Thread: Aspect Ratio Strangeness...

Sr Programmer Analyst

Aspect Ratio Strangeness...

Studio Monitor and vMix both see my Connect Spark source as 4:3, but my source is 16:9, and the Connect's Admin Page displays it properly as 16:9. What have i done?

Thank you!

Chad

Sr Programmer Analyst

I've got a old Canon VIXIA HF R200 camcorder and it does the same thing. Not sure why, but when I connect the camera, the options to choose the HDMI output resolution aren't available in the camera. You can see that the camera is sending a SD resolution image in the title bar of NDI Studio Monitor. Everything else I connect to the Spark works correctly, it appears it is something with this model camera.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Sr Programmer Analyst
    Thanks, Kanep. I appreciate the info.

FWIW. We use the aspect ratio feed that is reported to us via HDMI (or SDI.) If this is a big problem for you then shoot me an email, we can probably make it so that there is some manual way to over-ride the aspect ratio.

Sr Programmer Analyst
    I just got off the phone with Canon Support, who insist that it won't output as HDMI unless there's a TV connected to it with HDMI channel selected. Sort of talked to me like I'm some kind of idiot for connecting it to something that's not an HD TV. No amount of explaining would convince him that it's not an idiotic thing to do. I SO prefer the support here.

I'll email separately. Thank you!

Chad
    Last edited by clafarge; 10-31-2017 at 10:44 AM.

"No ammount of explaining would convince him that it's not an idiotic thing to do. I SO prefer the support here."

And here I was feeling guilty that I'd not spotted this forum posting in some time.

Sr Programmer Analyst
    I want to begin by stating that level of support offered not only by engineers here in the forum but also by the company's leader, Andrew Cross, is in such stark contrast to that offered by Canon telephone support that it made me want to never buy another Canon product, and to become a fierce advocate of NewTek.

I got off the phone with Canon feeling as I was an idiot who had no business connecting my Canon camcorder to any device beyond a TV. I click away from this forum and I feel like real progress has been made, and that the company has gone out of their way to ensure that I know what I need to know, and that I'm valued as a customer.

As for the information that's been shared: NewTek (Andrew), obtained a camera of the same model and has discovered that the camera supports only one progressive mode (vs interlaced): 480p. When the Spark presents itself with support for a wide range of progressive formats, the Canon dumbs it down to the one truly Progressive option it offers. Most other cameras would also offer a software option to set the output resolution manually, but this sad example does not, preferring to assume that it knows better what its user needs.

In my experimentation, I've found that I can connect the Canon to an HDMI splitter, with output A routed to the Connect Spark and output B routed to a 1080p monitor and I'm able to get full resolution. The handshake with output B provides the interlaced format that will "get the job done".

Andrew points out that SDI does not have to suffer the same negotiation as HDMI formats, so I also have the option to use a converter to change the signal.

Thank you SO MUCH for all the time spent researching this issue. Kyle, you may benefit from the same information with your R200.

Have a most delightful and productive day!

Chad