Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you Have MODO 10 or later and want to get MODO's VDB into LW?

Do you Have MODO 10 or later and want to get MODO's VDB into LW?

Hi all, I'm experimenting with MODO's particles. Ok I can get Houdini Indie, not going to happen this year. I want to do more with the tools I have instead of thinning myself out over too many apps.

I'm playing with Macro's and have had some success, maybe together with other people we could find a workaround, maybe until LW Next drops.

Ok, the deal is MODO can voxelise it's particle system output instead of using blobs, sprites and volumes, however they can only be rendered inside MODO native or Octane if you have that.

Although you can freeze a mesh into real geo, there is no automated way to get an .obj sequence of these meshes to load into LW, yet!!

I'm playing with macros, only started last night, but here goes.

I created a particle system and hooked in a VDBVoxel node.

Recorded macro of duplication of voxel node. Ran replay repeat and set the number of nodes required for number of frames output.

Recorded a second macro of move next frame by 1 and 'freeze to mesh' command. I have to limit this macro to this, due to the issue described below.

This is the sticky point. I can't seem to get a macro that would move down one voxel in the item list order of duplicates to use a replay repeat that would include the move 'next frame by 1' and 'freeze to mesh command'.

The workaround is crude at the moment as I'm no script dude. I have hotkeyed the replay macro command and because I'm an old school ZX81, Spectrum keyboard basher can use down arrow key and hotkey and fly down the list to generate an actual .obj progression of the particle simulation.

This .obj sequence could be later loaded into LW and then rendered with Octane.

Anybody want to add in on this? I've got quite far, that final hurdle only and I'm sure the .obj sequence numbering as well so it's readable in LW.

This is just some fun or maybe headache, any input could be shared openly for all on here!!
    I'm always 100% right!!!

I've tried plenty of macro commands for the final bit but MODO seems to number the new voxel nodes in a non sequential manner if you look into command history. Other workarounds I try, it's like the program is trying it's best to not let me automate it!!!

To record simple macros is a piece of cake. Works well for duplication, some reordering of numbering of the voxel node list in tree is needed, very random node sometimes drops to bottom of list, not multiples of 1, 11 or 2, 22 getting out of order, rather random!!

The move next frame by 1 and freeze to mesh macro works a treat, no problem. It's working because each duplicated node is automatically wired into the particle system as source. Your literally going down the list of nodes, moving a frame, freezing current mesh and it gets dropped and unconnected from particle system and is now geometry.

The workaround is crude manually to down arrow and repeat macro as above, BUT, you'd be surprised how quickly you can fly down a list and keep hotkeying.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-18-2017 at 04:12 AM.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

#LXMacro#
    schematic.toFront VDBVoxel027 group024
    select.node schmNode028 set schmNode028
    item.duplicate true locator false true
    select.node schmNode028 remove schmNode028
    schematic.toFront VDBVoxel018 group024
    item.setType mesh locator

These are some macro commands, not my working macro script but a copy of interal commands. The type of labelling MODO uses and you can see the voxel numbers and group numbers. They all generate on duplication rather randomly, each node number or group could increment ever three numbers, so group 24,27,30, it seems random.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-18-2017 at 04:21 AM.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Oh and a bonus trick for you.

You can wire your VDBvoxel into a surface particle generator to capture the form in points also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MODO.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	138332
    I'm always 100% right!!!

If I find a fully automated workflow, I may share with you, I might not though................
    I'm always 100% right!!!

creacon
    Can you explain exactly what you're trying to achieve? Emit particles and mesh them?

creacon

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Feri View Post
    If I find a fully automated workflow, I may share with you, I might not though................

Quote Originally Posted by creacon View Post
    Can you explain exactly what you're trying to achieve? Emit particles and mesh them?

creacon
    Read the first post again, MODO voxelises particles, outputs VDB's. People on here have LW and MODO, quite a few. But they also buy Houdini Indie and all these plugins when they might be able to find a workaround using the MODO/LW tools they already have.

It was just sharing information, tests and nothing more, I'm not trying to achieve anything other than to save people a few £'s. Nothing else.

However should I as a hobbyist give away all my hours of testing to let some other mugs BS me and do this for the love of it. No no more...............
    I'm always 100% right!!!

creacon
    I don't exactly see what your answer has to do with my question?
    I am asking because I have my own plugin that simulates in LW, and uses OpenVdb for meshing.
    The solutions that Steve Hurley is working on and Darkchief probably use the exact same pipeline.
    Or in other words, you can already use OpenVDB in LW.

creacon

Read the first post again, MODO voxelises particles, outputs VDB's. People on here have LW and MODO, quite a few. But they also buy Houdini Indie and all these plugins when they might be able to find a workaround using the MODO/LW tools they already have.

It was just sharing information, tests and nothing more, I'm not trying to achieve anything other than to save people a few £'s. Nothing else.

However should I as a hobbyist give away all my hours of testing to let some other mugs BS me and do this for the love of it. No no more...............

I answered your question!! I said I'm not trying to achieve nothing, just hints and tips.

As you said, 'I have my own plugin that simulates in LW'. What plugin? Did it cost you extra money? Did you create this plugin?

What about the creation of the VDB simulation, the very particle simulation itself, that is what I'm talking about. MODO's particle system is reasonable, not amazing, the VDB voxels can be output from MODO but not by an official route or plugin.

I'm talking vanilla LW, no plugins needed, just trying to save people extra money so they DON'T have to buy Hurleys or Darkchiefs plugins if they already own MODO.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-19-2017 at 05:37 AM.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

creacon
    Good luck.

creacon

Quote Originally Posted by creacon View Post
    Good luck.

creacon
    Ha, LOL. I answered everything you asked.

You didn't even answer my question?

'As you said, 'I have my own plugin that simulates in LW'. What plugin? Did it cost you extra money? Did you create this plugin?'

Forums, by christ.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

I would like a pfx exporter for modo because the particle tools are a lot better in modo and i would like to use them with the volumetrics in lw next. I mean you know, if that is ever going to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I would like a pfx exporter for modo because the particle tools are a lot better in modo and i would like to use them with the volumetrics in lw next. I mean you know, if that is ever going to be released.
    Can’t modo export openvdb files?

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I think it's just .csv ins't it that can be exported for the particle data only? I think the particle tools are ok in MODO and yes also look forward to LW Next and volumetrics etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Can’t modo export openvdb files?
    Nope. Why else would I need to write a macro script if I could just export the openvdb file.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-19-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

I think it's just .csv ins't it that can be exported for the particle data only? I think the particle tools are ok in MODO and yes also look forward to LW Next and volumetrics etc.
    Well I can run the particles in dynamic simulations, I can use modifiers on them, sculpt their paths with sculpting brushes, constrain them to curves, use them as instance sources in dynamics....I'd say they're more than just 'ok'. But I've tried different formats but not been able to get particle motion from Modo back into LightWave. I'm just getting into scripting so maybe I'll come up with something eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast