Page 38 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: ???news about lightwave 3d next???

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I'm no fan of Blender at all, in fact, there's few programs I like less, but feature wise, LW isn't even close to Blender. Workflow is arguable. But I guess my point being was that someone starting out in 3D where cost is an issue might look at the two programs and see Blender and think, wait I can get a program that is less destructive, has fluids, gpu rendering, sculpting, better hair, better UV mapping, match moving, camera tracking, video editor, game engine, eevee viewport, built in compositor, non linear animation, in a unified application and its free?
    Agree, but the sad thing is, Newtek newer communicated the strength they had over blender. So how should a new user know what they get from lw ?
    I mean UV tools are a good example, I don't think its better.. its different, it got some features I do miss in lw, but on the other hand it also misses some stuff you got in lw.

Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post
    Speaking as a hobbyist who transitioned to Blender from LW a while back, I honestly can say the only thing I really miss is the adjustable falloff on some modelling tools. Even there, Blender has a pretty close replacement so overall, I'd say I find Blender to be more than capable of replacing LW for the average hobbyist and then some. I put a lot of money and time into LW, saddens me to see several years on that things are exactly as they were.
    I admit, initially, I was like HRGiger regarding Blender, now I find it more intuitive than LW for me and way more flexible in terms of modelling.
    Yes it completely replaced organic modeling + some stuff I originally did in lw, but for archviz stuff I'm still faster to model in lw. Also cycles do provide real nice
    renderings, but for some simple stuff you are sometimes faced with exorbitant render times. Also hardware requirements are higher.
    You know as a blender user lw can be an ideal product if you want to expand in the realms of commercial 3d applications.
    But for this newtek has to fetch those users.

I really don't want to bash blender, its a great product, this is all about newtek marketing.
    Last edited by tischbein3; 11-20-2017 at 11:18 PM.

It’s difficult to communicate lightwave’s strengths vs blender to potential customers, even if they certainly exist, because as far as bullet points go lightwave stacks up poorly, and costs money to boot. Modeler is incredibly good at getting directly at and adjusting geometry in countless ways and has a deep library of tools that can do lots of helpful things so it excels at mesh clean up and weirdo non-standard modeling tasks, but it lacks a bunch of, at this point pretty standard stuff, like sculpting or a modifier stack/history. How do you communicate that to people as part of a sales pitch? “Got a bunch of messy substandard models you need to clean up? Lightwave!”
    Same thing with UVs. Modeler’s super direct treatment of UVs and ability to just get in there and tweak is way better than blender and it has a bunch of incredibly useful tools like the ability to easily transfer UVs to weights, and countless other stuff, but it’s unwrapping tools are garbage compared to blender, and that’s probably what 99% of people want to see.

Layout has its own similar issues. It’s got incredibly flexible features and can solve lots of weird problems, but you can’t create a dang IK joint with a pole vector without making your own rotate plane setup, and there are about a billion ways to use the lw constraints wrong. 30 IK Goals on one chain? Sure! Why not! God knows what it will do, though. Whereas with blender, one video tutorial later and you can build a perfectly serviceable Ik rig.

Lightwave needs to maintain whatever foothold it still has in professional industries and try to build from there. If they try to compete with blender on blender’s turf they will lose bad. It’s just a no brainer for new blood to go with blender.

Quote Originally Posted by jperk View Post
    Next release of Blender looks very promising. I'm interested. Not big on the interface, but it's got all the tools one needs. The next release is going for a more Modo-ish interface.
    Like someone else stated before, why are you even here? Trolling? You do not seem to care about Lightwave but in just about every post you tell everyone how good everything BUT Lightwave is.

never mind...
    Last edited by Rayek; 11-21-2017 at 02:42 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikSkoglund View Post
    Like someone else stated before, why are you even here? Trolling? You do not seem to care about Lightwave but in just about every post you tell everyone how good everything BUT Lightwave is.
    I think its about 50% of the people in these negative threads that have actually left lightwave, been pointing it out for quite some time, if you have left lightwave, why do you feel the need to just return 20 times a day and post only negative comments to everyone else's positive comments? and I'm not pointing fingers its just a generalisation of what the forum has become, or are you all being paid by the other app sales departments because they are worried that LW could make a big comeback?
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

I can't say I blame the negativity and disgruntled users/ex-users, its a bi product of Newteks poor communication. They need to get a handle on it or just kill it. It's a fickle industry anyhow so just got to move with the times and invest your time and money where you think it's best placed. At this moment in time thats not here!
    Last edited by Otterman; 11-21-2017 at 03:15 AM.

there are some guys who come here just for bashing lightwave. they already moved on different packages afaik. i just do not understand the motivation staying here to spread negativism only.
    Last edited by tyrot; 11-21-2017 at 03:21 AM.

There nothing mythical about modeler, and If I were to unwrap and map a character I sure as hell wouldn't do it in lightwave, and forget any uv packing. I would personally use 3D coat for those things which is probably better than both blender and lightwave for that stuff. however for other generic uv tasks, lightwave is very well suited.
    My example:
    I did a lot of UV work in blender during a project about two years ago, We weren't using typical unwrapping methods, instead it was sort of a pixel perfect almost pseudo sprite sheet workflow, Its hard to explain really... but anyways. Blender's great grid and numeric snap move tools were great in the UV window and are vastly better than any other such snapping/numeric setup i have used, but certain things frustrated me to no end, and ultimately led me to go back to lightwave for the next project. Things like the cumbersome way you select overlapping uv coordinates. using the "C" selection tool seemed to be the best way cause blender's lasso is imo garbage. and I really hated the "C" tool compared to lightwaves lasso. IN general I think Lightwaves selection tools are underrated. and Blenders are seriously lacking. the extra time needed to pick up and drop transform tools in lightwave is offset by the fact that you don't need to pick up a selection tool like in blender. Sure, in blender you can drag individual faces no selection... so what? I literally NEVER had to do that in that project. It was also a serious inconvenience to me that polygon and point selections were distinct from uv selections. it was a second selection I was forced to do in the UV window. For The next project I went back to lightwave because it was just much quicker for me. and thats despite the lack of a decent pixel grid which I could manage with plugins and foresight. but I suppose thats a matter of taste. those are some of MY reasons at any rate. I am sure others have their own. I also found blenders UV window harder to see stuff in for some reason, the relatively fat outlined line look they use for edges in uv space made the perception of precision suffer for me.

That said, ultimately my point is that Newtek can make a convincing case that lightwave has better direct editing tools than blender and is better suited to tasks for which that is a priority, but it doesn't matter, because:
    A. Nobody cares, except people who regularly deal with weird data and have strange problems to solve. Which is not a typical use case for people looking for new software
    B. It is open to debate whether or not Lightwave actually is better for direct geometry manipulation, and a lot of it is about personal preference.
    C and most important. Lighwave is sorely lacking in a bunch of really useful features that are more or less industry standard and blender has them .

edit:
    I should add that this was a long project. like a year or so. So this wasn't just a quick in and out. I spent long enough immersed in blender to both really appreciate it and really get pissed off by it.

edit2: dang it can people stop erasing their posts that I am responding to. I look like a lunatic!
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 11-21-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    there are some guys who come here just for bashing lightwave. they already moved on different packages afaik. i just do not understand the motivation staying here to spread negativism only.
    Because they pi55ed with Newtek and want to vent. Can you blame them?

When LWG/Newtek releases the next version of Lightwave, it will wash away all these negative posting and feelings and once they use the software..it will be replace with all new *itching and whining: "why didn't they include this and why did they change that" and "this is really awesome but". It never fails, Softimage XSI took forever to come out because they made huge changes but their users stuck through the development and was rewarded.
    My only hope that once release, LW NEXT works better than advertised...that will squash all the concerns but software development is nit easy or cheap.

the key world is when. when it’s too late ?

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jperk View Post
    Next release of Blender looks very promising. I'm interested. Not big on the interface, but it's got all the tools one needs. The next release is going for a more Modo-ish interface.
    I was exactly the same, I just *couldn't* get pst the interface & "that damned 3D cursor thingy". Now, I acutally like the fluidity of the UI and use the 3d cursor constantly, it's actually a great tool. That said, pre 2.5 urgh.just.no.
    Too old to die young.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I'm left-handed; does that make me superior or inferior? Who decides?
    Speaking as another leftie, I'd go with the former.
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post
    I was exactly the same, I just *couldn't* get pst the interface & "that damned 3D cursor thingy". Now, I acutally like the fluidity of the UI and use the 3d cursor constantly, it's actually a great tool. That said, pre 2.5 urgh.just.no.
    In one of the recent Blender Conference talks, they said that students who doesn't use 3D software before, kinda getting used to Blender easier.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    the key world is when. when it’s too late ?
    Back between v9 - v10.

When pros abandoned - new comers don't see a reason why.
    Lack users and companies find it hard to find users - companies don't see a reason why.
    Lack users and companies - plug-ins developer don't see a reason why.
    And it spiral from there.

Maybe much earlier. When plug-ins developer felt that LW ate their lunch.

We complained that Autodesk buys plug-ins and 'sloppily' put it in. But this gives plug-in developers the feeling that "getting bought" as winning the lottery. Imagine putting 3 years of hard work and cash only to see AD develop the same thing.

Page 38 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast