Thread: How to record 4 ore more separate microphone channels on a TriCaster Mini?

How to record 4 ore more separate microphone channels on a TriCaster Mini?

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and new to TriCaster. Just setting up an "Advanced Mini" SDI system for a small "news" kind of studio. I would like to record my 4 studio-mics as separated "streams", in case the live audio mixing has to be fixed in post. As the "Mini" has two analog audio INs (well, three with the mic IN, but I thought of not using this), I need at least two additional channels to feed my audio signals into the TriCaster.

I tried an external USB audio card, and although "class compliant" it did not work. Somewhere I read that later versions of Win may have drivers for this, but Win 7 doesn't.

I thought of embedding the 4 audio channels into the 4 SDI wires which come from the studio PTZ cameras (without audio), but couldn't find an out-of-the-box way to do this.

I could re-route the 4 pre-amplified mic signals from the operating room back to the studio and feed them directly into the Panasonic PTZ cams, but don't want that extra cabeling. And this wouldn't serve in case I need a fifth or sixth mic.

Most appealing seems the DANTE route (if money is not the main concern). A digital outboard mixer (like Yamaha 01v96) with DANTE expansion card should give me at least 8 separate audio feeds which I could route pre-fader from the outboard mixer into the "Mini". I then could live-mix these feeds within the TriCaster or mix a stereo master in the outboard mixer and record the results into the program stream. But how would I have to record the 4 (or more) untouched mic channels within the tricaster?

Another possibility would be the use of an outboard multichannel recorder to record the direct mic feeds. But then I would have to find a way to print the wordclock/blackburst of the "Mini" into the external recording files to sync in post.

Somehow I feel stuck! Any advice or new perspective on this will be mostly appreciated!

Thanks,
    RALF

First, when you say you want four streams are you saying you want four separate files or just each channel of audio recorded by itself?

I'm hoping you mean that second option. In the case you are going to have to use the audio routing to one of the AUX mixes and then record that mix.

First you need to get the audio in. Any of the methods you have mentioned should work. Just be aware that with SDI you can get up to four channels of audio in on a single SDI line. With Dante, you will have stereo audio per input. Another option is to use NDI which also support 4 channels of audio per input.

Once you have your audio coming in via whatever method works for you. You now need to create the mix you need.

For our example, lets use AUX3 for our four channels of audio. Let's also assume that you have two microphone channels of audio coming in on one input and the two more coming in on a second TriCaster input.

1. First go into all audio inputs, go to the routing tab and clear the audio so that no audio is routed into AUX3. Make sure you do this for internal sounds as well (like DDRs and Sounds).

2. Now go to you first audio input where you have assigned first two microphones and in the AUX3 routing, select check box that matches In1/Out1 and the box In2/Out2.

3. For next audio channels, go to the audio you have assigned the second two microphones and in the AUX3 routing, select the check box that matches In1/Out3 and the box In2/Out4.

4. Finally, in your output configuration window, make sure one of the four outputs has AUX3 assign as the audio (Lets assign you use MIX4 (or OUT4)).

5. In your record window, makes sure you have MIX4 selected as one of your record channels.

When you record, your MIX4 recording will have Quicktime file with four channels of audio, each channel will be one of the microphones.

If this is something you are going to do a lot, it might be worth making a macro of the above steps, so you can quickly setup your audio mixer. I hope the above makes sense.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

You could try using an "Audio Embedder" device that will "inject" analog audio sources into an SDI stream (from the PTZ camera). You could embed 4 analog audio sources per unit. Note that the audio signals would need to be line-level. Example - Blackmagic Design CONVMCAUDS Audio to SDI Mini Converter

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thanks Kane and Jeff for the help.

I know the 4-channel routing options but I wasn't aware that it is possible to record 4 channels within one output-stream. I will check this.

Somehow I must have overlooked the BMD Audio-SDI-Embedder. That should perfectly fit my needs.

Again, thank you!
    RALF

Hi RALF,

When you record a .mov clip in TriCaster, it will have 4 discreet audio channels, however when you play it back in the DDR for instance, you only ever hear channels 1-2 by default. If you go into the audio matrix you can send 3-4 over to output channels 1-2 to hear them on your headphones to prove they are really there. Discovered this when playing around learning the matrix routing.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

I tried this setup and it works but i have 4 different quicktime files, one with each mic. And then I have to sync all that crap up in post. If quicktime produces 4 audio channels then how can I assign all four to record to one file?
    I haven't installed the IsoCorder software yet, but will that have any benefit? I'm not interested in recording separate video cameras, just a mix with 4 audio mics/channels.

Kane answered the question in his first reply on 8-28, all done with setting up an AUX channel using Matrix Routing, then recording that custom 4-channel mix. Does require Advanced Edition software though. Which TriCaster model and software are you running?

If not using mic inputs and you want audio from 4 different cameras recorded to one file, also possible using variation of Kane instructions.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Im using Tricaster 460 model with Advanced Edition 2. I guess im doing something wrong. I will go through the steps again.