Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground Presets?

Ground Presets?

Hey,

I was hoping there would be some nice ground presets in the trial version I'm trying
    but don't see any. I could really use some that simulate a flat, rough with some
    scrubby vegetation look. The look I'm after is of an open field in the fall.
    Maybe someone could point me to some to download?

Thanks,

Carl

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	presets.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	137685

This is the standard nature presets that come with LW.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Prefere real displacement texture !
    https://www.rd-textures.com/

All those standard presets that ship with LW should be turfed immediately, they were designed by who know's who sometime in the 80's and are utterly pointless additions. As examples all they do is teach newbies the wrong way to make surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by ckeyes888 View Post
    Hey,

I was hoping there would be some nice ground presets in the trial version I'm trying
    but don't see any. I could really use some that simulate a flat, rough with some
    scrubby vegetation look. The look I'm after is of an open field in the fall.
    Maybe someone could point me to some to download?

Thanks,

Carl
    you are on the wrong way if you think scrubby vegetation look is appliable with a simple surface procedural texture preset, a texture would help a bit, but not really what you want I would say, since you need vegetation, add instances for that, the actuall soil isnīt that hard if you know how to tweak procedurals, proīs with that if you get it right, is resolution independent when you zoom in, and no tiling, conīs is slower to render and harder to get proper realistic fractal settings correct..

and how does an open field in fall look like, must be more than one typical look , post images.

Quote Originally Posted by THIBAULT View Post
    Prefere real displacement texture !
    https://www.rd-textures.com/
    These look gorgeous! I still wonder what the value of purchasing these might be if I have good photos of my own and Crazy Bump. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by sadkkf; 08-17-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    All those standard presets that ship with LW should be turfed immediately, they were designed by who know's who sometime in the 80's and are utterly pointless additions. As examples all they do is teach newbies the wrong way to make surfaces.
    I only showed those becuause lw presets was what was asked for
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

like THIBAULT says,
    www.rd-textures.com
    and...
    www.poliigon.com
    www.megascans.se

I still wonder what the value of purchasing these might be if I have good photos of my own and Crazy Bump. Any thoughts?
    should work alright,

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Question about using Poliigon or any "layered" texture.

wanted to find out if i'm using the poliigon texture layers correctly, if you don't mind me asking here.

I pulled a free texture from poliigon.
    https://www.poliigon.com/texture/2287

Name:	poliigon_tile.PNG 
Views:	79 
Size:	394.7 KB 
ID:	137702

I use color layer on color.
    ~60% specularity with no texture
    65% glossiness with "GLOSS" texture
    100% reflection with "REFL" texture
    100% bump with "DISP16" texture
    and then just created a 2D textures "NormalMap" node and connected it to "Normal".

All of this plus two spotlights created the below renders. It comes out "okay." Am i missing something? Is there a better way?

Name:	poliigon_test1.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	137703

Name:	poliigon_test2.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	137704
    ironman

LW 2015.3, Vue xStream 2015

I also tried one of the Polligon free textures (Ground Forest 003) and this is what I got:

Name:	PolligonGroundTest.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	137719

I applied the texture using two nodes (inset left) and it looks just like a normal texture map applied to a plane, ie flat as a pancake. So.... what am I missing/doing wrong? Whilst the texture is nice, why would you spend all that money on something that simply isn't any better than a normal image? If I apply a displacement map then I get the rubbish result shown in inset right.

Is it just that LW is not capable of producing the supposed results you see on the websites (which look stunning)?

I'd like to think it's my lack of knowledge that is the problem here Assuming that is the case, any help on how to use these things properly would be hugely appreciated.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

you have to wack the sub division levels right up to get the results on the site, it wont do much to a flat solid, if you have octane then I am guessing you can use micro displacement but lightwave cant do that on its own yet,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

a good question,
    maybe LW normal maps appear more flat,
    or maybe the image should have some reflection applied to boost the 3D look.

ground forest might not be the best 3dimensional test though.

"micro displacement" i know DPont made a plugin, should work, though it required lots of memory, or something, can't recall.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I don't have Octane but will check out the Dpont plugin. Even when ramping up the Sub-d levels it's still rubbish :-( The forest texture from a distance though is very nice indeed, might save a few hundred thousand grass/foliage instances....
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Thanks for all the excellent solutions! Lots of great options.

Carl

I was wondering the same thing. Got a couple of wood normal maps from poliigon, set up a texture using nodes, add the normal map to a Normal Map node, connected the normal output from the node into the normal input for the surface node.

It should have work. But it didn't. Whatever I did, there was no difference, no sign of the normal map effect on the rendered image.

Banged my head against the wall for a couple ours trying things.

Came back a week later and banged my head for another 2 hours.

Only when the headache was sublime I Googled the thing and find the answer on a post somewhere on some forum.

So the rather obscure solution is: (I don't know why, and I don't care, It works)

Once you have loaded your normal map into lightwave, go to the image editor, select the normal map, change the "COLOR SPACE RGB" for that particular map only from Default to Linear.

After that it works beautifully. By changing the "Amplitude" in the NormalMap node, the "intensity" of the normal map can be adjusted. So the grain of the wood can be fine tuned from very soft to very strong.

You don't need a subdivided mesh, I works on a humble quad. I've attached two quick renders to show the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    I also tried one of the Polligon free textures (Ground Forest 003) and this is what I got:

Name:	PolligonGroundTest.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	137719

I applied the texture using two nodes (inset left) and it looks just like a normal texture map applied to a plane, ie flat as a pancake. So.... what am I missing/doing wrong? Whilst the texture is nice, why would you spend all that money on something that simply isn't any better than a normal image? If I apply a displacement map then I get the rubbish result shown in inset right.

Is it just that LW is not capable of producing the supposed results you see on the websites (which look stunning)?

I'd like to think it's my lack of knowledge that is the problem here Assuming that is the case, any help on how to use these things properly would be hugely appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Without normal map.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	138185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	With Normal Map.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	655.1 KB 
ID:	138184  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast