Thread: Sony EVI-HD1 PTZ Camera

Sony EVI-HD1 PTZ Camera

Is anyone using this camera with their Tricaster? Wondering if it's compatible with the PTZ software that's built-in. It is HD-SDI and uses RS-232 for control. That may be a problem for controlling it over a distance. For now, it would only be about 30 feet away from the Tricaster.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Quote Originally Posted by Marty01 View Post
    Is anyone using this camera with their Tricaster? Wondering if it's compatible with the PTZ software that's built-in. It is HD-SDI and uses RS-232 for control. That may be a problem for controlling it over a distance. For now, it would only be about 30 feet away from the Tricaster.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Guess I had a brain lapse. There would be no way to control it all from the Tricaster using RS232. Guess the best and least expensive option would be to just get a camera from PTZ Optics.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

You just need a USB to RS-232 adapter to give the TriCaster a serial port. I've not tried this model camera myself, but with the latest software versions most serial VISCA based cameras should work.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Marty,

What Kane said. I use the TrippLite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter #USA-19HS, available for under $30 (Amazon). Works great with PTZ Optics camera in Sony RS-232 mode and I see no reason you'd not have success with the Sony camera. The Keyspan unit requires a driver install on TriCaster (download it) and it is white-listed by Newtek so you will not be nagged to Restore the system. Just check in Windows to see which COM port the KeySpan is using, and set that COM # along with Sony RS-232 in the PTZ Config panel in TC UI and you should be in business.

What about distance? For $10-15, get a USB Extender kit. Has two dongles that change USB to Cat-5 and back for up to 150 ft. This setup works, I use it.

You should have complete control then via TriCaster PTZ tab, including 15 PTZ Presets.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Hi Marty,

What Kane said. I use the TrippLite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter #USA-19HS, available for under $30 (Amazon). Works great with PTZ Optics camera in Sony RS-232 mode and I see no reason you'd not have success with the Sony camera. The Keyspan unit requires a driver install on TriCaster (download it) and it is white-listed by Newtek so you will not be nagged to Restore the system. Just check in Windows to see which COM port the KeySpan is using, and set that COM # along with Sony RS-232 in the PTZ Config panel in TC UI and you should be in business.

What about distance? For $10-15, get a USB Extender kit. Has two dongles that change USB to Cat-5 and back for up to 150 ft. This setup works, I use it.

You should have complete control then via TriCaster PTZ tab, including 15 PTZ Presets.

Thanks
    Thanks Jeff, that's some good info and tells me exactly what I needed to know, if I decide to purchase the Sony camera.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

Hi Marty,

Are you looking at used? That's an older, discontinued model (Sony EVI-HD1)

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

Hi Marty,

Are you looking at used? That's an older, discontinued model (Sony EVI-HD1)

Thanks
    Yes, it's a used one but almost new since it was a demo. Haven't decided whether to get it or not. 10x is not a lot of zoom but would probably work for me and the price is not too bad. Now a PTZ Optics 12 or 20x would probably be much better and I would only have to run a network cable directly from the Tricaster to control it.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

Quote Originally Posted by Marty01 View Post
    Yes, it's a used one but almost new since it was a demo. Haven't decided whether to get it or not. 10x is not a lot of zoom but would probably work for me and the price is not too bad. Now a PTZ Optics 12 or 20x would probably be much better and I would only have to run a network cable directly from the Tricaster to control it.

Marty
    The network cable would actually go from the switch to the camera, not directly from the TriCaster.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Marty,

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

I ended up buying a PTZOptics 20X Gen2 camera. I also purchased the USA-19HS adapter you mentioned above along with a 50 foot RS-232 extension cable. For some reason I can't get the Tricaster 460 to control the camera. I have set the baud rate in the camera menu and the Tricaster configuration to the same. I have tried the PTZ and Sony in the config and neither will control the camera. I do have a green light on the Keyspan and it will blink one time every time I click on a preset. Also checked the com port and have the right one selected in the Tricaster config. The Position button, focus and zoom buttons don't do anything either. Beginning to wonder if there is an issue with the camera. Do you have any ideas of what I may be missing? The remote that came with the camera will control it fine. Have a big conference I'm leaving for tomorrow and would really like to get this working. I may can try controlling it through the network with a little help setting it up. I have a 100Mbps switch if that will work. I know the Tricaster and the camera both connect to the switch, just not sure about the ip settings.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

Hi Marty,

Did you install the Keyspan drivers? I believe they are supposed to be installed before connecting the adapter - https://www.tripplite.com/support/usa19hs

Try connecting without the extension cable until you get it working. I've never messed with baud rate in camera menu - PTZ Optics just work right out of the box for me, have installed many.

Serial cable must go to IN port on camera, not out.

Also, use the Sony RS-232 preset in TriCaster, that works while the PTZ Optics one does not (go figure...).

Hope this gets you going!

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

Hi Marty,

Did you install the Keyspan drivers? I believe they are supposed to be installed before connecting the adapter - https://www.tripplite.com/support/usa19hs

Try connecting without the extension cable until you get it working. I've never messed with baud rate in camera menu - PTZ Optics just work right out of the box for me, have installed many.

Serial cable must go to IN port on camera, not out.

Also, use the Sony RS-232 preset in TriCaster, that works while the PTZ Optics one does not (go figure...).

Hope this gets you going!

Thanks

I did install the driver without the dongle connected. I have tried the Sony setting with no results. I do have the cable connected to the IN port on the camera. I will try without the RS232 extension cable and see if I can get it working. If it doesn't work that way, there must be something wrong with the camera. Do you know exactly what I would need to do to try and control it through the Ethernet port? I know I have to connect a network cable from the camera to a switch and connect from the Tricaster to the switch. Beyond that I don't have step by step process.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

Turn camera off. Restart TriCaster, wait until it gets to LIVE UI, then turn on camera. My camera will "cycle" 3 times to calibrate itself (head moves around) then it is ready to use.

Make sure that serial cable is seated well. I've never tried network control, can't help there.

Regarding the change you made in camera menu, perhaps do a RESET on camera and start fresh, don't change anything in camera settings, I never did.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

Okay, I will give it a try as soon as I get home today.

Thanks and I sure hope I can get it working.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5