Thread: YouTube ultra low latency streaming

YouTube ultra low latency streaming

If you've ever used the TriCaster YouTube streaming function you've probably noticed the 30+ second latency. In order to better compete with Twitch, YouTube now offers "Ultra low latency." It can be under 2 seconds!

Alas, not with the TriCaster plugin.

Here's the workaround.

Create a new streaming session: New Connection, Custom. You'll get the server address and stream ID from https://www.youtube.com/live_dashboard on the Stream Options tab. Sign in with your YouTube (gmail) credentials.

I have loads of bandwidth and was wondering if it's possible to stream 1280x720 at higher than 2048k?

Quote Originally Posted by geofffox View Post
    If you've ever used the TriCaster YouTube streaming function you've probably noticed the 30+ second latency. In order to better compete with Twitch, YouTube now offers "Ultra low latency." It can be under 2 seconds!

Alas, not with the TriCaster plugin.

Here's the workaround.

Create a new streaming session: New Connection, Custom. You'll get the server address and stream ID from https://www.youtube.com/live_dashboard on the Stream Options tab. Sign in with your YouTube (gmail) credentials.

I have loads of bandwidth and was wondering if it's possible to stream 1280x720 at higher than 2048k?
    With the Advanced Edition's new streaming engine you can do higher than 2048k. Build the profile you want in Adobe Flash Live Media Encoder (its already on your TriCaster system), then import this profile using the 'Browse' option at the bottom of the Profile drop down.

I'm not sure what the maximum bit rate is, but there is a 1920x1080 at 6mbit/s, so I would think up to that would be okay. Make sure you fully test (and then test them again) any profiles you build before you put them into production.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Kane -

Though all the streaming parameters are set in AFLME you are still presented with a choice of rtmp streaming speeds. Shouldn't it get this from the imported file? Which is actually used?

Quote Originally Posted by geofffox View Post
    Kane -

Though all the streaming parameters are set in AFLME you are still presented with a choice of rtmp streaming speeds. Shouldn't it get this from the imported file? Which is actually used?
    Are you talking about streaming speed selections in YouTube? I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Using the YouTube API (the YouTube connection option) would use what choose set on YouTube, but if you choose Custom in the TriCaster, then the system streams what you tell it.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables