Thread: Premiere CC and NDI

Premiere CC and NDI

If you haven't been using the NDI output capabilities in Premiere CC (and other compatible Adobe apps) you are missing out!

This week I had to produce and direct the National Radio Hall of Fame and had to deal with some sponsor graphics which were to appear on the screens in the venue before the main event.

These were created in Photoshop (by my request). Their background layer was a stock image bokeh.

I hid that layer in Photohop and created a series of individual files, one for each sponsor screen.

Imported these directly into Premiere (merging layers). Then, lined them all up in a sequence, with nice dissolves between, on top of a motion bokeh background (sourced from Videoblocks).

Set Adobe to play out to NDI and loop.

In the TriCaster, set an input to my Premiere workstation (visible via NDI).

Then, during the course of the dinner, I merely clicked on my graphic playout channel to have the series of images nicely play to the screens in the venue.

Yes, this could have been done with DDRs, GFX channels, animated buffers, etc. Or by creating a self-contained video file of the images to play out. BUT, this way I didn't tie up any resources on my system before the big production (other than an unused button) and had tremendous flexibility.

The nice thing was, that if I needed to make last minute modifications to the Photoshop files, they were instantly changeable and updateable via Premier's own integration. If it was something more substantial, I could merely have put the main event welcome screen image (which was a photoshop file exported back over to the TriCaster) to cover anything that was going on the GFX Playout channel.

It is very, very slick and really easy to use.

I encourage everyone to try it out.

There are many other applications that have been posted regarding Adobe CC integration but this was particularly nifty. Really makes your Premiere workstation act as a very sophisticated playout box, extremely easily, and at $0.00.

Cheers!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

TriCaster 860 PortaStudio
    Is that a plugin for CC or are you using NDI scan convert and designating a monitor to output?

Cc plug in. Free in tools kit.

Fritz

NDI for Premiere is great! I have a TC1 which can work with 4k sources, but I had no way to physically attach my 4k camera to TC1. At least to play around, I was able to put my 4k clips into a Premiere timeline and play the timeline, then I had beautiful 4k coming into the TC1 over the network.

Once the Premiere NDI plugin is installed, ANY time you are using Premiere, the timeline playback is visible/available as NDI. And not just to TriCaster, but to ANY computer for instance running NDI Monitor app.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

TriCaster 860 PortaStudio
    I have it working now. I'm guessing it will come in handy at some point.

Just a quick note, if you have installed the plugin and cannot hear audio on your workstation, it most likely is sending the audio out the NDI channel. You can change this in the preferences, but it caught me one time wondering what was going on

I know this thread has been dead for a bit. but I have a quick question. I am running AE 2 on a tc 460, my pc is running latest version of NDI Tools and adobe CC 2018. My TC sees my PC, but I all i get is the whole Premiere GUI, how do I get just the Main monitor to play through to my TC. I have changed the output to NT NDI output in Playback preferences. Is there anything else I need to do, I know it's something stupid easy.

Also, is there a way to have premiere output audio to the desktop and NDI or is just one or the other?

Thanks

I done figured it out (in my best okie slang)....i new it was simple.