Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me in creating a rocky desert scene

Help me in creating a rocky desert scene

Hello everyone,

i would like to create a realistic sand/rocky desert scene and i don't know where to start.

Any hint or tutorial?

Thank you in advance

Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Hi, at first it is important that you have some good reference images, where you/we can see how how your scene should look like and how your final image should look like.

Next Steps would be the terain, look for some displacement maps or try it procedurally in lightwave to make sand dunes or rocky terain

Then i would do the lighting, maybe try it with the sund and sky plugin and then look for some good textures of sand and so on ....

hope this was helpfull, if you post some reference images we can help you further

alex
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

Thank you all.

I thought i would have to start creating a terrain with some sort of sand texture.

Quote Originally Posted by AmigaNewTek View Post
    Thank you all.

I thought i would have to start creating a terrain with some sort of sand texture.
    You can start anywhere hard to tell if we donīt know exactly what type of desert, and I have never seen or been in anyone in real life.

sand texture, well...only for basic ground and grain perhaps, the rest is a lot of varied rock in various types and sizes, from shards, pebbles, stone to mid rock and large rock maybe, that is probably the range.
    The advance placement is probably absolutly great to take the pain out of placing things, but it may also be expensive for someting you may not absolutly need...depends on how much you aim to do this kind of thing and if you may find yourself low on time and may need it for work etc.

But otherwise you can also simulate almost the same by using bullet and trow it in there, you can collect various stones in one layer and use bullet part mode and drop them down and let them settle, then load another part and do the same, maybe change position, or dynamic settings.
    Another way to distibute rock parts, that would be to let a particle emitter flow down some areas, then use instances and connect some rocks to the particles..there it will however be trickier and more of the same type of stones though.

and other approach would be to use procedural textures, or a painted texture as distribution maps and use that when instancing rock parts..
    And yet another would be to simply use modeler and place mesh, where you can paint in objects from certain layers to a foreground layer, with control of scaling and rotation for it, to be aware of is that you should have your stone objects located at origin spot before using place mesh, it uses that pivot point when attaching place meshed to any poly normal you put it on.

Thereīs also another way in modeler that I need to check up and get back to.

I would also consider getting the crackit plugin, use it on a mesh to split pieces, so then run metaform plus on it, that will give you instant stone or rock pieces, to further enhance, then I would suggest taking a look at free blender and rock creation there, and mainly sculpt some parts, then send back to lightwave.

There is also the way of going with photogrammetry, some very nice pieces of Real Rocks can be found on sketchfab, amazing how much they have over there now...but it is ofcourse not for commercial use, unless you contact the author and make a deal.
    You can also make your own with photogrammetry, but it will take some time.

Foremost is that you need to be clear on what kind of desert you want, and have the proper reference on it as alexs3d mentioned.

Edited, well ...sculptris may also help with rocks and stones, itīs free and you have a nice texture painting option that is easy to get going with, it uses tiled uv mapping, and you can choose to paint with both texture and bump at the same time, or use one or the other, as well as paint directly with displacement, sculptris has a nice way of blending when you paint in the textures....

hereīs a horrible rock shape demonstrating painting in of textures, first some bump, then some mixture of textures..nevermind the actual rock shape, just more testing texture painting..

For more advanced and punch in realism, you would probably like to sculpt a hig res detail surface,
    then bake that to a normal map to apply on your final pieces, instead of using so dense meshes, but thatīs not for beginner level.

shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post

Which one?

and as shrox also knows about, you can use hypervoxels for some rock parts, though I am not much for that approach nowadays, assigning hvīs to particles or points, there are some pitfalls in how the shape works out, and some bugs if you mix them with a procedural ground texture, then again if you use a texture that shouldnīt be a problem.

Oh..sorry shrox, It first looked as there was many different desert landscapes from various areas, but itīs just many variations.
    I like those flat iron peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Oh..sorry shrox, It first looked as there was many different desert landscapes from various areas, but itīs just many variations.
    I like those flat iron peaks.
    The Sonoran desert in Arizona, it covers the southern half of the state.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Big Kahuna
    Quote Originally Posted by AmigaNewTek View Post
    Hello everyone,

i would like to create a realistic sand/rocky desert scene and i don't know where to start.

Any hint or tutorial?

Thank you in advance
    are you going to do a desert in africa, the middle east, australian outback or america? picking a region is the first step. i have been to deserts/the bush in all of these places (with the exception of australia -- on my bucket list), and their landscapes are unique.

then begin your research. as a desert creature myself (lived for many years in the arid new mexico/USA desert), there are specific ecologies to each desert region. for example, arizona deserts are vastly different than arid deserts in color, plant species, rock formations and wildlife. once you determine which region you prefer, then research the various plants and formations found in this specific desert. this way, your render will not only have a beautiful look, but will also be realistic in respect to ecological elements. a good example is the saguaro cactus, only found in arizona. it's a dead giveaway when i see movies or TV shows supposedly taking place new mexico or nevada/death valley deserts (i.e., westerns) that have saguaro cactus in the scenes. so many people love this classic cactus' look, but placing it where it does not belong may fool those who have never been in a desert, but irritate those of us who know the desert and immediately cast the scene creator as ignorant. and of course, saharan deserts and other dune-based deserts stand alone in their ecologies and geography -- a good sculpting program would be a benefit here, to create the swells and movement of the dunes...

use actual photographic reference for your color palette as well. new mexico and nevada deserts have more of a yellow & ochre color to their landscape, while arizona has the red "painted" desert feel. keep your rock formations consistent with the location for a true, authentic and accurate render. make sure to incorporate lighting color contrasts for a dramatic effect: afternoon & evening: warm colors for the sun/key lights, with cool colors for the shadows (cool purples and blues); mornings: cool key lights and warm shadows.

UV creation is going to be imperative for a realistic look -- hand paint your UV's in a paint program for scenic elements, and use the color palette consistently throughout for a unified look. you can use photographic material for bumps and displacements.

deserts are wonderful, powerful and spiritual places that create a sense of expanse and majesty. have FUN! and please post your progress - i, personally, would love to see what you come up with....
    Last edited by TreyX; 07-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TreyX View Post
    ...deserts are wonderful, powerful and spiritual places....
    No! The desert is a horrible place you can't wait to grow up and move away from!

Well, actually, I thought I would never love a place as much as I did the Sonoran desert, until I moved to the giant redwoods of the Pacific Northwest. I grew up in Phoenix and the area south of Queen Creek. I still like the area around Tucson.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------

No! The desert is a horrible place you can't wait to grow up and move away from!

Well, actually, I thought I would never love a place as much as I did the Sonoran desert, until I moved to the giant redwoods of the Pacific Northwest. I grew up in Phoenix and the area south of Queen Creek. I still like the area around Tucson.
    I can imagine going for a visit in the desert or in those canyon lands, interesting landscape to watch ..but only for some day or two, but I donīt think I would like it there, I am not a fan of too hot weather, and I guess I would like to get back to nearby forests and streams and lakes for fishing and recreation.

You might enjoy this talk Dice did on how they made the environments in Star Wars: Battlefront using photogrammetry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_WaqCBp9zo
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Big Kahuna

lol. at heart, i am a desert creature. i now live in texas, but long for a return to life in the desert. to each his own. Haha. i've had very mystical experiences in the desert. on the zuni day of the dead, when i was alone at el morro in the western new mexican desert, i was surrounded by spirits of anasazi warriors - they rode horses around me and i could hear the hooves and the battle cries, as well as feel the wind swirling around me kicked up by their horses. my dogs did too -- they could see them, even though i could only hear them. when u have an encounter like that which defies belief and transcends physics and the laws of this universe, you develop a very deep respect for the desert and all of the secrets it holds...
    Last edited by TreyX; 07-18-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast