Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My lightwave 2015 64 bit installation on windows suddenly Gone

My lightwave 2015 64 bit installation on windows suddenly Gone

Weird, my 64 bit installation exe files are suddenly gone, the 32 bit versions are there though, but not the 64 bit.
    Wonder what may have caused this, and if I can track what happened to those, recent boot and update of windows 10 perhaps?

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Yeah... Not only is next not released, but 2015 and earlier versions are being retroactively "un-released".

Didnt you get the email?
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

In Windows 7, I've had all Lightwave disappear when I drag the licence file over to the splash screen, then have to reinstall, but this is the type of thing I was trying to allude to in the other thread when I mentioned scrutinising the operating system as a future consideration as well as the licence model of the software. I have found Windows "essential" updates to be something of an unknown quantity which can steamroller through some installations on a machine. Maybe try a LW reinstall or a system restore. Hope it gets sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Yeah... Not only is next not released, but 2015 and earlier versions are being retroactively "un-released".

Didnt you get the email?
    Yeah thatīs what I thought, I didnīt get the email though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    In Windows 7, I've had all Lightwave disappear when I drag the licence file over to the splash screen, then have to reinstall, but this is the type of thing I was trying to allude to in the other thread when I mentioned scrutinising the operating system as a future consideration as well as the licence model of the software. I have found Windows "essential" updates to be something of an unknown quantity which can steamroller through some installations on a machine. Maybe try a LW reinstall or a system restore. Hope it gets sorted.
    reinstalling isnīt a problem, except itīs a problem
    In the sensee that it is tiresome, and reinstalling plugins again, should have made a backup folder of the plugins folder for that 64 installement.
    a system restore is a bit out of the question right now.

Frequenter
    If itīs only the executables, is it not an option just to copy those back from the installation archive?
    Have you by any chance installed a new virus checker recently?
    I had some trouble with my kasperskylab the other day, as it insisted to quarantine my fusion.exe every time it scanned through the folders...

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    If itīs only the executables, is it not an option just to copy those back from the installation archive?
    Have you by any chance installed a new virus checker recently?
    I had some trouble with my kasperskylab the other day, as it insisted to quarantine my fusion.exe every time it scanned through the folders...
    Hi!
    well..not a new virus checker, I rebooted the computer after a long time without rebooting, so windows 10 had some updates, and also avast that needed to shut down the computer and restart, I checked avast logs, but couldnīt find anything in there that indicates it should have removed files, so I have to look at windows logs instead if I get the time to see what was going on.

Anyway, yes..my other folders are there, I thought the plugins folder was gone, but by old habit I was watching out for the plugins folder in a higher level and forgot that the plugins nowadays are within the support folder, my bad..
    So it may work to copy the bin folder, that is the only one missing. or I simply just copy the whole shabang, and put it on an external drive and reinstall and then reinstall the plugins again, I do not think it will be an issue...itīs just that I would like to know why it happen to avoid it in the future.

Yeah...fusion I also think may have been warned for by certain antivirus, you could do an exclusion and add that to a list in your antivirus, that should be possible with Kaspersky I think, it is in avast anyway.
    I had that issue with tarons verve fluid painting software, and had to make an exception for it while downloading and then when opening the file.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Weird, my 64 bit installation exe files are suddenly gone, the 32 bit versions are there though, but not the 64 bit.
    I just downloaded LW 2015.3 32 & 64 bit without any problems..

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I just downloaded LW 2015.3 32 & 64 bit without any problems..
    That is no surprise and thatīs how it should be and probably is

Not sure if you have read my post carefully from the beginning? or if I was unclear, the issue isnīt downloading from the account, it was about my 64 bit installation on Windows that had itīs bin folder removed, probably by windows 10 update, or avast... or maybe if I accidently was lurking in that folder and just so happened to hit the delete button, not likely..it would also be in the recycle bin, which it aint.

TrueArt Support
    Did you have system crash/lack of power, which caused rescan of the all files on the all partitions recently during bootup.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Did you have system crash/lack of power, which caused rescan of the all files on the all partitions recently during bootup.. ?
    Nope, I just rebooted since I wanted to do that, no system crash, no lack of power.

Was the entire folder gone or just the files ?
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    That is no surprise and thatīs how it should be and probably is

Not sure if you have read my post carefully from the beginning? or if I was unclear, the issue isnīt downloading from the account, it was about my 64 bit installation on Windows that had itīs bin folder removed, probably by windows 10 update, or avast... or maybe if I accidently was lurking in that folder and just so happened to hit the delete button, not likely..it would also be in the recycle bin, which it aint.
    Yikes! That is a bit scary. I'm still on Win7 but keep hearing these horror stories of Win10 "updates".

Years ago, I had a similar thing happen with LW 9.6 I think. None of the Beta testers as it turned out had actually tested an option for the new "Help" system. So, here comes me, the "Bug Magnet" & tried an option other than the default and ... my ENTIRE LW folder got deleted. Contacted Newtek & they confirmed it as a repeatable issue.

Fortunately, I'd made a full backup only 10 minutes prior so didn't lose anything, but ...

Is there an option to only notify but not install the updates with Win10?

No, the Microsoft advertising platform version 10 will always install the updates, you can delay them but as long as it has a connection to internet it will download and install them sooner or later.
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

Quote Originally Posted by magiclight View Post
    Was the entire folder gone or just the files ?
    The entire Bin folder is gone, but not the other folders, so no..not just the files.

Quote Originally Posted by magiclight View Post
    No, the Microsoft advertising platform version 10 will always install the updates, you can delay them but as long as it has a connection to internet it will download and install them sooner or later.
    Thatīs not nice.

That's bad!

Did you have LW installed in the \Program Files\NewTek or \Program Files (x86)\NewTek folder? Do you run an English or Swedish version of Windows?

I'm asking because these folders are virtualized (meaning you don't really see the real folder, in German it would be for example \Programme but on the disk it really is \Program Files. The same applies for 32/64/WOW64 installations and registry settings as far as I know.

This is one of the reasons I always use / install English Operating Systems and if possible only run 64bit applications on Win64.

Anyway, no excuse for removing your binaries and I don't know the reason / solution for your problem unfortunately.

For anything other than 3D and VMware (requiring lots of memory and processor power) I use Linux/Unix/Mac anyway. Hmm thinking of it I'm writing this on the Surface, so not really
    For work I use a MacBook Pro, far less issues with updates.

What I hate specially is when I forgot to cap the internet connection and disable updates on a Win10 PC and it restarts middle of a render That's one of the reasons why I'm offline with the desktop machines whenever possible. Besides that I really like Win10.

Besides this issue, I hope you're still having fun with your new machine!
    Last edited by Marander; 11-28-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast