Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Spark questions

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    33

    Spark questions

    I am very happy to see this new device.

    I have a couple of questions about the HDMI" version
    • What is the wireless protocol. Is it 802.11ac?
    • What is typical wireless throughput?
    • Could this be connected directly into an ethernet port on a computer (to act as a direct wired capture device)?
    • What capacity SD cards does it accept?
    • Does anyone have a screenshot of the web interface, so we can see configuration options?
    • Is a user manual available yet?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    37
    Can this device be powered via a PTap connection? If the goal is to be wireless it doesn't make much sense to have to plug into a standard outlet.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    I am very happy to see this new device.

    I have a couple of questions about the HDMI" version
    • What is the wireless protocol. Is it 802.11ac?
    • What is typical wireless throughput?
    • Could this be connected directly into an ethernet port on a computer (to act as a direct wired capture device)?
    • What capacity SD cards does it accept?
    • Does anyone have a screenshot of the web interface, so we can see configuration options?
    • Is a user manual available yet?
    What he said! Also interested to find answers to the above.
    A.

  4. #4
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,348
    Quote Originally Posted by ASD20 View Post
    Can this device be powered via a PTap connection? If the goal is to be wireless it doesn't make much sense to have to plug into a standard outlet.
    I honestly don't know, but that's an interesting notion. I'll inquire,
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  5. #5
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,348
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    What is the wireless protocol. Is it 802.11ac?
    Yes - dual band, 2.4 and 5.8gHz, a/b/g/n.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    What is typical wireless throughput?
    There are three bandwidth options (Low, Medium, High) to allow you to work on more congested networks. High is up to 1080p60 ... Medium is 720p, Low is SD. I don't think there would be any problem with a number of "High" bandwidth signals on a single wifi network, if there wasn't much else going on.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    Could this be connected directly into an ethernet port on a computer (to act as a direct wired capture device)?
    You could capture directly into a computer, sure (the new (NDI) Studio Monitor application included with the HX driver has local capture capabilities), and then there's IsoCorder, etc..

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    What capacity SD cards does it accept?
    This isn't really my strong point, but I know the device supports SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC and eMMC cards.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    Does anyone have a screenshot of the web interface, so we can see configuration options?
    I'm attaching a few images below:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	config_av.01.png 
Views:	292 
Size:	641.6 KB 
ID:	137362

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	config_admin.01.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	137363

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	config_admin.01.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	137363

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	config_admin.Manage.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	137364


    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    Is a user manual available yet?
    Soon, almost certainly later this week.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    london
    Posts
    228
    This is based on unconfirmed information but is probably correct:

    Q. What is the wireless protocol. Is it 802.11ac?

    A. 802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4G/5.8G dual-band

    Q. What is typical wireless throughput?

    A. up to 15MBit/sec (might be up to 25)

    Q. Could this be connected directly into an ethernet port on a computer (to act as a direct wired capture device)?

    A/ Don't see why not.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    33
    Steve,
    Thanks for the replies.

    So, in a situation where there is no existing local network, it appears that I could connect a gigabit network switch directly to a laptop computer and plug several Sparks into the switch.
    Does this sound right to you?
    It might be an interesting alternative to using devices like multiple Magewell HDMI to USB3 dongles.
    Would there be any performance/quality improvement or degradation using NDI (for example in vMix) compared to a USB camera input via a Magewell type device?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    33
    Please let us be more specific about the wireless protocol.

    Is it

    802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4G/5.8G dual-band as stated above or is it (hopefully)

    802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G/5.8G dual-band

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    london
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    So, in a situation where there is no existing local network, it appears that I could connect a gigabit network switch directly to a laptop computer and plug several Sparks into the switch.
    Does this sound right to you?
    It might be an interesting alternative to using devices like multiple Magewell HDMI to USB3 dongles.
    Would there be any performance/quality improvement or degradation using NDI (for example in vMix) compared to a USB camera input via a Magewell type device?
    This is based on unconfirmed information but is probably correct:

    I am guessing its going to be higher latency than Magewell, and the data is going to come in already HX compressed (where it comes in uncompressed via Magewell).
    For a software based processing system which is based on uncompressed frames, there would probably be a larger CPU overhead compared to using a Magwell due to the HX decompression, but its not clear if this would be any more than coming in with regular 100mbit NDI.

    You may not have a DHCP server in the scenario you describe so most likely the Spark boxes would need to be statically configured for IP address.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    london
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    Please let us be more specific about the wireless protocol.

    Is it

    802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4G/5.8G dual-band as stated above or is it (hopefully)

    802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G/5.8G dual-band

    802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4G/5.8G dual-band is correct as far as I can tell.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    london
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    What capacity SD cards does it accept?
    This is based on unconfirmed information but is probably correct:

    1 x Micro SD/TF Card

    no info on capacity, but seems like Micro rather than full size cards.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    33
    So its upper limit is 802.11n ? not 802.11ac?

    That would be unfortunate, mostly in the ability to connect to networks with weak "n" signals but strong "ac" signals.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    london
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
    So its upper limit is 802.11n ? not 802.11ac?

    That would be unfortunate, mostly in the ability to connect to networks with weak "n" signals but strong "ac" signals.
    Presumably you could connect it via ethernet to a wireless interface which does have ac

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    london
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ASD20 View Post
    Can this device be powered via a PTap connection? If the goal is to be wireless it doesn't make much sense to have to plug into a standard outlet.
    This is based on unconfirmed information but is probably correct:

    Power:DC 12V 1A
    Power consumption :4W Max

  15. #15
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,348
    Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    This is based on unconfirmed information but is probably correct:

    Power:DC 12V 1A
    Power consumption :4W Max
    I have the same info, will just add that we have not tested this, so while I suspect it would be fine, I can't confirm it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •