Thread: Is AE worth it in this setup?

Is AE worth it in this setup?

Hello everyone,

I have been a Tricaster Mini user for several years and recently updated to AE and added an NDI camera. I am still learning the differences between vanilla TC Mini and AE, but it sure is simple to add an NDI camera!

I am consulting with a church on installing a Tricaster for recording/streaming and a couple of PTZ cameras. One thing I'd like some advice on is if it is worth going with AE version of the Mini or not. I understand from this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....aster+mini+ndi) that without AE, the Mini will need to use the Net inputs for the cameras if I want them to connect over NDI. Can someone explain that a little more in detail - will there be any loss in functionality specifically regarding the PTZ cameras if they are connecting via Net inputs instead of actual NDI? I realize that there are more inputs with AE, but how does other functionality compare? I can't really test it myself as I have already updated my Mini to AE and I didn't use a PTZ until after I did the update.

Also, I am looking at perhaps the PTZoptics NDI cameras. Any one have opinions on those cameras?

I cant speak to controlling the PTZ cameras AE vs Standard, but I can say it is probably worth the upgrade anyway. If someone is looking to purchase a MINI at this very moment they might want to look at the final daya of the MINI bundle they currently have a promotion for. It comes with AE already installed.

www.newtek.com/promo/tc-mini-bundle/

Bundles Includes
    TriCaster Mini (HDMI or SDI) with Integrated Display
    Two Internal Drives
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface
    NewTek custom travel case
    NewTek Mouse and Keyboard
    and TriCaster Advanced Edition software

I have a MINI but could not think about using it without all the features of AE. In a church setting having those extra NDI connection helps out when you are using computer programs that are often time associated in a broadcast. Much easier than having to convert things.