Thread: Lightwave on Microsoft's new Surface Pro. Thoughts?

Question Lightwave on Microsoft's new Surface Pro. Thoughts?

Hi Folks.

Just curious, is anyone running Lightwave on the Microsoft Surface? The new models are expensive but beautiful spec-wise with Intel i7 processors in them. I don't own a Surface but they have caught my eye and while I'm not going to be in the market for one for some time to come, I'm really just asking out of curiosity... Could these run Lightwave at a decent rate?
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Hey, Paul, I have a Surface version 1 (very first one) and a Surface Book i7. I have run Lightwave on both and didn't not have too much problems. Of course, the Surface Book runs it better. Also, mind you, I am not a power user and not modeling 10s of millions of ploys nor animating many objects at once. Render times on the Book are decent for what I am doing. Hope that helps.
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

Hello Paul

From my point of view LW doesn't work properly on the SurfacePro (as well as on other high res displays like on my Dell XPS15 with 4k screen, depending on the scaling even worse). These are screenshots from my Surface Pro 3. As you can see, with the recommended (and for me best) display settings (150% scaling), the compatibility mode settings make the whole LW Layout and Modeler interface blurry or unusable due to dialog display problems.

See a comparison for example of the Hypervoxels dialog. Note that the dialog boxes are maxed out in length and width. Not usable with the "Disable display scaling on high res displays". And without the setting, the UI is blurred. And I really can't stand working in a scaled and blurred UI. It's only LW that has this problem of all my installed applications. Maybe I'm missing something?

Note that when viewing these screenshots they are scaled in the browser, so they might not reflect what is seen on the display.

Attachment 137211

Attachment 137213

Attachment 137215

Attachment 137216

Attachment 137217

Attachment 137218

Attachment 137219

Attachment 137220

Attachment 137221

Attachment 137222

Wow, that's weird, and a disappointment. Have you submitted this issue to LW3DG as a bug? If so, did they reply? Wonder why high resolution displays cause this?
    KnightTrek Productions

The recent version is 4 though. You might want to get feedback on that. Apparently it is a whole new animal, with improved performance/features.

I've just got one (the i5 4 pro), and while I have installed LW on it, I haven't tried it much. I did have a little fiddle and didn't have too many problems that I remember. I'll give it another bash tonight. I did have to get an app which allows you to have a side keyboard up all the time so I can have toggleable modifier keys. So far I haven't loved it. It's been handy, but trying to work with desktop programs on it hasn't really been well thought out, like having to download this app, when something like it should come with the surface by default I think. To get the pressure sensitivity to work with Inkscape and Krita, I had to download Wintab from MS when, again, it should just work like any other stylus/tablet. Once I have it all worked out, it should be nice, but so far it's been a case of getting it to work as it should out of the box IMHO.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Wow, that's weird, and a disappointment. Have you submitted this issue to LW3DG as a bug? If so, did they reply? Wonder why high resolution displays cause this?
    No, I haven't bug reported it and assume that this is something they should notice themselves.

Besides the display limitation the Surface Pro itself works well with LW and most other applications. What doesn't work well are applications that heavily require GPU like Substance tools.

The Surface Pro 5 is announced, so the 4 will drop in price. I'm happy with my Pro 3 with the Pro 4 keyboard for the moment, I have it mostly with me along with my business laptop. When I need more mobile power I use the new Dell XPS 15" with 4k which is great. You should also look at the Dell XPS 13" maybe (but it doesn't have a dedicated GPU). The MS Surface Pro's / Books are a bit overpriced in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    The recent version is 4 though. You might want to get feedback on that. Apparently it is a whole new animal, with improved performance/features.
    A whole new animal... not so much.

Only the Pro 4 with the i7 is quite better because it's internal GPU (Intel Iris 540) is about double as fast. But still not useful for CUDA enabled applications like Resolve or Substance. The CPU power itself between the 3 and the 4 is not improved hugely. The Surface Book can be ordered with an Nvidia GPU but completely overpriced and not that light anymore.

Also consider that higher end laptops (like the XPS15 I mentioned which is about the size of a 14" with a great almost borderless display) have 4 true Cores (8 with Hyperthreading), while with the Surface Pro's the i7 has only 2 Cores (4 virtual ones with HT).

Sure, but I was not trying to make some kind of pro-statement one way or the other. Just suggesting for the intents and purpose of testing it is another animal. I think the features are significantly different between the two. My opinion. A lot of re-engineering was done, which always changes things significantly where it counts. When it comes to hardware you can not compare apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Hi Folks.

Just curious, is anyone running Lightwave on the Microsoft Surface? The new models are expensive but beautiful spec-wise with Intel i7 processors in them. I don't own a Surface but they have caught my eye and while I'm not going to be in the market for one for some time to come, I'm really just asking out of curiosity... Could these run Lightwave at a decent rate?

Yes. You can see The 3rdPowers Plug-in Devs run it on their Youtube promo's

Thanks for the continued feedback and thoughts. I'll definitely check out the videos.
    KnightTrek Productions