Thread: NDI Problems

NDI Problems

I'm having problems with NDI all of a sudden. I can't get Livetext to Connect.

I think the issue is with the Tricaster because a computer on the same network running NDI Monitor doesn't see the Tricaster. They are both part of the same network and the Tricaster is set to a "Work" Network. Internet is working. Everything seemed to work fine and now things are funky.

It's too late to call support and we have a game tonight. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnotestine View Post
    I'm having problems with NDI all of a sudden. I can't get Livetext to Connect.

I think the issue is with the Tricaster because a computer on the same network running NDI Monitor doesn't see the Tricaster. They are both part of the same network and the Tricaster is set to a "Work" Network. Internet is working. Everything seemed to work fine and now things are funky.

It's too late to call support and we have a game tonight. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?
    Can NDI Monitor see Livetext?
    Gabe Thomas

Does the TriCaster see LiveText as an option in the drop down list of sources? Restart?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Does the TriCaster see LiveText as an option in the drop down list of sources? Restart?
    It did not, but I eventually got it to work.

Here's what I had to do:

-Disabled all of my shared network folders on the Tricaster
    -Plugged Tricaster and Livetext computer into a switch so they are running on the same ethernet Jack
    -Restart both Livetext computer and Tricaster

I'm not sure what part of that equation got things working. I'm testing this morning and it's not working again.

Could this be an issue with our network?

If there weren't connected via a network switch, how were they connected before?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

If there weren't connected via a network switch, how were they connected before?
    Different ethernet jacks on the same network. I don't know why a switch to a single jack would make a difference.

Just throwing out some ideas... if you have an IP phone system, sometimes those are on different subnets. The physical port on the router might be configured differently. If this is a pretty basic netowrk that's probably not the case, but a school or larger office workplace could require some input from the IT department, which will either help you out or shut you down.
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

Quote Originally Posted by ZachSchuster View Post
    Just throwing out some ideas... if you have an IP phone system, sometimes those are on different subnets. The physical port on the router might be configured differently. If this is a pretty basic netowrk that's probably not the case, but a school or larger office workplace could require some input from the IT department, which will either help you out or shut you down.
    Zach,

This is a school network and I'm thinking something the IT department has done is effecting NDI getting through the network. I'm going to call Newtek on Monday and see if they can help me troubleshoot.

Probably the best starting point is to download the NDI Techincal Brief found on the bottom of this page and give it your the school IT dept. If the issue is really on the school network, then the school IT dept is where the change needs to happen. Mostly likely the information the the IT dept will need is in this document.

https://www.newtek.com/ndi/applications/
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Probably the best starting point is to download the NDI Techincal Brief found on the bottom of this page and give it your the school IT dept. If the issue is really on the school network, then the school IT dept is where the change needs to happen. Mostly likely the information the the IT dept will need is in this document.

https://www.newtek.com/ndi/applications/
    It looks to me like ports 5960-5964 need to be open on our network for NDI channel use.

I'll still give Newtek a call and see if they can confirm this is the problem.

Thanks!

John, if you haven't already, plug the IP addresses of the machines into NDI access manager. We find this to be a big help on networks where various automatic discovery features are blocked.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    John, if you haven't already, plug the IP addresses of the machines into NDI access manager. We find this to be a big help on networks where various automatic discovery features are blocked.
    I'll give that a try now. Thanks!