Thread: Field lines on 108060i vs. bad quality on 108030p? Stumped!

Field lines on 108060i vs. bad quality on 108030p? Stumped!

Hi there. We typically run our TriCaster Mini HDMI sessions at 1080i60 broadcast with the Livestream plugin. This looks fine on shots of people, but when showing a connected computer screen (very common for our use cases) the harder lines of a PowerPoint or web browser or whatever make the interlaced field line flicker much more visible and maddening. Switching a session to 1080p eliminates the flicker and the video appears rock-solid, but, for whatever reason, it makes smaller text/detail on connected screens appear almost garbled and usually unreadable.

Is this a common issue? Does anyone know of a way to either a)make live, interlaced video not flicker and shake as it does or b) make the progressive video clearer from a connected screen?

Happy to provide any other details if they're relevant/I'm missing something. Thanks!

There is no easy way around interlace issues, it is the nature of the format that you are seeing (flicker, lines).

Are your camera running into the TriCaster operating in 1080p30 mode are still outputing in 1080i mode? If so, that it what you are running into, if you feed interlaced sources into a progressive session, something has to be done to make interlace into progressive. Unfortunately, in almost all cases you end up with 'worse aspects of both', in this case it is half the resolution of the 1080i image (a single field) so get you a progressive image in 1080p. If your cameras have a progressive output mode that is the solution. You can also try setting the inputs to 'HDMI Computer Display' in the TriCaster to see if it helps.

If none of that helps, you might be better off going with 720p video modes, if your camera support it, all 720 video modes are progressive.

Here is another article that might help.
    http://tips.newtek.com/how-to-use-ne...ssive-cameras/
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    There is no easy way around interlace issues, it is the nature of the format that you are seeing (flicker, lines).

Are your camera running into the TriCaster operating in 1080p30 mode are still outputing in 1080i mode? If so, that it what you are running into, if you feed interlaced sources into a progressive session, something has to be done to make interlace into progressive. Unfortunately, in almost all cases you end up with 'worse aspects of both', in this case it is half the resolution of the 1080i image (a single field) so get you a progressive image in 1080p. If your cameras have a progressive output mode that is the solution. You can also try setting the inputs to 'HDMI Computer Display' in the TriCaster to see if it helps.
    I'm having a similar issue hopefully you can help with. We are running BM Studio cameras into our 460, but our Tricaster is set to 1080i. How can we change it to 1080p? Also, our playback (DDR) clips are shot in 1080p and when we play them back they lack and/or have lines. Again I think this is because the TC is set to 1080i.

How can I change the setting? Any idea on how to fix this issue?

Thanks

Try creating a NEW SESSION at 1080p30 and see how that looks. Unfortunately, 1080p60 is not supported on the 460 (TC1 offers it).

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1