Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Export animation data from Lightwave to blender

If you load vertrex cache animation Blender will mess up the Y and Z axises, so you have to fix it manually unless it has been solved.

LW motion 2 Blender python script

Moriens,

try this if you want to load a .mot file onto a Blender object. "how to use" included in the header.
    LightwaveMotion2Blender.zip

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post
    I thought MDD was only good for mesh deformation rather than straight object animation. Admittedly, it wasn't something I looked at when using LW.
    well, it's where the points BE, so you can use it to brute force all animation, but I get your meaning. MDD can be the mode of final choice if nothing, NOTHING else works. The nice bit is IME it tends to scoop up everything, motions, deformations, distortions, so it's got that going for it.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    I just mean using point cache is good for anything mesh related. Soft, hard or whatever. It is just another option. And it has less overhead.
    I will argue against this.

1) A simple plane (4 points) saved as an MDD will have 4 transforms instead of 1. So, 4 times more expensive to handle. Turn this into an object with one million points, you will have 1 million transforms instead of just 1.

2) Other packages handles this very nicely with Alembic; when you export an Alembic from Maya, as an example, all non-deforming meshes will be exported with a single transform, while all the deformed meshes will get exported with the point cache. LightWaves current Alembic implementation treats all objects as if they are deformed, which generates gigantic ABC files and brought into Houdini, everything goes to a slideshow kind of performance.

Many times during our current project, our Houdini artists needed stuff from LW. And Houdini is probably the worst app regarding FBX. so I exported an FBX that I then opened in Maya, and from there generated an Alembic that the Houdini guys needed.

So, I am just saying that Pointcaches are nice, but only if they are needed. If one can solve the rest with single transforms, then that is the way to go forward.
    Last edited by Cageman; 11-12-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

OK. I see. I will be honest. I have never exported Alembic from LightWave. So point taken. I have always come in from other packages, mainly, Maya. To LightWave and to Blender.

I prefer if as an animation pipeline over FBX. But regardless. It is an option to be aware of. You should not exclude it. There is also an Alembic export from Blender. I don't know if it suffers from the same issue as LW though.

At any rate that is all good and valuable info to have. Thanks!

Edit: And what I mean mainly by less overhead is no rigs. (which is one of the main accepted and intended reasons for Alembic) But if that is eliminated by poor export from LightWave, that can be an issue.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 11-12-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    If you load vertrex cache animation Blender will mess up the Y and Z axises, so you have to fix it manually unless it has been solved.
    The new vertex cache handling in Blender is quite nice. Don't import as mdd through the file menu for example. There are constraints and modifiers for it now that work much better.

I did some fiddlings with cloth fx deforms in lightwave on some blankets, then used mdd scan directly from clothf..which usually works well "inside" of lightwave, but blender couldnīt handle that, did a rescan with Lightwave mdd reader and loaded in to blender, that worked, I was then free to weight paint in areas on the cloth and use the weight painted map as fluid emission for fire, since turbulenceFD doesnīt have fluid emission (at least not last time I checked) and since lightwave layout doesnīt have weight paint either(modeler and plugin not included when refering)
    Anyway..worked great for having cloth or window curtains getting caught on fire, though for actual effictive handling, I suppose Cageman knows more about that.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    One of the reasons I wanted NewTek/LWG to hire a Documentation Manager was to incorporate exactly THIS kind of information into the dox on an ongoing basis. Trying to locate this info, despite Google, is excessive overhead for users.

IMO, say U$30K a year dumped on some guy, perhaps the LWiki guy, to constantly incorporate such information in the PDFs would be money well spent.

They do have a guy. Ben Vost. I do know a few months ago he was working on the docs and it has been his job. Of course I have no idea what is happening now. But, to my knowledge that position has been filled and I am sure as soon as the dust settles here, assuming all comes out well, he would be very approachable.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    Moriens,

try this if you want to load a .mot file onto a Blender object. "how to use" included in the header.
    LightwaveMotion2Blender.zip
    Had not seen that, useful. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Ben has always been approachable, top guy.
    Too old to die young.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Lightbulb Entire manual into public domain.

They do have a guy. Ben Vost. I do know a few months ago he was working on the docs and it has been his job. Of course I have no idea what is happening now. But, to my knowledge that position has been filled and I am sure as soon as the dust settles here, assuming all comes out well, he would be very approachable.
    Ben Vost's (BeeVee?) tasks have, TMK, never included continuous update and correction of the PDFs. Because, TMK, they've never done that at all. I'm struggling to remember even "ommission and erratta" releases.

It's been more of a traditional "write the ginormous manual" kind of job, not "monitor the fora and see if there're good tips and workflows that should be added to the documentation so people don't kill themselves trying to do this one thing that Greenlaw figured out three years ago". It's a huge job, and IMO BeeVee has done a solid job on the manuals, BUT i.m.o. that approach is no longer adequate to the task of helping users get the most out of the software.

I believe the manual is a good FOUNDATION for evolving documentation.

One thing they could do, which would cost nothing, zero, nada, is place the entire manual into the public domain.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 11-13-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Well, contact him. He was, as far as I recall, the first and original LightWiki guy. So if anyone gets the concept continuous updates and user contribution to a live documentation, it would be Ben.

I wrote that Subdivision Surfaces tutorial at his request all the way back in 2007.

Right now. I can tell you as a matter of fact, that documentation, or a person to take it in the direction you would like to see it go, is not at all the issue right at this juncture.

But absolutely contact him.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Right now. I can tell you as a matter of fact, that documentation, or a person to take it in the direction you would like to see it go, is not at all the issue right at this juncture.
    Oh, we go 'way back, despite my brain fart earlier. He knows my thoughts on the subject. I just don't see Upper Management on board with this, esp. since I've been suggesting it for like a decade.

It's like the lowest of LHF.

(IIRC, the LWiki guy I'm thinking of is Irish-- definitely UK.)(Wow, age REALLY does a number on your memory.)

Well Ben Vost was absolutely the guy in 2007. I don't know if there was a guy before that. But we all know what happened after.

Regarding everything else. Well clearly something is afoot that is taking priority.

And who knows what we are going to see at the end off this.

But trust me this much. That would be the time to bring this up again.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    But trust me this much. That would be the time to bring this up again.
    You mean, when it ships? :\

If NewTek were doing the same thing with the TriCaster et al, I think I'd have a better shot. For all I know, they are (no idea).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast