0 0%
  • 78 - 81

0 0%
  • 82 and Over

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How old are LW'ers?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yes, i'm thinking more in the cases of when i meet a "Mission Impossible" challenge 
    back in the days, if you were stuck, tried to make it work, but couldn't no matter what, you were pretty much totally stuck.

IKBooster for example. none would've learned anything if it weren't for Larry/Colin/Ryan
    I definitely hear you on that one. I am fearless at work in telling my boss yes to anything he asks for in After Effects because I'm always fairly confident that I can get close because of the wealth of knowledge floating around on the web. But it does mean that if I need to edit any projects 3 months down the road, I have to re-learn all the expressions I learned for that one project.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Quote Originally Posted by meatycheesyboy View Post
    I actually feel the opposite way. I feel like when I try to learn something nowadays, I watch some videos, tell myself I understand, but don't actually understand anything. In ye olde days when I had no one telling me which buttons to press, the knowledge was more "earned" and thus stuck better. I'm sure there's a happy medium that is the sweet spot.
    You need better videos.

Ton Roosendal (?) or was it someone else complained once about this. I think it related to Andrew Price tutorials. The filmic tutorial is one, and recently the uv unwrapping (he didn't use one of the blender provided tools). It's when even the popular ones are riddled with "issues".

My day job is DBA. And oh yeah, once in a while you will me something new (to you). And you google for solution. And because a lot of people also write their own "tutorial" after following other people "tutorial" just because it solve the issue for them, you will find all kind of 'fact' and 'solutions'. Out of 20 web pages, maybe 1 can actually teach, solve, and explain the issue correctly.

The same with books, online videos, and yes - even lecturers! Did you ever go to a class, listen to the prof, and went WTF? and dropped it early or apply to other prof classes if available.

Heck, even tutorials from legendary people. In this case, they know what they are doing, it just that they doesn't know how to teach and convey it. Just read the complaints.

My 2 cents.

That graph tells me Newtek needs new younger people to be interested to try out lightwave.
    Userbase is old and more than half are in their 40's and up. That's not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    There will be college students using it, maybe they don't think of entering the forum? Or are doing cooler stuff with their time
    The only college students using Lightwave are hipsters doing so ironically... and they're also saving their scene onto floppy drives too.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    That graph tells me Newtek needs new younger people to be interested to try out lightwave.
    Userbase is old and more than half are in their 40's and up. That's not a good sign.
    This is true. It was obvious before but this sampling even if adjusted for forums and not social media still skews high. This "let them release it when it's ready" spiel is just garbage. Everyone here will be dead by then and the universe may be close to its heat death.

Why is there no sense of urgency (or continuous delivery) for LW dev? I can't wait forever - the small 3DCoat team outpaces LWDG in revolutionary new features and cool UI by far!
    Last edited by sami; 09-07-2017 at 12:46 AM.

I'm gonna go ahead and take another stab at the new name:

Lightwave Get Off My Lawn™
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	329.5 KB 
ID:	137843

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    I'm one of those in the 40s. I learned LW on Amiga in college. College is where one has the guidance and the time to dive into the complexity of 3D. I cannot even afford the time to learn Blender now.

NewTek would be wise to focus on getting LW in front of college and high school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    So seeing the crotchety ranting and dinosaur fear of the future in some of the posts, methinks the median age of LW'ers is probably around 57. But let's run a poll as see for sure.
    Good idea. Regarding fear of the future, this is not necessarily age-related. I know some guys even older than me (and that's DANG old!) who have NO FEAR of ANYTHING AT ALL. :+)

Quote Originally Posted by DrStrik9 View Post
    Good idea. Regarding fear of the future, this is not necessarily age-related. I know some guys even older than me (and that's DANG old!) who have NO FEAR of ANYTHING AT ALL. :+)
    Fear. I think I heard about that concept in a movie once. Might have been a book (for you youngsters, a "book" is like the internet, but made from a tree.)
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

41...learned LW on the amigas in college. Video Toasters...then once v4 came to pc..on a P90...i maxed out my ccards to get it for home...along with dancing monkey (the orginal name of after effects before adobe) As well as the dc30 and 4gig s3 drive for video stuff...been upgrading for a long time...so glad i didn't buy a sgi. (well really could never afford one)
    Last edited by GraphXs; 09-07-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GraphXs View Post
    41...learned LW on the amigas in college. Video Toasters...then once v4 came to pc..on a P90...i maxed out my ccards to get it for home...along with dancing monkey (the orginal name of after effects before adobe) As well as the dc30 and 4gig s3 drive for video stuff...been upgrading for a long time...so glad i didn't buy a sgi. (well really could never afford one)
    I almost bought an SGI indigo, saved the ad and looked at it for weeks. A few years later at when I landed at Sega, one was being used as a doorstop to my office...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234