Thread: Need help rigging and deforming high density mesh.

Need help rigging and deforming high density mesh.

greetings!

i've working on a dragon rig and the deformations are giving me a real big headache. control of the rig works well, but i can't seems to get the shoulder, hip and neck deformation right. i've tried feathering the weight maps and all the different bone property settings, but it always seems like the deform is only happening over 1 or 2 polygons. it's a high density mesh (~100,000 poly) so i don't know whether that's an issue or not. or maybe i'm missing something fundamental to the rigging/deform process? i included a portion of the rig that's just the torso, arm, and leg.

any help is appreciated. thanks!

dragon_deformHelp.zip
    \\ windows 10 \\ lightwave 2015.2+2015.3 \\

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

i didn't model the mesh, so sadly i'm locked into it. And i've been through all of your rig training (which is spectacular) a couple times now. i couldn't have gotten this far without it. next time for sure i'll emphasize the need for a lower poly count.

is there anything i can do with the mesh that i have?

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Not really with any great ease. Ofc, the low poly thing is most important around areas of extreme deformation change, shoulders, elbows, etc... so you might find you can get better results by doing a bit of band gluing in those areas to reduce the local density.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out.

I would go for PLG simplify mesh...which reduced polygons in a great while maintaining the uv maps, I had a hulk figure that went through that process, but i depends on geometry it could actually screw up topology anyway..so what rebel hill says about individually removing edges is perhaps safer, but more tedious.

And besides...I just noticed that plg site is down so the plugin seem to be offline and not acessable no more.

Ah...the plg simplify mesh plugin is part of the whole compiled PLG UV TOOLS...You can download it here...
    https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=h...AxNDk1ODEzODgx

plg simplify mesh is also useful if you download or create high res assets with photogrammetry etc, for instance I have found it useful on sketchfab scans wich can be very high res, it could be sculptures, rocks, scans of skeleton skulls etc, and plg does a nice job of reducing the amount of polys and keeping the uv maps intact.

Wouldn't Qemloss work to simplify the resolution of the object? Of course, I've never used it with UV mapping, and mainly for poly reducing .stl files for client projects.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Wouldn't Qemloss work to simplify the resolution of the object? Of course, I've never used it with UV mapping, and mainly for poly reducing .stl files for client projects.
    I think it destroys the uv maps...I think but as mentioned, plg does a good job at reducing and maintaining the uv maps, itīs in the plg uv tools package and the link I posted.
    I use it sometimes on sketchfab scans, which can have huge amount of polys, so nature items, rocks, trees, statues, scans from national museums that I still want the textures on as well..then plg works great...it would be extremly slow otherwise to use those objects even in layout, so optimizing them a bit with plg simplify mesh helps.