Thread: Weird blue stripe on component input?

VT[2] Aficionado

Question Weird blue stripe on component input?

I had a video camera connected to my TriCaster 40 via component cables to input 4. The video looked fine, but while turning the camera off, I noticed a weird blue band in the picture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Splash HD - 4.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	136853

I connected the camera to inputs 1-3, and the band didn't appear. Curious, I took an HDMI grab of the screen with a separate capture card, then sent the grabbed frame from my VT[5]. When sent from VT, the blue band shows up on all of the TriCaster's inputs:

Name:	Splash SD - 4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	136854

Bars seem to look fine, albeit with a bit of color variation, mostly in the blue square in the bottom left. Input 1:

Name:	Bars SD - 1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	136855

Input 4:

Name:	Bars SD - 4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	136856

And regular video from the camera seems to be fine. Input 1:

Name:	Live Camera HD - 1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	136859

Input 4:

Name:	Live Camera HD - 4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	136857

Meanwhile, if I send the HDMI grab from the TriCaster to VT, there's no blue band:

Name:	VT Input.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	136858

Is there something weird about the yellow bang in that screen, or is there something wrong with my TriCaster?

EDIT: Here's the HDMI frame grab:

Name:	2017052321261928.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	136860
    Last edited by Kevin Brice; 05-23-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach original HDMI frame

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Assuming you are using the same cables and camera for your troubleshooting, I would say something is wrong with your TriCaster input 4 so please contact NewTek support
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I would also check that the yellow color in the image is 'legal' (both the yellow and the red look oversaturated to my eye), and that you don't have any proc amp settings applied to input 4.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

VT[2] Aficionado
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I would also check that the yellow color in the image is 'legal' (both the yellow and the red look oversaturated to my eye), and that you don't have any proc amp settings applied to input 4.
    What's the best way to check if the colors are legal? When I sent the image from VT, I set it to clamp to legal colors hoping that would do the trick, but from VT, the blue stripe showed up on all inputs. I was using a brand-new 480i session on the TriCaster, so there shouldn't have been any proc amp settings enabled.

VT[2] Aficionado
    Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Assuming you are using the same cables and camera for your troubleshooting, I would say something is wrong with your TriCaster input 4 so please contact NewTek support
    Yup, same camera and cables. I still can't make sense of why the stripe also shows up on the other inputs coming from VT, but only on input 4 from the camera, though I did have to use different cables to connect VT and the TriCaster. (The camera has a proprietary component jack.). But again, no blue stripe if I reversed those same cables and went from the TriCaster into VT instead.

VT[2] Aficionado
    Also, I'm apprehensive about mailing this in for service saying "Everything looks fine except when this one screen I never actually want sent out shows up" - it'd be nice to have a more solid repro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brice View Post
    When I sent the image from VT, I set it to clamp to legal colors hoping that would do the trick, but from VT, the blue stripe showed up on all inputs.
    You wrote, "I took an HDMI grab of the screen with a separate capture card, then sent the grabbed frame from my VT[5]. When sent from VT, the blue band shows up on all of the TriCaster's inputs".

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it reads to me like you grabbed an image of the screen showing the blue band, then sent that back from VT[5] to TriCaster. If that's correct, why wouldn't the blue band, which is actually embedded in the source image now, show up on all TC inputs?

I'm not sure what others use to check legal colors, but looking at the pixel values of your yellow and red in a paint app, and both are highly saturated. I'd expect this to show up on your TC's vectorscope, but some TriCasters have a "Show Illegal" option in the viewport context menu under Overlays (not sure about 40 off the top of my head, sorry).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

VT[2] Aficionado
    You wrote, "I took an HDMI grab of the screen with a separate capture card, then sent the grabbed frame from my VT[5]. When sent from VT, the blue band shows up on all of the TriCaster's inputs".

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it reads to me like you grabbed an image of the screen showing the blue band, then sent that back from VT[5] to TriCaster. If that's correct, why wouldn't the blue band, which is actually embedded in the source image now, show up on all TC inputs?

I'm not sure what others use to check legal colors, but looking at the pixel values of your yellow and red in a paint app, and both are highly saturated. I'd expect this to show up on your TC's vectorscope, but some TriCasters have a "Show Illegal" option in the viewport context menu under Overlays (not sure about 40 off the top of my head, sorry).
    Ah, yeah, sorry - that was ambiguous. I meant I took the camera, plugged it into the HDMI capture device directly, and used that to take a clean frame grab with no blue stripe. It's the last image attached to my original post.

If the colors are illegal, does that mean all bets are off about what shows up and the blue stripe could be expected?

I meant I took the camera, plugged it into the HDMI capture device directly, and used that ...
    Aah, thanks.

If the colors are illegal, does that mean all bets are off about what shows up and the blue stripe could be expected?
    I think that's quite likely. I'm attaching a version of your image that I ran through a 'make legal' filter. Try this and see what happens.

Name:	legal.png 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	136864
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

VT[2] Aficionado
    I'm attaching a version of your image that I ran through a 'make legal' filter. Try this and see what happens.

Name:	legal.png 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	136864
    Still a blue stripe.

Name:	Splash SD - Legal - 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	136865

I tried turning on "Illegal" in VT Vision, and nothing showed up, either for the original or for the filtered version. The bang's yellow background gets marked for both if I choose zebra.

EDIT: Could something else be off given the black levels from VT don't seem to match either?

I though it was still a little hot after I ran it through the filter, just eyeballing the RGB values. Maybe try this one, which I knocked back a little more aggressively.

Name:	legal2.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	136866
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

VT[2] Aficionado
    I though it was still a little hot after I ran it through the filter, just eyeballing the RGB values. Maybe try this one, which I knocked back a little more aggressively.

Name:	legal2.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	136866
    Unfortunately, the blue line remains, albeit fainter. Based on VT's color picker, all of the variations of this yellow bang have had video legal shades of yellow. I'm increasingly getting the feeling there's simply a hardware problem with this TriCaster, but I still feel like I don't have enough of an understanding of how the underlying signal works to be sure.

I just spent the last bit playing around with lines in ToasterCG while outputting to the TriCaster. The distortion seems to be most prominent when:
    1. There's a horizontal line
    2. The line has a non-negligible amount of green in it

The distortion band changes color based on what other colors are mixed with green.

Here's a simple thin line with an RGB value of 0, 255, 0:

Name:	lines6.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.5 KB 
ID:	136870

I don't see anything hitting any extremes in the YUV scope, but I admittedly don't really understand what I'm looking at:

Name:	VTScope1.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	679.1 KB 
ID:	136871

With Program Out going to my AVerMedia LGX over component, it looks great. But here's what the TriCaster renders:

Name:	Test SD0011.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	136872

If I reduce the green all the way down to 108, there's still pronounced distortion:

Name:	lines7.png 
Views:	50 
ID:	136873

Name:	VTScope3.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	679.4 KB 
ID:	136874

Name:	Test SD0013.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	136875

The angle of the line seems to matter, which might explain why the distortion isn't readily visible with normal camera output. Here's two horizontal lines, each with their own clear distortion:

Name:	lines.png 
Views:	37 
ID:	136876

Name:	Test SD0006.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	136877

And here's the bottom line rotated. There's still some discoloration by the rotated line, but it's much more subtle:

Name:	lines3.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	136878

Name:	Test SD0008.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	136879

Meanwhile, with no green, there's no distortion:

Name:	lines2.png 
Views:	43 
ID:	136880

Name:	Test SD0007.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	136881

Does anyone else happen to have a setup where they could readily try throwing one of these demo PNGs over to their TriCaster over component?

VT[2] Aficionado
    Circling back on this, I endrf up sending my TC40 in to NewTek since it had a network card problem anyway. It turns out all the TC40s currently exhibit this behavior with the stripe, so a bug has been opened to track the issue. Seeing as it seemingly hasn't been noticed or reported before, it seems to confirm this is quite the corner case that doesn't actually come up in real productions. Thanks!