Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First AMD Threadripper Cinebench R15 results published - Intel Crushed!

First AMD Threadripper Cinebench R15 results published - Intel Crushed!

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proces...erformance-999

$999 for the 1950X, $799 for the 1920X. Single thread performance is very good too: 3.5ghz, with a 4ghz boost. Great temps, low wattage, and an amazing 64 PCIe lanes: it is confirmed that 1TB of RAM is supported!!! To bring this into perspective, Intel's $13,000 Xeon Platinum has 48 lanes.

Intel got caught with their pants down. The only answer from Intel so far: a paper-based $1990 18-core i9 which will be out next year, I believe.

Good times for the consumer!
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Looks Good!

Does AMD play nice with NVIDVIA/Octane, and the rest of the Lightwave ecosystem? I recall from years ago that Intel was orthodoxy.

Just sayin. . . .

And how you gonna fit/afford 1TB of RAM on a mobo?

In order to put 1TB of DRAM in the system, users will have to populate each of the eight slots with 128GB LRDIMM modules. These are 'relatively rare' - Crucial's 128GB LRDIMMs should be coming out in Q3, and will cost north of $2000 each, or we can find no-name brand modules for $4000+ today.
    https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/all-produ...c-load-reduced

Source (video at the bottom of the article): http://www.anandtech.com/show/11636/...bo-799-999-usd
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Sweet, this means my local Microcenter which has been having some really good sales on intel 7700k's will be dropping the price even more. Looks like a new Intel CPU is in my forecast.

:-)

-Adrian

I am waiting 6 months, or so, and see that the situation is at that time. I am currently still running an overclocked i7 920, and till this time I never saw any reason to update to newer hardware (outside video cards, etc.). Never before waited this long to upgrade the CPU and motherboard!

I did just purchase a GTX 1080 - which will be great for GPU rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proces...erformance-999

$999 for the 1950X, $799 for the 1920X. Single thread performance is very good too: 3.5ghz, with a 4ghz boost. Great temps, low wattage, and an amazing 64 PCIe lanes: it is confirmed that 1TB of RAM is supported!!! To bring this into perspective, Intel's $13,000 Xeon Platinum has 48 lanes.

Intel got caught with their pants down. The only answer from Intel so far: a paper-based $1990 18-core i9 which will be out next year, I believe.

Good times for the consumer!
    as far as I am aware both the intel 16 and 18 core will be out by Q4 also the i97900 has already dropped to £899 in the uk so it has sparked a rather useful price war, remember the intels can be overclocked far past the AMDs without overheating, and that is a lot of ram! shame it would be fairly useless with octane!
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by ActionBob View Post
    Sweet, this means my local Microcenter which has been having some really good sales on intel 7700k's will be dropping the price even more. Looks like a new Intel CPU is in my forecast.

:-)

-Adrian
    For the fun of it, I nabbed one of the first 1800X from that very same Microcenter on launch day... it's been a solid work-horse rendering box, zero issues, with very few hours off rendering LW work for all these months. AMD has earned new respect from me, as that was the first AMD in my fleet since early Athalon days.

I'll be jumping back into the water with this new 1950X, but a few weeks out from launch to let the dust settle on motherboard support, etc.

Regards,

Jim A.

by the way, I think those intel cinebench scores are the very first ones before the motherboard upgrades were rolled out, all the recent 7700 scores I have seen have been way over 1000, the 7900 I have seen at 2454 when running with turbo, which technically is not overclocking as they run turbo under stock, so that puts it higher than the 12 core ripper although not when you compare GHz to processing speed,
    also there is a 12 and 14 core intel in a month or so, which looking at the numbers will push just past the amd slightly, it looks like in the uk the prices of the 1920 and the 7900 will be about equal (infact I have seen on a few websites in the us they are both exactly $999 in google) although the RRP for the intel is more,
    and if you divide the score by core, the intel wins by nearly 20 points per core
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    by the way, I think those intel cinebench scores are the very first ones before the motherboard upgrades were rolled out, all the recent 7700 scores I have seen have been way over 1000, the 7900 I have seen at 2454 when running with turbo, which technically is not overclocking as they run turbo under stock, so that puts it higher than the 12 core ripper although not when you compare GHz to processing speed,
    also there is a 12 and 14 core intel in a month or so, which looking at the numbers will push just past the amd slightly, it looks like in the uk the prices of the 1920 and the 7900 will be about equal (infact I have seen on a few websites in the us they are both exactly $999 in google) although the RRP for the intel is more,
    and if you divide the score by core, the intel wins by nearly 20 points per core
    The 7900x runs hot, is power hungry, and the really ugly part is that Intel decided to delid it. And I believe it requires an additional £100 for a physical key that unlocks certain VROC RAID features.

All in all, it is a confusing product, and probably released by Intel to offer some sort of panic counter response to Ryzen. I wouldn't touch that 7900x CPU myself (would literally burn my skin off ;-) ).

The 7900x only serves to make AMD look better in (almost) all respects at this point.

Anyway, good to see AMD kicking Intel's behind again for a change. It's been too long.

Well, there you go. It's been confirmed that Intel's i9 has SEVERE overheating issues.

Again, I recommend reading the full story, but the bottom line is this: Even at 160W, Skylake-X can’t run a high-end air cooler like the Noctua DH-15 for more than a few minutes before it begins to throttle. At least a decent CLLC (closed loop liquid cooler) is required, and a top-end system is mandatory for full performance. These settings, however, do not push temperatures on the VRMs or other components all that high. Keep in mind, no overclocking is being done in either of these cases.
    You read that right: even with a high-end air cooler the CPU will be throttled after a few minutes.

It basically means it is worthless for 3d rendering at anything beyond a couple of minutes, unless you invest heavily in a costly high-end water cooled system.

Read up on the story here:
    https://www.extremetech.com/computin...xs-design-well

And all because Intel decided to scrape the bottom in favour of profits. Intel is looking pretty bad at this point, while AMD is looking better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I am waiting 6 months, or so, and see that the situation is at that time. I am currently still running an overclocked i7 920, and till this time I never saw any reason to update to newer hardware (outside video cards, etc.). Never before waited this long to upgrade the CPU and motherboard!

I did just purchase a GTX 1080 - which will be great for GPU rendering.
    How could you not see any reason to update? You must be rendering with Octane. The 920 is very, very slow! And I know since I used to also be on an overclocked 920, 10 years ago, it was later upgraded to a 960 and it became twice as fast, but even with the 960 it has now been sitting unused for a few years, not even worth it for the render farm as I have much faster and more watt efficient machines. I've been working with a one that is 6 times faster for 5 years now. I urge everyone in 3d to get the fastest machine possible as your work will improve, the faster you get previews the better quality your end result will be because you can iterate more, and also you can use higher quality settings.

The thread ripper does look attractive, there are faster intel chips than the i9 that was presented in the test, but they are way more expensive.

I had a long answer for you, but it got deleted by the forum software... Grumble.

Short answer: I get 554 points in Cinebench for rendering. I update to a new CPU when I receive at least two-three times better rendering speed at a reasonable cost. With AMD out of the race, it just did not happen for 7 years, or so. Only small incremental speed-ups. Even the 7700 is only about twice as fast. It did not seem worth the hassle for the upgrade, because....

...I discovered GPU rendering: ridiculous fast rendering, and no need to invest in a completely new build. Only get a new video card - which I did twice. For my requirements I did not need a lot of rendering ram. And Cycles and Octane were improving in speed as well. In short, CPU versus GPU: easy win for GPU due to both speed and value (for my work and situation).

AMD changed the playfield: a cheap Ryzen 1800 is faster than an i7 5960X for rendering- at less than half the price. The Threadripper 1950 is almost six times(!) faster than my i7 920.

I do need to update my machine in the upcoming six months - I am waiting a bit until the kinks have been wrought out, and by then Threadripper will have completely changed the CPU market. Probably even faster AMD CPUs will become available, since their architecture is pretty much easily scalable.

Intel has no viable counter move at this point - it will probably take them at least till the first quarter of next year to have a fitting answer ready.

All good for us, the consumer.

Check out the Ryzen benchmark results here: http://cbscores.com/

- - - Updated - - -

I had a long answer for you, but it got deleted by the forum software... Grumble.

Short answer: I get 554 points in Cinebench for rendering. I update to a new CPU when I receive at least two-three times better rendering speed at a reasonable cost. With AMD out of the race, it just did not happen for 7 years, or so. Only small incremental speed-ups. Even the 7700 is only about twice as fast. It did not seem worth the hassle for the upgrade, because....

...I discovered GPU rendering: ridiculous fast rendering, and no need to invest in a completely new build. Only get a new video card - which I did twice. For my requirements I did not need a lot of rendering ram. And Cycles and Octane were improving in speed as well. In short, CPU versus GPU: easy win for GPU due to both speed and value (for my work and situation).

AMD changed the playfield: a cheap Ryzen 1800 is faster than an i7 5960X for rendering- at less than half the price. The Threadripper 1950 is almost six times(!) faster than my i7 920.

I do need to update my machine in the upcoming six months - I am waiting a bit until the kinks have been wrought out, and by then Threadripper will have completely changed the CPU market. Probably even faster AMD CPUs will become available, since their architecture is pretty much easily scalable.

Intel has no viable counter move at this point - it will probably take them at least till the first quarter of next year to have a fitting answer ready.

All good for us, the consumer.

Check out the Ryzen benchmark results here: http://cbscores.com/

Will there be a Lightwave threadripper benchmark?

Quote Originally Posted by UNREALONE1 View Post
    Will there be a Lightwave threadripper benchmark?
    Given the extremely widespread adoption of Cinebench, it would be difficult to displace it now it even if a free equivalent benchmark using LW existed (and it doesn't). As implementing such a benchmark would require non-trivial engineering effort, seems kind of counter-productive for LW3DG to put effort there (with minimal hope of return), versus putting effort towards product that can potentially earn them revenue.

Keep in mind, there's negligible incentive to replace an existing, well-characterized and understood benchmark with another relatively-unknown/-uncharacterized benchmark that claims to measure the same effective performance characteristics. Characterizing and validating the newcomer requires significant investment of time and effort, so unless it offers a compelling benefit over the existing benchmark, there's inadequate motive to justify the risk inherent in switching.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

also bear in mind that the processors will give different results in real situations over just the numbers, I posted in the other cpu thread
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-PC-build-help!
    scan have been testing the threadripper and for applications such as max, maya, solidworks etc it was actually a lot slower than the smaller I9 7900x, which has 6 less cores, but nearly 15% faster at those apps, they also had problems when adding more than 16gb (that's a bit of a problem for a processor that's supposed to be able to use 1TB!) of ram having to lower mem and clock speeds, so the big I9 when it comes may be nearly twice the price, but it may also perform twice as fast with many apps, cinema4D was one of the only notable advances as that ran nearly 38% faster, which actually fits the number of cores, but if you pair an intel with a ROG board you can almost gain 15% over the equal standard board due to the extra pin arrangement and exclusive over clock Rog has with intel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast