Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presentation of LWO / LWS to our clients -> 3D PDF

Presentation of LWO / LWS to our clients -> 3D PDF

Hello,
    Surely some of you have solved it. I need to send the client a 3D model from LWO (including texture, UV mapping), but in a portable document format independent of the OS. This purpose would best suit the 3D PDF formats. Do you know a tool to convert LWO / LWS 2015 to 3D PDF?
    Thanks for suggestions

Erikals: Thanks, I found this thread in my search. Unfortunately, I was hoping that the issue had moved somewhere over the course of time. Looks like not.

TrueArt Support
    You can do it this way:
    Download VirtualDub, Camtasia, or other desktop recording software, and start recording and spin object(s), scene, in viewport, or VPR, and then send recorded movie.

Or convert it into UNITY and set it up as an Augmented Reality Display

I have done it several times few years ago. If I remember correctly I exported Collada from LW, then imported to Photoshop and then exported to U3D format and then took it to Acrobat for 3D PDF. UV mapping worked also after I figured it out. It takes only few minutes when you know what to do. If you still have problems I can try to find my files and workflow to help you further.

Now things come back to my mind! There was also an issue with rotating the object in 3D PDF. It was little bit clumsy because you can rotate the object all directions and rotating wasn't that smooth. I managed to find some script that I used to make the rotation smooth in PDF and also lock some axels to make it easier for the customer.

Designsparks can turn obj files to 3d pdfīs quite easy, it is free, you do need to register with some personal info on their site though, it has a simple export button..next to the 3d model download you have export options and from there you can export your model to pdf wich allows anyone to rotate measure a model.

Import format for Designsparks is obj, so save your lwo model as obj then import to Designsparks, then just click on export options and select 3d pdf format, not sure about the uv maps though, I had a go at designsparks some months ago at work, and it is easy to use, has non destructive workflow, adding dimensions and rounding fillet has widgets to do that or change dimension values after intial radius is set etc, it also has a nice pattern tool to create holes for instance in a radial pattern.

I need to install it here on my machine first then I may be able to showcase it, perhaps at the weekend.

Just installed it, it was a while since I used it at work, so I need to get back working with it, check the print screen, and if you want to fillet edges, just use the pull tool on any edge.
    But look at the print screen to guide you where you go for exporting it from designsparks, in this sample screenshot..there is only a solid mode in my sample, but other format such as obj will work (no import option needed) it also imports sketchup and stl and step files.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Designsparks export to pdf.jpeg 
Views:	290 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	137688  

What about Marmoset Toolbag? You can export the object to a viewer which requires a web browser.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Once in acrobat, anyone can view the 3d object without having a 3d software installed, by default and security reason, a pdf file with 3d content is inactivated in adobe acrobat, so you just need to activate it, there is a message bar at the top of the imported document.
    I do not think itīs possible to view uv textured objects in pdfs.

you do get a lot of options to use, like cut through planes as in this sample, I loaded a make human mesh in to lightwave, then exported to obj and loaded in to designsparks then epxorted to 3d pdfs, you also got some measure tools, you also get
    layout views as they were made in designsparks so clicking on those will apply rotation based on that...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d pdf.jpeg 
Views:	278 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	137689  

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Or convert it into UNITY and set it up as an Augmented Reality Display
    I did this a lot for clients that needed to interactively approve rigged characters for their game. This is easy to export as fbx to unity and the superior option - they can look at it on their mobile devices (from an email link to the unity app) super easy. Gotta love Unity.

It's has a bit of a clunky UI and you have to bake your textures out first, but we've used Simlab to create 3D PDFs with fairly good results for more straightforward models. If I recall correctly, exporting to FBX from LW works best.
    Last edited by devin; 08-16-2017 at 11:22 PM.

@Prometheus THX .... Designspark mechanical I tried ... Unfortunately, it does not seem to support texture import .... otherwise the simplest workflow

@Sami .... I do not have a UNITY license

@ Devin ..... Yes, Simlab was also tested in the trial version, unfortunately after the expiration of the deadline is unusable

Generally ... I am looking for a non-commercial solution ... the number of such generated models is assumed to be max. 5/year

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions

Unity licences are free. And there are hundreds of tutorials online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast