Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runtime error when rendering an AVI

Runtime error when rendering an AVI

Hi folks!
    Does anyone else experience this problem when rendering an AVI? Once mid way to completion, an error message pop out saying there has been a runtime error and the rendering process aborts.

I installed the latest patch (VT3patch4744), but the problem is still there. Any idea what I should try?? Thanks for your help!

sv
    "That which does not kill us
    makes us stronger"
    -F. Nietszche

Newbie Member

Same problem

Greetings. I ran into the same problem when I tried to render out finished products on my VT[3]. Except no matter what codec I chose, it never got more than a quarter of the way through without giving me the runtime error. It turned out that I was rendering to the "wrong drive".

I have an 80gig system drive (IDE) and a 137gig video drive (RAID 0 SCSI) and I was trying to render the final project out to the system drive (because that's where it was going to end up, anyway). When I chose the video drive and rendered to that, I had no problems.

So could it be that it refers to a disk space problem? Not enough room to render would cause Runtime errors instead of a simple warning?

sv
    makes us stronger"
    -F. Nietszche

Newbie Member
    I'm not so sure about that - I had plenty of space on the system drive (over 60gig left). I actually had more space on my system drive than on the video drive at the time I was rendering.

I called Tech Support about it and they didn't really have an answer besides the usual (check DirectX, check build...) and once I found out how to "beat" the problem I didn't question any further.

I'd like to try a separate hard drive (besides the system drive and video drive) and see if I'd have problems rendering to that, but I haven't gotten another one yet.

OK, keep us posted on your investigations and tests. I live with that problem ever since I have my Toaster. I thought it would go away with the first build released by Newtek, it did solve the problem for a short while, until I install the second patch. That bug re-appeared, and this time I could not find a turnaround to bypass it.

Thanks folk
    sv
    makes us stronger"
    -F. Nietszche

Newbie Member
    This might be a dumb question, but do you get that runtime error even when rendering to the video drive (the drive that the video files for your project are on)?

I tried to render to various drives, no luck. When project is long (more than 30 minutes) I get that runtime woes.

sv
    makes us stronger"
    -F. Nietszche

I'm probably stating the obvious -- could it have anything to do with the AVI file size limit?

That's what I first thought too, but according to VT[3] 's specs, there is no AVI file limit. Makes me wonder...

sv
    makes us stronger"
    -F. Nietszche

So much for that idea -- I just rendered an 11gb Uncompressed AVI and it works fine.

Newbie Member
    Greetings!

I think I may have found a solution to the problem.

I had the same problem when rendering out a project, and it turns out that VT[3] would crahs because I was trying to render to the same drive that an embedded subproject file was on. I noticed this was the problem because it would always crash at the same point, which was during the rendering of the subproject within the main project. So, I moved the subproject file off of the drive and it rendered without crashing.

I hope this helps, and I also hope it makes sense.

Sean Zicari

Newbie Member
    I misspelled the word 'crash' and I apologize. It is 'crash', not 'crahs'.

Sean Zicari

Back in the Moutains on the Canadian border surounded by Deer, Quail, little Bunnies, clean water, air with real oxygen, the toe-headed offspring of the pioneers who settled up here, the neighbor's Milk Cows and Jillions of tiny Chipmunks. Whoo Hoo

Red face KOZMO

No, you were right. If you're from Maine, New Hampshire
    Vermont or Massachusetts "crahs" IS the right spelling.

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    Originally posted by kozmo22
    Greetings!

I think I may have found a solution to the problem.

I had the same problem when rendering out a project, and it turns out that VT[3] would crahs because I was trying to render to the same drive that an embedded subproject file was on. I noticed this was the problem because it would always crash at the same point, which was during the rendering of the subproject within the main project. So, I moved the subproject file off of the drive and it rendered without crashing.

I hope this helps, and I also hope it makes sense.

Sean Zicari
    Good get......

Send it in to the bug fixers.
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    This has been passed along to Testing. Thanks!
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast