Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype 'backwards' with our 850 ?

Skype 'backwards' with our 850 ?

Hi all -

We have a client that gets regular interview requests (something of an authority in his field) who wants to do his remote interview appearances from our studio rather than his current phone/Skype method.

Is this possible with our 850 ?

Can we set up a studio session and live-stream our talent to the requesting site? (I am presuming they use TalkShow or something similar on their end. )

If that is possible then how is the reverse channel audio (them to us) handled?

Or is this a can of worms that should remain unexplored ?

Thanks in advance

Stu
    Technical Director at TvStudioForRent.com

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras
    Some Day we will be digital!

Hi Stu,

You have a couple of options to make this happen. One is to get a TalkShow, which will receive the Skype call and it then comes into your 850 via SDI, and you can take an SDI out from 850 back to TalkShow to return to caller.

Option two is that you use another PC for the Skype machine and somehow get the video and audio from that PC into the 850. Either iVGA or maybe a Scan Converter to SDI? But then you have to somehow get a return signal from 850 into the Skype PC and that can be difficult. Perhaps a video capture card that makes the incoming video appear as a web cam to Skype?

As for audio, you can set up a mix-minus in TC Audio Mixer to send the caller an AUX feed that includes all TriCaster audio EXCEPT their own voice, so they don't get the delayed echo of themselves. Works well for Caller to use a headset with mic and that solves a lot of sound issues as well, avoiding them having speakers which are then picked up on their mic.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thanks Jeff - but I may not have been clear in what I was asking:

Can our studio / 850 be the 'source' of the Skype conversation - so our local expert is in our studio and we act as the Skype 'client'?

Stu

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras

I did realize after my post that you were asking for the reverse, but really it is the SAME thing, doesn't matter who is initiating the call. Either way, you can't do Skype ON the TriCaster, you must use another PC or TalkShow and then interface that to the TriCaster. You can initiate the call, or receive the call - all the hardware and connections will need to be the same.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Great, thanks Jeff . . .

I shall put this on the 'to do' list . . . . since a TalkShow isn't on the horizon at the moment

Stu

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras

It's pretty easy. We us it the same way to send our MixMinus and confidence out to our skype client. All you need is NDI Transmit and skype on a PC. That'll let you 'see' an NDI source as a camera in skype. Just set your skype camera to NDI Transmit and NDI Transmit to the mix from the tricaster.

I you can't use skype for it, have a look at MediaLooks as they have a tool to transmit NDI over the internet.

Ant.

Thanks Anthony -

A quick peek at the MediaLooks site revealed that they offer a SDK for integrating video into an application - but right now I don't have time to write and debug an application . . . .

And with my current schedule I probably won't have free time for such an endeavor until early in 2037.

Also, the SDK price varies from about $1,750 to $10K or more depending on the resonant frequencies of the bells and whistles. Eek!

Ah well,

Stu

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras

Sorry.... check this URL https://www.medialooks.com/ndi they've not link the site to it yet. I've been testing this and it's amazing! If you can get company firewall port 8889? open. But the skype and transmit pro option works well too.

Ant.

The TC850 does not support NDI unfortunately

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

If you get into Advanced Editon, which has all sorts of benefits beyond NDI, it's very easy. That would not require having a TalkShow unit.

Of course that would also require you're getting your system upgraded to an 860, too, but that does also have so many benefits.

Otherwise, you're pretty much locked into doing things with a scan converter and SDI.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Don't believe an 850 qualifies for the 860 upgrade, would have to be the 855 for that.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

Run Skype on an external pc
    Purchase yourselves one of these : http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-sdi
    and run it between ur 850s output and the Skype pc.
    You now have ur 850 as a feed for Skype.

A.

TriCaster 860 PortaStudio
    I've done that with a second PC running Skype (and worked with Adobe Connect) using a Matrox MX02LE box. They have dropped support for that product, but it should still run if you have a Windows 7 or 8 box around.

An SDI connect Spark can be used as the "WebCam" for a Skype call. You can send it the signal directly from the camera, or from the 850

Quote Originally Posted by lennienelson View Post
    An SDI connect Spark can be used as the "WebCam" for a Skype call. You can send it the signal directly from the camera, or from the 850
    I'm a little late revisiting this thread, but I'll ask does the spark act as a webcam ? I thought the intention of this device is to output ndi. Ndi natively does not show as a source in Skype, unless I've missed the post from Skype saying they too are ndi compatible?? If not you'll need ndi transmit to bring the ndi source into Skype. So just possing the Q. in the hope I've not missed anything?

A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast