Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I saw this video and i was little worried

A parallel changeover which is probably closer to what they're attempting which isn't the same thing as a rewrite. CORE was a rewrite. This is not. This is taking systems like the renderer or geometry handler out, replacing them, and fixing all the dependencies that have been broken as a result. A rewrite would be creating a common framework from which all other systems in the app will be derived from. Right now it would seem they're running new systems right alongside old systems.

yes, it's a huge part-rewrite.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Right. Just not the foundation. And we are back where we started.

Lol well semantics at best. That can be argued forever.

I am not a software developer.

So I rely on people who actually are developers and specifically those that are developing LifhtWave to explain to me what is actually happening.

And no doubt it has been clearly stated and illustrated on many occasions that whatever you want to call CORE technically semantically etc. Was that it was an attempt to solve the many limitations LightWave had due to being saddled and held back by old code.

So a brand new base was started for a new app. Whatever you want to call that. I would call it writing a new app.

And it as clearly stated with no way to interpret otherwise that this process never stopped. That the method of accomplishing this is the only thing that changed.

An analogy of how and why given.

This process continued all the way through V. 10 to the present.

A re-write of LW would suffice as a way to express this semantically.

Bit whatever you want to call it. It is a huge undertaking at a core level. And this is what has been stated clearly.

The blog started as a way to pick up were they left off and further illuminate the importance of this next release as a major re-write of the underlying code base starting with the mesh engine and rendering engine.

And if you are following this at all and if you put it into perspective as the enormous project that it is overall it is clear to see this is a 15 year process at least.

And they are merely at a half way point here.

To the OP. For a guy to do a video about LightWave development and leave all of this out. Wow. Boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    To the OP. For a guy to do a video about LightWave development and leave all of this out. Wow. Boggles the mind.
    I'd just like to stir the pot some more . Bugzilla's Youtube video is dated 1st February, so he must have become aware of a certain backlash because he posted a subsequent video Why Do Artists Defend Bad Software? dated 19th February, which I believe is partly aimed at this forum. Sorry, but I had to.

If they don't release something really damn soon, it won't matter how much or how little of the LW Next code is new code.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I'd just like to stir the pot some more . Bugzilla's Youtube video is dated 1st February, so he must have become aware of a certain backlash because he posted a subsequent video Why Do Artists Defend Bad Software? dated 19th February, which I believe is partly aimed at this forum. Sorry, but I had to.

lol how is that?

The majority of people here are harsh on both LightWave and Blender... lol

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    If they don't release something really damn soon, it won't matter how much or how little of the LW Next code is new code.
    That is quite a vote of confidence when you think about it. Like the software world is hanging on everything that LW 3D Group is doing right now. I guess I don't share the same optimistic view of the software user base. My guess is that ship has already sailed. The majority of people have long since moved on. I'd say they ain't got nothing to loose at this point other than to continue doing what they should be doing. And that would be nose to the grind stone and develop.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 08-23-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Just read on FB that the vRoom developer have decided to stop development. To bad since that was one plugin I was considering buying but with this whole Next shenanigans and not knowing what plugins will work or continue development I have put any further investments on hold
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 08-24-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Thumbs down Poopity poop

Well, to put it bluntly, no matter how much some of yous going to sugarcoat it...Things are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    Just read on FB that the vRoom developer have decided to stop development. To bad since that was one plugin I was considering buying but with this whole Next shenanigans and not knowing what plugins will work or continue development I have put any further investments on hold

If its any consolation to you , Jasha has said that Turbulence Plug-in for LW NeXT is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    If its any consolation to you , Jasha has said that Turbulence Plug-in for LW NeXT is ready.
    9-10 years too late bad. Start a 15-20 year project - that needed to be started for technological reasons - 17 years ago it is a surprise that a user base has diminished due to these technical limitations and things appear to be bad?

And lets not forget the fact that they made a terrible mistake in 2009 and marketed this vaporware as something that could be delivered in 2-3 years.

So is it any surprise then, that with their estimates of time apparently still way off, they have decided to run silent run deep?

Again to the OP:

Question. What Klled LightWave?

Answer: You idiot! It was dead already! 17 years ago!

New Question: Oh so why did they not do anything about it then?

Answer: They did. Ever hear of Modo?

Editorial: Stop asking stupid questions.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 08-24-2017 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    9-10 years too late bad. Start a 15-20 year project - that needed to be started for technological reasons - 17 years ago it is a surprise that a user base has diminished due to these technical limitations and things appear to be bad?

And lets not forget the fact that they made a terrible mistake in 2009 and marketed this vaporware as something that could be delivered in 2-3 years.

So is it any surprise then, that with their estimates of time apparently still way off, they have decided to run silent run deep?

Again to the OP:

Question. What Klled LightWave?

Answer: You idiot! It was dead already! 17 years ago!

New Question: Oh so why did they not do anything about it then?

Answer: They did. Ever hear of Modo?

Editorial: Stop asking stupid questions.
    I do not concur.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Is the risk to, "Win a battle, lose the war." ? (Google tells me this is a Pyrrhic victory.)
    -Nick
    audio: Ö ¤ wk Py

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    Poopity poop
    I don't care what we're talking about; that's funny all by itself, in a giggly juvenile sort of way. :+)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast