Thread: .preview Files in Capture Folder

.preview Files in Capture Folder

What are these files used for? When is it safe to delete them? Can they be disabled so that they are never created in the first place?

I'm guessing these files are for scrubbing through recordings (possibly active recordings) while live. MediaInfo says they're 360p SpeedHQ videos with no audio.

We were caught by surprise when we ran out of recording space before we should have. We did the math before a show and should have had plenty of space but we didn't know about these preview files.

Yet another reason why there should be a free recording space indicator somewhere on the main screen.

Quote Originally Posted by eshiggs View Post
    What are these files used for? When is it safe to delete them? Can they be disabled so that they are never created in the first place?
    Not 100% certain, and you're probably right - but anyway I'm pretty sure they are actually used. If you delete them, I think they may eventually be regenerated. Since they doubtless exist for a purpose (the system wouldn't be creating them otherwise), I've also got little doubt that if they were disabled, you'd encounter undesirable results.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks Steve.

I'm sure they're do have a purpose, but I'm wondering if we're making use of that particular feature.

I'd love to know for sure!

Has anyone any new information about these? We just had the same problem as OP, running out of space when we shouldn't have. Are they only used by Tricaster, or do I need to save these files if I am copying the MOV's off the drives to archive?

Quote Originally Posted by eshiggs View Post

I'm guessing these files are for scrubbing through recordings (possibly active recordings) while live. MediaInfo says they're 360p SpeedHQ videos with no audio.

We were caught by surprise when we ran out of recording space before we should have. We did the math before a show and should have had plenty of space but we didn't know about these preview files.

Yet another reason why there should be a free recording space indicator somewhere on the main screen.
    We have been wondering the same thing. And couldn't agree more that a recording space indicator and low disk space warning is critical!

Did anyone ever get an answer for this? They are useless files that are clearly taking up both system resources to encode and store. We have been running V5 for about a month and couldn't work out why are storage was dropping a much faster rate. The Tricaster software doesn't seem to care when you import the clip and nor does it re-generate this file. I asked support about it and they didn't even know the files existed so they can't be that important.

Recording File Structure:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xG...EePcAfgpHJJy4p

Codec Information - Scaled down and no audio:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rK...dcTrCEAmy2f5r4

Has anyone found a resolution to this, yet? We have accumulated over a TERABYTE of these .mov.preview files on our system that we would like to delete, without suffering any deleterious effects. It has been over six months since this question was first posted. Is there anyone from NewTek who can chime in on this?