Thread: Tricaster NDI PTZ Camera Control

Tricaster NDI PTZ Camera Control

I haven't been able to find any real world reviews on the new camera yet. Anyone know how the control functions work? I'm using a Tricaster Mini SDI. The new CP doesn't have the joystick controls like the earlier panel for the 300 Tricaster but I'm guessing there is an app that can control the camera over a network connection? What I've seen looks great but unclear on the control interface.

The camera just started shipping end of last week. http://blog.newtek.com/blog/2017/08/...d-cameras-fly/

On the latest TriCaster AE software, there is a NDI PTZ control type. When you connect the camera via IP into a TriCaster input, you will automatically have control over the camera as well. In the TC software interface is on screen controls for the moving the camera and recalling presets, if your control surfaces has a 3D joystick it can be used as well.

Also, the NDI Studio Monitor application (free with NDI Tools) has PTZ control support as well. When you connect to the camera, on screen controls are available to adjust the camera and work with presets. If you have a Windows joystick connected to the system, NDI Studio Monitor can use it for manually camera control.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane! Sounds like a solid addition that doesn't tie up an SDI input. Generally work on shows with camera operators but I like the idea of having an extra shot that I can control myself to mix in to the program. Early info sounds great.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    The camera just started shipping end of last week. http://blog.newtek.com/blog/2017/08/...d-cameras-fly/

On the latest TriCaster AE software, there is a NDI PTZ control type. When you connect the camera via IP into a TriCaster input, you will automatically have control over the camera as well. In the TC software interface is on screen controls for the moving the camera and recalling presets, if your control surfaces has a 3D joystick it can be used as well.

Also, the NDI Studio Monitor application (free with NDI Tools) has PTZ control support as well. When you connect to the camera, on screen controls are available to adjust the camera and work with presets. If you have a Windows joystick connected to the system, NDI Studio Monitor can use it for manually camera control.
    Hi Kane,

Is it possible to connect a windows joystick to the mini for ptz control of the NDI PTZ1 ? Thanks

You cannot connect a Windows joystick to a TriCaster and control a PTZ camera unfortunately. What you can do is run the free NDI STUDIO MONITOR software on another PC/laptop, and that will show the LIVE video source coming from the PTZ camera via NDI. Camera controls are overlaid on the screen and can be controlled using the mouse (movements and presets). Optionally, if you connect a standard USB gaming joystick to that PC, that joystick can then be used to control the camera.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

So does anyone have a video or detailed review up yet? Most PTZ cameras I have used don't ease in to movements - they just haul off at their first speed for a movement or a zoom, making them really ugly for live camera moves. I'm curious to see how smooth the motion of the Newtek camera is, especially when controlled from the CS.

-- Found plenty of them over in the camera forum. Movement between presets has the same jerky movement that all PTZ cameras exhibit. Haven't seen much in the way of live pushes and pulls or linking shots etc.
    Last edited by Lee-AVP; 12-06-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Not to hijack this thread, but curious to know if the solution Kane puts forth above would work with an NDI-HX camera connected directly to a router and a Talkshow (with NDI Tools and a Teamviewer license on the Talkshow). Would I be able to log in via Teamviewer and effectively control the PTZ camera remotely?

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    So does anyone have a video or detailed review up yet? Most PTZ cameras I have used don't ease in to movements - they just haul off at their first speed for a movement or a zoom, making them really ugly for live camera moves. I'm curious to see how smooth the motion of the Newtek camera is, especially when controlled from the CS.

-- Found plenty of them over in the camera forum. Movement between presets has the same jerky movement that all PTZ cameras exhibit. Haven't seen much in the way of live pushes and pulls or linking shots etc.
    Lee, Give me a ring and I will show you what a smooth PTZ looks like. They exist. Just not at the 3-4k price point.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    Lee, Give me a ring and I will show you what a smooth PTZ looks like. They exist. Just not at the 3-4k price point.
    Yeah I've seen your tennis setups. I know where we'd have to go and, at that price point, it doesn't make sense for us. Camera operators for the next decade would still be cheaper.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    Yeah I've seen your tennis setups. I know where we'd have to go and, at that price point, it doesn't make sense for us. Camera operators for the next decade would still be cheaper.
    You would be really surprised. The AJA RovoCam / MRMC Whisper head is at the same price point as the HD only Panny He130. The capabilities though...
    Change the model, man. Change the model...
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI