Thread: Live Stream Auido louder than recoded

Live Stream Auido louder than recoded

Recently we did a live stream using the facebook and youtube plugins and the audio streamed way higher than the audio that was recorded. Additionally it was hotter than what our audio stream meters wee reading as well. Our recorded audio averaged -28dbFS. The streamed audio from facebook and youtube averaged -11dbFS. We checked the audio mixer stream settings and they were set to 0dbVU, as was the master setting. We are only experiencing this issue on the 8000 as of right now. We are able to stream on the 410 without this issue. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Millo View Post
    Recently we did a live stream using the facebook and youtube plugins and the audio streamed way higher than the audio that was recorded. Additionally it was hotter than what our audio stream meters wee reading as well. Our recorded audio averaged -28dbFS. The streamed audio from facebook and youtube averaged -11dbFS. We checked the audio mixer stream settings and they were set to 0dbVU, as was the master setting. We are only experiencing this issue on the 8000 as of right now. We are able to stream on the 410 without this issue. Any suggestions?
    There is no difference between 8000 and 410 in how streaming is handled. I'm not sure what version of TC you are using, but there is a streaming audio level in the audio mixer and in the output settings. In general it is expected (and desirable) that you'd stream louder than record - recording has 20dB of headroom (i.e. reference level is -20dBFS) and while you can stream at that level for most users this is going to sound very quiet indeed.

A

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    There is no difference between 8000 and 410 in how streaming is handled. I'm not sure what version of TC you are using, but there is a streaming audio level in the audio mixer and in the output settings. In general it is expected (and desirable) that you'd stream louder than record - recording has 20dB of headroom (i.e. reference level is -20dBFS) and while you can stream at that level for most users this is going to sound very quiet indeed.

A
    Thank you for this information. I am going to breakdown our response for clarity.

1) We did some testing yesterday and found that the Stream fader in the Audio Mixer moves in parallel with the Output Level knob in the Output settings. During our session, the stream fader was set at 0dbVU (-20dbFS). This would make the stream volume the same as the recorded volume.

2) Additionally, the Stream audio meter and the Record audio meter at the top of the screen were moving in parallel, which to us indicates that we are recording and streaming at the same audio level.

3) We currently operate under EBU and ITU Program Loudness specifications of -23LUFS. We want to achieve the same loudness level for both the recorded content and the streamed content. We don't want to boost the stream level.

Taking all of this into account, it would seem that there is an audio level boost in the encoder that processes and sends the feed to the various streaming distribution points. Is this a possibility? We are using the default NewTek YouTube and Facebook plugins.

Thank you all for you help.

Just for clarity, are you running your systems under Standard Edition or Advanced Edition software? Thanks!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just for clarity, are you running your systems under Standard Edition or Advanced Edition software? Thanks!
    We are running advanced edition

Thanks.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I don't know if what I'm about to mention will clear it up for you or not, but I've spent some time testing this in different versions of our products. Broadly speaking, in recent years they behave about the same way, but there can be some little differences in the way the details are presented.

• Sticking to AE for the *moment, since that's what you're running, note that the default volume knob setting for Recording (Quicktimes) is -20dBFS.

This approximates the headroom typically applied to digital recording (as you doubtless know, there's some small variation on this depending on locale). (BTW, TriCaster's DDR automatically compensates for the recording offset on playback when the file was a) captured on a TriCaster, and b) has never left an NTFS storage environment.)

• Streaming, however, defaults to 0.

You would reasonably expect that if you set both controls (Record and Stream) to the same level, the recorded levels in both the archived streaming file and the Quicktime recording would be identical. There is one little variable here, though: In at least some recent versions, a 'hidden' -6dB offset is applied to the Streaming level. (I think this was really meant to be implemented as setting the default Streaming level to -6dB, similar to the way Record defaults to -20, but instead the offset was applied post-UI. We've just opened a bug case to remedy this.)

So, if the levels are at their defaults, I would expect you to see either a 14 dB or a 20 dB disparity between the two files. And if you set Record and Stream to the same level, you should either see no disparity or the Streaming file would be 6dB lower. This said, we strongly discourage removing the 20dB headroom during capture (to avoid clipping). And as Andrew mentioned, -20dB would be very low for streaming output.

* TC1 and VMC1 users may be running a version of 6-0 that does not default to -20dB FS for capture. This was unintentional, is probably responsible for some of the 'clipping' messages reported, and will be rectified in an upcoming release.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Consultant
    I think we ran into this last week. Feedback on the actual level set in the output window would be helpful as well (sliding bar with no units could be improved).
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.