Page 138 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2279

Thread: Three months, no release, no FB posts since early April, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    The function that resides within the texture falloff tool may be procedural and not, but the tool itself has nothing to do with a name called procedurall falloff go look for the tool and you won´t find it.
    And as said, the true name is textured falloff, where both a procedural and non procedural texture can be used..there is that distinction to when talking about what is procedrual and what is not.
    Yes, I agree, that's why I said what I said. The term "procedural falloff", as used above, refers to a distinction that isn't really useful/meaningful.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    I'd say it's not that they need (more experienced) (engineers) but that they need (more) (experienced engineers).

LW 9.6 was quite competitive, considering the price and that they were catching back up after the issues with LW8. But then they lost 3 years with Core and catching up again after losing 3 years is a massive amount of work, and LW has a small team.
    I'd say it's rather clear they need (more) (experienced engineers), but even more so, desperately need (more experienced) engineering management.

Problem is, LW3DG doesn't seem to be putting effort towards hiring, and seem quite content with the way things are now. That suggests problems even higher up in the management chain, and adding new engineers and engineering mgmt won't help unless they're allowed to make the needed changes.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-05-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    John W.

I think that the LW team got a bit ambitious for this release and started a number of very cool features. They gave us (the users) what we wanted and made announcements for these features. Now they are finding the features are trickier than they thought to work the bugs out of but are kind of painted into a corner because they already announced them so they feel like the "have" to deliver them.

So, rather than having a new release, say a year ago, with one or two new features, we are stuck waiting for everything to be ready for delivery. And, if you have waited this long, better off not releasing something that you know isn't going to work until the point release patch.

As for access to money, I don't know. How much money do you think Newtek is going to throw at this division? What do you think are their annual sales? How many people do you think are buying "2015" software in 2016 or 2017? I'm sure it is hard enough to sell seats when AD has nearly monopolized the education market (at least here in the US). Most end users are going to buy what they know or at least "what everyone uses".

This has been the case for years. Even back when Maya was nearly $5K, my bosses told me, "We're going to buy Maya!" And my reply was, "Great!, who's going to use it? And isn't five grand a bit steep for spinney logos? Because that is all we do." So they spent the money on hardware instead.

Anyway, personal experience aside, if we want to keep using LW then we wait. If we are tired of waiting we move on. I think making the existing user base wait is probably fairly detrimental to the overall health of the LW user base. I think existing users are more likely to upgrade rather than sell new seats at this point. But that is probably a fraction of the income they are hoping for.

new engineers and engineering mgmt won't help unless they're allowed to make the needed changes.
    it seems they are allowed. however they are forced to (understandingly) focus at Layout part-rewrite.

if the road before was long and winding? yes, almost like a loop-road.

LightWave Next v2 is the real deal that will show what direction LWG have chosen. (i'll assume)

conclusion > someday someone will know something about the new LightWave direction.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-05-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Cool

LightWave Next v2 is the real deal that will show what direction LWG have chosen. (i'll assume)
    Predicted to hit the online stores in 2025, just imagine how advanced most of software/renderers will be in 10 yrs time...and they'll be showing direction of development.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    I think that the LW team got a bit ambitious for this release and started a number of very cool features. They gave us (the users) what we wanted and made announcements for these features. Now they are finding the features are trickier than they thought to work the bugs out of but are kind of painted into a corner because they already announced them so they feel like the "have" to deliver them.
    well all the stuff that has been shown is already implemented and being used in production, as stated earlier in the thread, the delay is now them adding and polishing more features that we don't know about, although they are being overly silent, they are taking a very cautious road of not making any promises they cant deliver,

i tell a lie, they did promise better communication, but that didn't happen
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

e-on just released a Vue 2016 R3 Hotfix..............just a little something else to do while we wait for LWNext.
    Don't be a dink get some ink

or... install Houdini Apprentice  

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

True dat.
    Don't be a dink get some ink

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    install AND learn !

installed   ;]

...and learning  :]
    Last edited by erikals; 11-05-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    well all the stuff that has been shown is already implemented and being used in production, as stated earlier in the thread, the delay is now them adding and polishing more features that we don't know about, although they are being overly silent, they are taking a very cautious road of not making any promises they cant deliver
    Please show where it was said "all the stuff that has been shown is already implemented and being used in production"? I've seen nobody from LW3DG (or testers) state or imply anything of the sort. I've seen testers make statements of specific discussed features being used in production, but that's nowhere near the same as "all the stuff that's been shown".

I've also seen no statements from LW3DG (or testers) that the "additional time" is being spent on new/as-yet-unannounced features -- if you have, as your statement implies, please provide a citation for that as well.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-06-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    John W.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Please show where it was said "all the stuff that has been shown is already implemented and being used in production"? I've seen nobody from LW3DG (or testers) state or imply anything of the sort. I've seen testers make statements of specific discussed features being used in production, but that's nowhere near the same as "all the stuff that's been shown".

I've also seen no statements from LW3DG (or testers) that the "additional time" is being spent on new/as-yet-unannounced features -- if you have, as your statement implies, please provide a citation for that as well.
    yeah that's called wishful thinking mode.

Although Houdini sounds very intriguing the fact that it would cost about 4400 euros + at least six months of learning to be fluent with it.. I am all in in wishful thinking with LW. I don't have the time or funds to make the shift to Houdini..

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post

it was stated in the blogs that the features being shown were features that were all ready implemented, there was then the statement earlier by Mr cross, in this thread i think "so have focused on continuing to make this the best Lightwave" which kind of implies they are doing more work, maybe not new stuff, but making what is there better, but that also implies the stuff there already works.
    and darkside studios already showed production work of the new render engine, voxels, for shows on the discovery channel (they already have done an entire season with it stated in the video of the Nottingham show and that was back before summer and as i think that season of the show has already gone out they would have had to been working on it early in the year, meaning there could be almost another year of development since that)
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Page 138 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast