Thread: Tricaster Mini Audio Problems

Tricaster Mini Audio Problems

Our Tricaster Mini that we've had for about 2 years has suddenly stopped inputing audio. We're we going from our sound board aux out straight to the Mini's Left and Right audio inputs. Up until a few days ago it was working fine. It starting cutting in and out and now it doesn't work at all. We have tried unplugging and plugging them back in, using both balanced and unbalanced cables, and even going from RCA out from our board to 1/4 inch input to the Mini. Nothing at all. We can't get audio from if we plug our source into the mic input on the Mini but we get a loud buzz/hum because it's a mic input and not line, and we're not able to choose line input. Any help we can get would be great. Thanks.

Just to make sure, you have Input 1 set to the 'Line' audio source in the Hardware Configuration panel? Input 2 is where you select the 'Mic' input.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Just to make sure, you have Input 1 set to the 'Line' audio source in the Hardware Configuration panel? Input 2 is where you select the 'Mic' input.
    Correct. The only options I have in Input 1 is Line or HDMI, and the only option I have in Input 2 is Mic or HDMI

Ok, you mentioned above "it's a mic input and not line, and we're not able to choose line input" which isn't something you are able to do, I want to to make sure you where selecting (and using) the correct input.

Does this issue happen with a new session? What version of software is installed on your system?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	138234Click image for larger version. 

Views:	123 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	138235Click image for larger version. 

Views:	106 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	138236

We were going out from our board straight into the LR channels in the tricaster Audio 1. That was working until 3 days ago. Now, no audio is being picked up from the tricaster. However, when I plug the 1/4 cable into the mic input it works. But, I have to bump the gain up so much that I get a buzz/hum that carries over into the recording. I don’t know how to find out the version that we have.

You can find the version by going to the 'Help' icon on the home screen, then click on 'About TriCaster' on the right side. At the top of the window will list the version and build number. It will display something similar to "Rev 2-5-160502".
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I have the same problem my tricaster mini was updated to the latest firmware last week but I didn't check the line audio. I am setting up at my gig and the Line audio worked to start with but it did breakup which I thought might be the cable. I now have no sound on the Line input and I have test the cable right upto the Jack that plugs into the Tricaster. If I plug into the Mic it registers but it is low and very hissy. I should be about 40db to strong but it is registering about -20.
    I need to get this working today as the gig here in the UK starts in 12 hours at 8am.

Did you ever figure out what your issue was with the Line Input? I seem to be facing very similar issues right now. I have no sound on Input 1 (Line). Although, when I boot up into any session (even newly created ones), I can briefly hear the music coming into Input 1 as it should be but then it cuts out. I can hear it and see it in the VU meters coming through loud and clear. It cuts in and out over the course of about 5-10 seconds and then disappears altogether after the session fully initializes and boots. I'm on the latest build 5-1-181220C.
    Last edited by jeremybrandt; 01-14-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ
    http://www.VoorheesTV.com

TriCaster Mini - AE 3
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface
    Primary Cameras - JVC GY-HM750 - Birddog Eyes P200 PTZ

Quote Originally Posted by jeremybrandt View Post
    Did you ever figure out what your issue was with the Line Input? I seem to be facing very similar issues right now. I have no sound on Input 1 (Line). Although, when I boot up into any session (even newly created ones), I can briefly hear the music coming into Input 1 as it should be but then it cuts out. I can hear it and see it in the VU meters coming through loud and clear. It cuts in and out over the course of about 5-10 seconds and then disappears altogether after the session fully initializes and boots. I'm on the latest build 5-1-181220C.

Any updates on this issue? I'm hesitant to upgrade with these issues hanging out there...

Thanks!

John Alexander
    --
    John Alexander

TriCaster Mini (HDMI)
    Spark Connect
    Sony HXR-NX5R
    Sony NX-5U
    Canon XF105

After speaking with tech support today via chat, my unit will have to be shipped back for repairs again. I had also experienced an unexpected shutdown during a livestream a couple weeks ago. For those reasons I've opted to purchase ProTek support so that I can just have a new replacement unit shipped to me and I'll ship back our troubled unit.
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ
    http://www.VoorheesTV.com

TriCaster Mini - AE 3
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface
    Primary Cameras - JVC GY-HM750 - Birddog Eyes P200 PTZ

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyoutback View Post
    Any updates on this issue? I'm hesitant to upgrade with these issues hanging out there...

Thanks!

John Alexander
    I believe that the couple of audio issues reported are hardware-related. If it was the software causing it, there would be a LOT of complaints. Should be fine to update. I always do a manual download of software and apply appropriate version number to download folder. Therefore I always have multiple TriCaster software versions on hand and can easily revert to a previous build if a new build causes issues. Cheap insurance!

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1