Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking insight: current state-of-the-art in 3D-worthy PCs

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    i didn't think Lightwave could render fully on a dual xeon setup as it can only see one processor at a time?
    It would only see one processor for modeling, but if you were doing CPU rendering it would register as an available node/threads.

If you were doing GPU rendering the second CPU wouldn't gain anything.

If I remember correctly. It has been about a decade since I used a dual processor machine. So, take it for what it's worth.

I just bought a 1950 Threadripper...I'm looking for optimizing suggestions...drivers etc?Any idea?

creacon
    Of course it can, has been able to use dual workstations for 15 years or so.

creacon

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    i didn't think Lightwave could render fully on a dual xeon setup as it can only see one processor at a time?

You should checkout https://www.pugetsystems.com/ they are in Washington and maybe a little pricey but their service is off the hook. I bought a system a few years ago. Allowed them to run a checkup a year later and they detected a bad stick of memory and sent me a new one. They offer additional services if you want it as well. It’s worth a look I think

Good thread! My current system is really old so I'm very interested in this topic.

I've been buying HP for nearly 10 years and pretty satisfied with the gear and service. It's what we use at Dreamworks too.

That said, I think my next system will be custom built. It's been years since I've done that myself and I don't exactly have a lot of time, so I'll probably get somebody to do it for me.

Greenlaw, might be of use >
    https://pcpartpicker.com
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

think it should be cool, that way you can choose PC parts that are "compatible" quite safely
    all you need to focus on is Ram/CPU/motherboard

+strong power supply if you run multiple GPU cards
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Fun thread, I'll pitch in my .02

I've always build my own systems. All the way back to a kid where I had to beg my dad to purchase a "math co-processor" to go with my 386 chip so I could run AUTOCAD!

We have BOXX machines at the office and they are very well built. But the components are all off the shelf. You pay for SUPPORT, CUSTOM CASES and Tried and True components that go together well for DCC.

The last is less of an issue I find these days. Just about any quality product will go with any other quality product just the same. It use to be that Memory and drivers and motherboards needed to be matched up better... I don't feel that is the case these days.

As mentioned by others it's all in what you want to do with LW and this new machine. What render technology will you want to use? LW's new system, using CPU. Or Octane or other GPU engine?

If it's CPU you can go single i7, dual xeon, or even quad! Yes LW uses every single thread you can give it, from like day 1 20 years ago. It was a big deal back then. The more you give it the better, until you get to modler!!! doh. Try single thread slicing a big object.

It's fun, exciting and rewarding all at once to build your own machine and do production on it. But if anything goes wrong, you are the support. If your not comfortable in that roll, I'd buy HP, Dell, BOXX or other system. But just remember your paying upfront for something you may not need, but Insurance is the same!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12