Thread: 3Play 820 Timer Record

3Play 820 Timer Record

Is there a way to schedule a record start time for the 3Play 820. We require unattended record start several times during the day using the “MARK IN” function to initiate recording.

There are no macros or midi on this device.

Perhaps a command line string or Windows Task Scheduler or even external software to emulate the “MARK IN” function.

The 3PLAY 820 doesn't have any macro support, using the Task Scheduler method will not work. I'm not aware of any way to do it with these models, you need a 3PLAY Mini/440/4800 to be able to do this using Task Scheduler.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane. I was hoping for your reply. I figured as much. Had a look at shortcuts also, but not sure if the 'R" keyboard shortcut works for 3Play as it does for Tricaster.
    I check this later today.

Code, I can write, just need a method to access the 3Play, so I write an scheduling app to access this feature.

Given the 1,000s of Tricaster 850/855 XD and 3Play 820/425 still in operation around the world, of which nine units are maintained and supported personally, it would be of great benefit to have a basic midi command set to interface with these older devices. This can be achieved with the addition of a simple, yet small applet which executes at runtime with the Newtek software via the Windows Task Scheduler, as is done currently at boot-time for the Tricaster and 3Play. This “MidiListener” could be freely available via the Newtek download’s page or Kane’s World.

The five basic commands could be:

No User interface, with fixed a Midi channel, note and velocity. This would permit basic control of those series of Tricasters and 3Play, either locally or via the local network (Bonjour/rtmpMidi). This would provide the opportunity for Users to control the Tricaster/3Play either by using custom scheduling software (unattended recording) or distant control from other positions away from the control surface. The scenarios would be endless, and of great benefit to all.