Thread: Spark Power Supply connector specs

Spark Power Supply connector specs

I'm considering purchasing a Connect Spark and trying it for wireless roaming sideline camera at sporting events. Can someone tell me what size power connector is on the unit? Is there any reason why something like this with a Sony L series battery couldn't work to power the unit as long as the connector size matched?

http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.ph...&model=ac107-s

Then we could use a Ubiquity access point to work with the wifi connection on the Connect Spark to bring in the NDI signal into our Tricaster.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work, or am I being too ambitious?

Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick Nokes

Gear used:
    Tricasters (TC1, 460, 455)
    Timewarp Controllers
    Cameras (Sony NX5U's, Panasonic PTZ's)
    Birddog NDI Converters
    Unity Intercom

Purdue Technologist vanderwielen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspclub View Post
    I'm considering purchasing a Connect Spark and trying it for wireless roaming sideline camera at sporting events. Can someone tell me what size power connector is on the unit? Is there any reason why something like this with a Sony L series battery couldn't work to power the unit as long as the connector size matched?

http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.ph...&model=ac107-s

Then we could use a Ubiquity access point to work with the wifi connection on the Connect Spark to bring in the NDI signal into our Tricaster.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work, or am I being too ambitious?

Thanks,
    Nick
    It's 2.1x5.5 DC connector. I've already built this up on a 15mm rail system with a V mount battery. You'll be fine in an empty venue, you'll take hits when 5000 people bring their cell phones and place them between you and the press box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rails.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	137915

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
    It's 2.1x5.5 DC connector. I've already built this up on a 15mm rail system with a V mount battery. You'll be fine in an empty venue, you'll take hits when 5000 people bring their cell phones and place them between you and the press box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rails.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	137915
    Rick, I thought you were retired from all this and just living the life somewhere on the beach? Good to see you still tinkering.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    Rick, I thought you were retired from all this and just living the life somewhere on the beach? Good to see you still tinkering.
    I am. But still take care of a few friends. Think I saw your guys in Maui last year during one of my beach jaunts.

Wow, that's a cool setup. I know what you mean about crowds and the interference they bring. Glad to see someone else had a similar idea and put it into action.
    Nick Nokes

Gear used:
    Tricasters (TC1, 460, 455)
    Timewarp Controllers
    Cameras (Sony NX5U's, Panasonic PTZ's)
    Birddog NDI Converters
    Unity Intercom

Did you make the cable yourself? Is it a 2.1x5.5 to D-tap? Where did you buy the connector? Did you use Velcro on the bottom of the Connect Spark to hold it in place? I’ve been looking at building the same type of rig.

Thanks!

I just found the type of cable that will work with D-tap batteries. B&H carries the cable that is used for the Zylight. I just happen to have one and I had forgotten it uses the same D-tap to 5.5x2.1mm with locking collar connector. You can buy one here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ery_Cable.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alan McInnes View Post
    I just found the type of cable that will work with D-tap batteries. B&H carries the cable that is used for the Zylight. I just happen to have one and I had forgotten it uses the same D-tap to 5.5x2.1mm with locking collar connector. You can buy one here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ery_Cable.html
    Be careful. D tap can be 16.8v. use a regulator on rails like i did and get 12v

Quote Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
    Be careful. D tap can be 16.8v. use a regulator on rails like i did and get 12v
    Can you link to the regulator you used?
    Gabe Thomas