Thread: Audio Techniques

Exec Producer TV Webinars

Question Audio Techniques

Hi folks,

We did a show on Friday and we managed the video aspects -- MEs, virtual set with green screen, video transitions, animations -- pretty smoothly. But the program audio was more complex than I anticipated and didn't come out well. We had a music track, pre-recorded video with sound, two in-studio mics, and a remote presenter feed (via NDI Scan) input. The inputs were not well-balanced and the audio quality/levels vary throughout the show.

We're using a Tricaster 460 and Zed 14 for the mics -- there's no way to control all the audio from one place (I think) since the audio from NDI Scan and pre-recorded videos come direct into the board.

Does one engineer usually handle all the video AND audio of a show? It seems like a lot going on, a lot to stay on top of. I wonder how you pros handle the management of live show audio. Advice for this newbie is much appreciated (and pointers to resources, etc).

Thank you!

Lance
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    [email protected]
    (240) 810-2065

TC460, Advanced Edition V2, NDI Transmit, VSE-AE, LiveText
    Panasonic AW-HE120, Canon XF-305, Canon VIXIA HF G40

Feed media player audio to the Aux output ONLY. Run the Aux out to the external mixer.

You can use an SDI demuxer to gain another analog audio outputs to do the same with NDI sources etc. Mix everything on the mixer run the complete mix back into the TC inputs. Make sure those inputs are not routed to Aux to avoid a feed back loop.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    Feed media player audio to the Aux output ONLY. Run the Aux out to the external mixer.

You can use an SDI demuxer to gain another analog audio outputs to do the same with NDI sources etc. Mix everything on the mixer run the complete mix back into the TC inputs. Make sure those inputs are not routed to Aux to avoid a feed back loop.
    So the goal is to run ALL audio through the mixer, that is what I'm getting from your comments? That certainly makes sense.

I am not sure how the "SDI Muxer/DeMuxer" works or what it does but I am googling it now! Any links to docs on how this is used to separate audio track from NDI sources??

Thank you!

Lance
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    [email protected]
    (240) 810-2065

Have all of your mics and NDI scan audio go directly into the mixer on their own channels. If your music is from an external source, also have that go to the mixer directly. If not, route the music and your DDR's directly to aux 3 on the TC - making sure that they are not also going to outs 1 & 2/program concurrently. So now you have all of your external sources at the mixer, and your internal/tc sources going out aux 3 to the mixer (not to program). Now assign everything you want to hear in the studio to aux 1 on the Zed - that's your studio fold-back. Take everything you want to send to air and push that down the program L/R on the Zed, and plug that into channel 1 l/r on the Tricaster. Assign channel 1 on the TC's audio to program.

Now you have an external mixer handling all of the audio for your show. There's a bit of a delay on DDR playbacks - video leads audio by 4-6 frames or so, but that's the cost of doing a show this way. Everything else - like the mics - sync up fine.

Yup, got it, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Have all of your mics and NDI scan audio go directly into the mixer on their own channels. If your music is from an external source, also have that go to the mixer directly. If not, route the music and your DDR's directly to aux 3 on the TC - making sure that they are not also going to outs 1 & 2/program concurrently. So now you have all of your external sources at the mixer, and your internal/tc sources going out aux 3 to the mixer (not to program). Now assign everything you want to hear in the studio to aux 1 on the Zed - that's your studio fold-back. Take everything you want to send to air and push that down the program L/R on the Zed, and plug that into channel 1 l/r on the Tricaster. Assign channel 1 on the TC's audio to program.

Now you have an external mixer handling all of the audio for your show. There's a bit of a delay on DDR playbacks - video leads audio by 4-6 frames or so, but that's the cost of doing a show this way. Everything else - like the mics - sync up fine.
    We're working on it. THANK YOU!!
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    [email protected]
    (240) 810-2065