Thread: Adding a browser source as an overlay

Adding a browser source as an overlay

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible for a Tricaster (particularly the TC1) to add web-based content as a input source. Essentially capturing a URL (which you set the size of the window of when capturing) which can have a transparent background, and anything that appears in that page shows up, essentially as an overlay.

I know that a browser window can be captured as an NDI source by using NDI tools. However, this only captures the entire browser page. What we are looking to do is capturing just the web-based content within it.

For example, in OBS you can add a "Browser source" which is exactly as I describe above. You input a URL to capture and then set the size of the window. Then anything that appears in that page will show up on the video automatically. This is how individual twitch live streamers are able to have automatically personalized follower, donation, and subscriber alerts appear on their stream without any work. The webpage pulls data from twitch and then displays it in a nice animation.

This has a lot of extremely useful applications in professional settings as well, such as grabbing live stats and displaying them on screen automatically without the need to manually input anything at all.

We are looking into purchasing a TC1 for our future live productions, however this is somewhat of a crucial need, so would like to make sure it is capable of it. If anyone knows, any insight would be extremely appreciated! Thanks!

There is an NDI plug-in for OBS, if it will capture the web page as you want, then you have OBS send it out as NDI into TC1.

https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

You can also use NDI Scan Converter to bring it in to the tricaster, then crop out the browser controls.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Hi Kane, thanks so much for the reply!

I definitely would like to try that! I have been checking out the OBS NDI plugin. However, my concern is that the OBS NDI output does not contain the transparency, and will just be a black box.

I don't have a TC1 so unfortunately I can't test on that. However, when I do NDI output with OBS, and then input that NDI signal into another instance of OBS, the transparency is not there, and it just shows up as a black box.

Do you have experience with outputting NDI from OBS and using that as an input on TC1? I'd like to know if the transparency is actually there or not.

Thanks!

The output of OBS doesn't contain an alpha channel, so there would be no transparency in the NDI signal.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

When I do a weekly video game tourney, one of the guys sends me an overlay that need to be updated during game play, what I had him do was put the necessary elements over a green background, I bring that in and key out the green, works like a champ. I don't know if something like that would help you, but...
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Yes, you can always go that route and just key the background color, just need to avoid using that color anywhere else in the image.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

One of the secrets to make this work better is to disable anti-aliasing in the source program if possible. Then you can use the smoothing control in the TC keyer to anti-alias AFTER the keying.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4k.

Nice Jeff!
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Jeff, Where is the smoothing control found in the TC or VMC (DSK) Keyer? Or are you referring to another keyer? I'm seeing a lot of aliasing issues with alpha/gfx and LiveGraphics out of AfterEffects and would love to see it smoothed out. Thanks, Mitch

I was speaking of the smoothing control on the LiveMatte panel for a chromakey. If you already are coming in with alpha this wouldn't apply.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4k.