Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABF UV Unwrap

ABF UV Unwrap

Hi, Iīm trying to do a uv unwrap in Modeller. I donīt go to other software because I feel is pretty easy what I wanna do. Iīm using "ABF UV Unwrap" which works ok, but I have to do the unwraping in two or three parts and here is my problem. Each time I do a new proyetion or unwraping in my texture it comes welded and I would like to be put on to the uv texture unweld. So after that I can "weld" or "heal" the way I want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unwrap.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	136806

Thank you very much!

Hi,

Try to copy and paste the future island before unwrap (polygons).

Regards.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Hi Salvador, sorry I donīt know what is the "island"

The island is the group of polygons that on uv map are not connected to other polygons.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

One of the things I learned to do recently is to model a character using very distinct surface names for like vest, trousers, shoes, face, hair, etc. I then select each surface group and copy it to its own layer. I then do ABF UV Unwrap for each layer. I copy and paste each UV map back into a master UV map and seem to have much better control over the groups this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    One of the things I learned to do recently is to model a character using very distinct surface names for like vest, trousers, shoes, face, hair, etc. I then select each surface group and copy it to its own layer. I then do ABF UV Unwrap for each layer. I copy and paste each UV map back into a master UV map and seem to have much better control over the groups this way.
    This is something Iīm trying to do but doesnīt work for me. The CopyUV or PasteUV doesnīt work I donīt know why? I do it like you say doing each uv in a diferent layer and gather it in the first layer by doing CopyUV but I donīt have luck, when I do PasteUV nothing happen.

Maybe you have an idea why?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    IIRC, when you make a UV, only the selected polys are added to the map. So, you should be able to do it in phases. I was able to get this (rather useless) UV map by selection only:

Name:	uv.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	136824

However, the 2nd phase reverted the first group back to full UV area, so that had to be done twice.

Now let's see w/ABF: Okay, I got a rather ugly thing, but at least it's not connected. ABF doesn't seem to respect Selection, but I think it DOES respect HIDING. So you can HIDE stuff in phases.

Name:	uv2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	136825
    Not sure how helpful that is, but I really never UV at all.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    IIRC, when you make a UV, only the selected polys are added to the map. So, you should be able to do it in phases. I was able to get this (rather useless) UV map by selection only:

Name:	uv.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	136824

However, the 2nd phase reverted the first group back to full UV area, so that had to be done twice.

Now let's see w/ABF: Okay, I got a rather ugly thing, but at least it's not connected. ABF doesn't seem to respect Selection, but I think it DOES respect HIDING. So you can HIDE stuff in phases.

Name:	uv2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	136825
    Not sure how helpful that is, but I really never UV at all.
    Thank you Jeric but I see you have the same problem as me, when you make for second time the uv to keep unwrapping it in the texture the second proyection comes linked with the vertex from the poligons on the texture.

Iīm afraid Iīm not clear.

Hey, I think this video will help you. It is part of a tutorial series on modeling a dolphin. The part about AFB UV starts at about 36:00min in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqB_xyAkSaM

A good series of videos if you are learning LW. Should solve your problem.

When you paste a UV into another UV map, you have to manually type in the name of the UV map you want to paste into, and the spelling. spacing and upper/lower case must be exactly the same. Very odd workflow but that's how it is.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by tuovni View Post
    Thank you Jeric but I see you have the same problem as me, when you make for second time the uv to keep unwrapping it in the texture the second proyection comes linked with the vertex from the poligons on the texture.

Iīm afraid Iīm not clear.
    Well, if you look at the bigger expanded picture, you'll see it isn't actually linked, unless you are talking about discontinuous points, the red ones. But there's a clear gap in there between the two islands. You can always move them further apart.

For me, the hard part is: the ABF of the complete sphere is very pretty, but once you HIDE the pole polys, it gets a lot uglier.
    +++++++++++
    Tried to recreate my first effort, and it's just too hard. This is not the UV tool you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    When you paste a UV into another UV map, you have to manually type in the name of the UV map you want to paste into, and the spelling. spacing and upper/lower case must be exactly the same. Very odd workflow but that's how it is.
    Yes, it seems like such a simple thing but it took me a few tries to figure this out. But it ends up being a very efficient way to manage UV maps.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    If by "very odd", dj meant "utter crap", yes.

Gosh I haven't UV mapped in LW for ages and it hasn't changed, you'll definitely want to consider downloading the PLG plugins especially if you're going to be packing the UV's and want the polygonal islands to reference the size of the object properly...
    Gary Chike

Yeah PLG UV plugins are the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast