Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blender Basics

Blender Basics

While you are waiting for LightWave Next and tiring of the old arguments. How about spending the time productively learning Blender?

An ongoing project to teach Blender. It is going to take a while as I want to give each area its full attention. Starting with the very basics:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2_HAf5_un_FpyM

And also a quick guide. Very quick. But I suggest doing the basics videos to really get everything.

Also taking requests for subjects you are interested in learning with Blender, stupid things I left out, and so on.

But for those seeking perfection. Sorry. Can't help you. I am not getting paid for these. They are mostly impromptu, rough, full of stammering and so on. Intended to allow me to move quickly through a lot of information. And mainly intended as a tool to teach my staff.

With that in mind, any other feedback is welcome.

Next, mainly because I am training a new animator, I will likely jump to the basic animation features in Blender. There is a new rig which is pretty cool.

Will come back to post when I have it.

I have already started to learn Blender and I enjoy every second of it. I have not done any real project in it yet but so far I have not found anything that I can't do compared to LightWave. I've only discovered nice features and workflows. Thanks for sharing the video, though I already covered those basic things myself.

One thing I like with Lw is the ability to cycle through objects in layout with the up and down arrows, any similar way to do that in Blender?

Wow! Straight forward and directly to the point! I love it!

Very nice work. I'm going to have to check these out.

The only subject I can think of is I'm trying to learn how to use Blender's hair tools to create hair and important them into Lightwave for use with either Bullet or ClothFx to animate. I've seen a bunch of videos and learned a lot already, but there's still many things about the subject I don't understand. It's totally worth the effort for Blender's hair creation tools are far superior to those in Lightwave.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Wow! Straight forward and directly to the point! I love it!

Very nice work. I'm going to have to check these out.

The only subject I can think of is I'm trying to learn how to use Blender's hair tools to create hair and important them into Lightwave for use with either Bullet or ClothFx to animate. I've seen a bunch of videos and learned a lot already, but there's still many things about the subject I don't understand. It's totally worth the effort for Blender's hair creation tools are far superior to those in Lightwave.

Thanks!
    When you done your hair in Blender and is in object mode, go to modifiers and click convert. Now you have a hair mesh, save as obj and import to LW modeler and use the strand maker. I got alot of crashes when tested this, so I feel its maybe better to just stay in Blender instead of going to LW. Hair in Lw still kind of sucks in so many ways...

It is an advanced subject I will not likely cover right away. Like Ztreem I probably agree. Do it in Blender. And rather in my opinion explore compositing options instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I have already started to learn Blender and I enjoy every second of it. I have not done any real project in it yet but so far I have not found anything that I can't do compared to LightWave. I've only discovered nice features and workflows. Thanks for sharing the video, though I already covered those basic things myself.

One thing I like with Lw is the ability to cycle through objects in layout with the up and down arrows, any similar way to do that in Blender?
    Good question. I don't think so. But you inspired me to do a series on selection alone. Also worth exploring to find out if there is an add-on or script.

Really? In the Lightwave section?

Yeah, it's a bit odd. Do you think you could post this in the Blender Artists forum, or just link us straight to your YouTube channel. Good content, but I'm not sure this is the place for it.

Funny you should say that as it’s exactly what I’ve started to do (while I’m waiting, obviously ). Just getting used to the interface at this stage, but really like it so far. Esp like how the modifier stack works for animation and modelling, finding the UI is very good for a fast workflow, too.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Really? In the Lightwave section?
    Looking through threads YOU have started in the very same section I have to wonder why you get your panties in a bunch over this one. Blender for Artists.....Modo....just to point out a couple.
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 10-17-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    Funny you should say that as it’s exactly what I’ve started to do (while I’m waiting, obviously ). Just getting used to the interface at this stage, but really like it so far. Esp like how the modifier stack works for animation and modelling, finding the UI is very good for a fast workflow, too.
    If there is anything you want me to shed light on, please let me know. As a LightWave user who has been with Blender a number of years I might be able to give a unique perspective.

FYI -There is already a thread on Blender Artists. This one is for LightWave artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    If there is anything you want me to shed light on, please let me know. As a LightWave user who has been with Blender a number of years I might be able to give a unique perspective.

FYI -There is already a thread on Blender Artists. This one is for LightWave artists.
    Thank you! Very much at the tinkering stage at the moment, won't be replacing LW anytime soon. Perhaps some exchange between Blender and LW pointers would be useful?

OK. Happy to oblige. Have some other priorities but I will get to it. Anything in particular?

Great! Not right now, happy to be guided - any finds/processes that help getting models from one to the other from a LW user point of view would be useful. I'm guessing Oliver's OD copy/paste would be the simplest! Smoke/fuilds..? No rush, much appreciated.

I don't come on the LW forum much but it does seem like you take regular craps on LW then say something like "but it has some good features"... then you always promote Blender and "recognize it is not perfect but..." Why hang around the LW forum so much? Seems like you would have a better time with Blenderers learning with other Blenderers then trying to convert LWers to use Blender.
    Break up epic desk sitting sessions with 5-15 min breaks and get your recommended daily dose of fiber.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ProfHotard
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TreetopMedia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast