Page 95 of 152 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2279

Thread: Three months, no release, no FB posts since early April, etc.

It works with fiberfx? Is that actually an advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    It works with fiberfx? Is that actually an advantage?

Or 2 point poly chains... weird 'feature', is there any other application that requires it?
    Last edited by Marander; 10-11-2017 at 06:31 AM.

If you're asking does it render FiberFX, the answer is yes: https://docs.otoy.com/Lightwave3DH/L...iberFXhair.htm

I can't spend any where near as much time here as yesterday, but I will try to answer any other questions I can. But help me out Octane bros and sis'.

One thing that receives little mention, hell, anywhere, is how effing incredible Octane renders composite. I nearly fainted the first time I rendered a PNG32 w/ alpha and dragged it into a comp. Never, ever, once, did I get such clean alpha out of a LW render. Even semi-transparent stuff in DOF with the tiniest edge details are retained... It is stunning. So to anyone who does render-comps with photography and/or video; "..you got a big surprise coming to you.." (Jack Torrance)

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post

Or 2 point poly chains... weird feature, is there any other application that requires it?
    Other apps would call that 'junk geometry'. If they even support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    If you're asking does it render FiberFX, the answer is yes: https://docs.otoy.com/Lightwave3DH/L...iberFXhair.htm

I can't spend any where near as much time here as yesterday, but I will try to answer any other questions I can. But help me out Octane bros and sis'.

One thing that receives little mention, hell, anywhere, is how effing incredible Octane renders composite. I nearly fainted the first time I rendered a PNG32 w/ alpha and dragged it into a comp. Never, ever, once, did I get such clean alpha out of a LW render. Even semi-transparent stuff in DOF with the tiniest edge details are retained... It is stunning. So to anyone who does render-comps with photography and/or video; "..you got a big surprise coming to you.." (Jack Torrance)
    Ok, I have a few.

Could you render AO into the alpha channel of a render, multiplied with the std alpha?

Does it do layers psd export/saving of render passes?

Is it possible to cache and/or share nodes across a scene?

Is it possible to mimic the Pixar shader?

https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/REN/PxrSurface

Is it possible to get that Pixar style shading look in materials easily? Such as skin.

Will advanced placement work ok?

How do you find the lights compared to lw? Easy to setup and control?

Is it possible to do simple compositing such as lw can do with definition of a colour that overrides but doesn't obscure the background gradient/image/colour.
    Do those lw features work? Can you overlay a foreground image or viedeo?

Is it possible to copy/paste or save/restore an objects materials. i ask this as I am looking to import animation via fbx and point cache and I may need to update the deformed geo to add more detail. This will destroy materials. This is one thing I know modo can do, with imported geo just needing imported materials deleted and scene materials will be assigned as long as same name. I don't think alembic does this in lw so its fbx and point cache from 3ds max, in this case.

I am actually wondering how others have delt with this issue if animating in Maya and rendering in lw, which I know people did do in the past.
    Looking at this as I don't want to rig and skin in lw. I tried before and it is way too painful compared to max/Maya.

Cheers
    Last edited by gar26lw; 10-11-2017 at 06:57 AM.

I thought that I was negative... until I came to this thread. I mean, cheezus.

Actually, I was just getting ready to expand on compositing.. Your damn jaw will hit the floor when you see what LW Octane can do. Render Layers and Passes just have to be seen. You can do it all bros. It is all there. Everything you need in the composting dept is at your fingertips. Want to punch holes in your render with those eleven objects over there; just set them all as different Render Layer number than the rest of scene, and bang, perfect alpha holes in render. Change the Render Layer number(s) to be rendered, and get the opposite. And this can be set up in under a minute, even on a complex scene. It would take too long to explain all this. You just need to try it.

And with a couple clicks, you can turn ANYTHING into a shadow catcher object, by temporarily making it a Diffuse/Matte surface. The list goes on...

Oh, and just recently we got full control over all visibility of Spec, Diffuse, Shadows, from each light. Crazy sh!t. I haven't even had a chance to thoroughly play with some of these, but it was something I and many others were waiting patiently for quite a while.
    Last edited by Norka; 10-11-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Fiberfx hair has been given attention in LW Next, and we have already heard from juanjgon that Octane works fine with LW Next so far, so it will be interesting to see the implementation and where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Ok, I have a few.

Could you render AO into the alpha channel of a render, multiplied with the std alpha?

Does it do layers psd export/saving of render passes?

Is it possible to cache and/or share nodes across a scene?

Is it possible to mimic the Pixar shader?

https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/REN/PxrSurface

Is it possible to get that Pixar style shading look in materials easily? Such as skin.

Will advanced placement work ok?

How do you find the lights compared to lw? Easy to setup and control?

Is it possible to do simple compositing such as lw can do with definition of a colour that overrides but doesn't obscure the background gradient/image/colour.
    Do those lw features work? Can you overlay a foreground image or viedeo?

Is it possible to copy/paste or save/restore an objects materials. i ask this as I am looking to import animation via fbx and point cache and I may need to update the deformed geo to add more detail. This will destroy materials. This is one thing I know modo can do, with imported geo just needing imported materials deleted and scene materials will be assigned as long as same name. I don't think alembic does this in lw so its fbx and point cache from 3ds max, in this case.

I am actually wondering how others have delt with this issue if animating in Maya and rendering in lw, which I know people did do in the past.
    Looking at this as I don't want to rig and skin in lw. I tried before and it is way too painful compared to max/Maya.

Cheers
    I'm really sorry, but this will take half my day to try and answer these. Please skim through the Octane LW manual, and you will see everything, except maybe those brand new light visibility features and a couple other brand spankin' new features.

Yes, Adv Placement works great with it. I own AP and UP. All good.

https://docs.otoy.com/Lightwave3DH/L...uginManual.htm

Once you see what all Octane provides, you'll start to understand why LW Octane users like myself have not been sweating as much over LWN.. When you are in full LW Octane mode, LW really becomes like a big transform gizmo for Octane. Yes, I want, er, desperately need LW to be able to handle very complex scenes better with the new optimizations that are coming, but aside from that, I am pumpin' the jam with LW Octane and banging out incredible stuff, while non-LW Octane folk are crying in their beer...
    Last edited by Norka; 10-11-2017 at 07:34 AM.

I agree, render passes in Octane are really a beautiful thing. On top of that, Octane can also do deep pixel renders for serious professionals.. LW Next should just do the "Unity" and integrate Octane as native renderer to LW. Hell, all of the 3d softwares should do the same. It really doesn't matter where the source files animations etc. comes from if they are all rendered in Octane anyway. You could have a studio, where one works with LW, one with Maya, one with c4d.. and then just render the stuff in Octane.

Let Jules Urbach conquer and rule the world. Juanjo as his second in command.

World would be a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Fiberfx hair has been given attention in LW Next, and we have already heard from juanjgon that Octane works fine with LW Next so far, so it will be interesting to see the implementation and where it goes.
    Well theyve changed to a rendering primitive and added a hair shader. Which is exactly what Modo has and its not the greatest hair system out there so i would be cautious about how jazzed i was about it. That said, it is certainly a step up from what we have now. But hey, id love to be wrong about this.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikSkoglund View Post
    I thought that I was negative... until I came to this thread. I mean, cheezus.
    if all fails, there is the "ignore" function.
    3 users added, had no choice really.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Here's a thought ... if LW "Next" NEVER appears, then we still have this "wonderful" forum. :+)

Norka,
    Thank you for all the detailed information. This was a huge help for me. I now remember that nodes were what scared me off but I think it will be worth it to dive in.

Octane supports tons of different software!! This is big for me because I only know Lightwave and as many people fear it may stop and that scared me a little. Knowing that octane supports a lot of other software is really cool.

Thank you again for all the information provided. I am excited to try it out. Sadly I cannot afford a license at the moment because my business is making a math game that is eating all our funds but when I can afford it I am definitely going to check this out.

And again..... Thank you. Your time was incredibly helpful.

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Norka,
    Thank you for all the detailed information. This was a huge help for me. I now remember that nodes were what scared me off but I think it will be worth it to dive in.

Octane supports tons of different software!! This is big for me because I only know Lightwave and as many people fear it may stop and that scared me a little. Knowing that octane supports a lot of other software is really cool.

Thank you again for all the information provided. I am excited to try it out. Sadly I cannot afford a license at the moment because my business is making a math game that is eating all our funds but when I can afford it I am definitely going to check this out.

And again..... Thank you. Your time was incredibly helpful.
    Be careful ! I'snt the paradise ! 6 Titan X 12Go here to have a professional solution (fixe and animation). And for lighting diffuse interior, no secret, Octane need time and help with external denoising. Soon internal denoising !
    At this time, i use Max / Corona for interior render ! Better solution with denoising !

Page 95 of 152 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast