CC adobe products will still have a slight speed advantage PPro over resolve, and newest PS will always be king....but affinity is close behind
    AE vs Fusion are entirely different beasts....AE still wins for motion graphics, but can be done in Fusion. Fusion kills it in all other VFX
    With Resolve 14 Editing is even slightly faster as it used to be on PPro.
    And shooting 4kplus RAW for at least 5 years I even have a notebook on set now with Resolve 14 to playback and check footage realltime.
    Of course I miss some of my plug-ins in AE but Fusion Studio has so much more to offer . . .

It depends on your habits and pipeline but is worth consideration . . .

Regards,

Marcus
    Digital Cinema, Motion Control, VFX . . . cine-vfx.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Yeah.
    Since CC2014 things got broken and slowed down.

I understand people who doesn’t like the subscription business model. I was one of them, but now I look at the subscription model as an option I
    didn’t have before. So I do not agree with the statement above.

I’m coming from Avid Media composer, and that software gave me a permanent headache. I could have written a whole book about all issues with that Avid MC.
    Adobe is a different story. I have the same feeling with Adobe as I have with Side Effects. Its moving forward. Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition
    and Media Encoder are thigh integrated through dynamic link. And Photoshop and Illustrator complete the whole package. Upgrading is easy, and
    the upgrades comes on regular basis.

They listen to their customers as well. If you don’t believe me, why not take Walter Murch word for it. At 6:05 if you don’t want to see the
    whole clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEN_6E7Pg7A

It is easy to edit in Premiere Pro. It has all the tools you need and more. It is easy to sync sound, and it is easy to mix sound using the Essential sound panel
    in Premiere and Audition. Lumetry Color panel is a powerful color correction tool, but I guess it is not up to Resolve. Premiere Pro has a new text tool called
    Essential Graphic Panel with a responsive design option. It is more like Photoshop and not a separate window. You can stabilize your footage using Warp
    Stabilizer or sending it to After Effects for more options like Camera shake Deblur.

I am a fusion user since the early days, using it mostly for composition. After Effects for Keying and Effects. The AE Keylight keyer is one of the best keyer
    in the industry. Better than the previous keyer in Fusion. (Haven’t work with Delta keyer yet).

Ok I will stop here. I do not defend Adobe as a company. I just think they are on the right track when it comes to video/sound production software.
    To make it short, it is not broken and has not slowed down.

Reco

subscription is great when it it works, keeps low cost, doesn't break backward compatibility, doesn't tie the user to subscription, and remains secure.

it will be interesting to see the Adobe / AutoDesk strategy in 10+ years.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

If greed is anything to go by, expect to see separations. Like pay for brushes, effects etc..

cinematic weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinland View Post
    I'd love to be free of Adobe's shackles, but that's not usually my call to make. I use several competing applications but, again, they're only useful if all I need do is deliver final product. When I have to interact with an existing pipeline, as in my need to have a current Maya subscription, my hands are proverbially tied. As a solo freelancer I don't usually get to pick the pipeline tools.

Monopolies suck.
    I totally agree.

But if you have a choice it is time to rethink.
    And it goes both ways.
    When freelancers switch software tools studios will follow in my experience.
    Sooner or later.
    Since studios and productions need to cut costs and decide project based on the pipeline they consider the available talent out there and on what software they work on.
    I see studios cut their subscriptions and rent monthly when the projects demand.
    And they also switch to new seats of perpetual licenses on alternative software when possible.

So.
    Things already change . . .

Regards,

Marcus

I hear you, Marcus, and I agree. I do advocate for alternatives when folks are willing to listen, and I've successfully pushed LW into more than one gig. I guess my point is that until such successes become the norm I still have to shell out for the subscriptions so as to cover all bases. One day I hope that will change, and I do help to move in that direction, but that day is not today.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

cinematic weirdo
    I hear you, Marcus, and I agree. I do advocate for alternatives when folks are willing to listen, and I've successfully pushed LW into more than one gig. I guess my point is that until such successes become the norm I still have to shell out for the subscriptions so as to cover all bases. One day I hope that will change, and I do help to move in that direction, but that day is not today.
    Yes !
    It is important to make people aware of the upcoming opportunities.
    It takes time to convince and show what is possible.
    Of course the ''norm'' continues for a while and it really depends on the circumstances.

Today is not the day . ... but the future is now ;-)

Regards,

Marcus

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Monopolies suck.
    Considering all the alternatives that people continuously post here as they whine about subscriptions, I'd hardly call Adobe "a monopoly".

That it's the market leader and clients often request files in their formats is undeniable, hardly a monopoly.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Considering all the alternatives that people continuously post here as they whine about subscriptions, I'd hardly call Adobe "a monopoly".
    Not in the most pedantic sense of the word, no, but their market position is akin to that of various US cable companies. There are sufficient barriers to entry (different between Adobe and my analogy, but similar in scope). "Monopolistic behavior" might be more accurate. When the rubber meets the ramp the pressure on the consumer to comply rather than be in control is similar.

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12