Page 124 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2279

Thread: Three months, no release, no FB posts since early April, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I thought the same thing a couple of weeks ago and started to learn Blender more serious and all I can say is WOW, why didn't I do this earlier. Blender is freaking awesome it feels like it have everything LW has and more and with much faster and nicer workflows. And it works really good as a companion to LW modeler as well if you use OD_copy_paste_external, send the model to blender for UV mapping and then back to LW for example. The node editor is so much nicer then LW and also have a global node editor so you don't have to go to five different node editors to setup your scene.
    I'm tired of waiting and this forum is so sad and boring and the blender side feels so active, alive and happy which also makes me more happy, so win win.
    I start to feel that 20 years of waiting for Lw to catch up is over for me.
    If you like your nodes, try the Animation Nodes addon. Loads of fun.

https://github.com/JacquesLucke/animation_nodes

Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

LightWave will never catch up. not in your's and mine lifetime. Seriously. we are too old, and no, i'm not kidding.
    so, unless you like some of the LW workflow, there is no reason to stay.
    I like a lot of things about LW, but I start to feel that I maybe like it of old habit instead of it being very practical or good. Still think that surfacing in the node editor is very nice in LW, especially the procedural textures. I will use both for some time and try to use the best tool for the job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    If you like your nodes, try the Animation Nodes addon. Loads of fun.

https://github.com/JacquesLucke/animation_nodes

That’s already installed. Makes LW nodes feel like the stoneage.

oh! for much Motion Graphics you'll have a hard time in LightWave for sure, that's no secret, never was.

Blender Animation Nodes addon = nice!
    (looking at it again, 90% of those techniques are quite straight forward in LW though)

for some modeling stuff LightWave is just much faster.
    and some CA stuff in LightWave is really nice.
    +LWcad +Advanced Placement +Octane implementation +RHiggit  (yep, those are plugins)

however, don't wait for Motion Graphics to catch up in LightWave. it won't.
    unless a 3rd party plugin developer somehow feels like giving it tons of dedication.
    Last edited by erikals; 10-31-2017 at 03:14 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

For example? (I am genuinely curious - just wondering)

*edit* Oh, wait, LWcad comes to mind.
    Last edited by Rayek; 10-31-2017 at 03:13 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

simple gizmo-less modeling.
    if you go beyond that, the speed advantage falls through the floor quite fast.

oh! for much Motion Graphics you'll have a hard time in LightWave for sure, that's no secret, never was.

Blender Animation Nodes addon = nice!
    (looking at it again, 90% of those techniques are quite straight forward in LW though)

and some CA stuff in LightWave is really nice.
    +LWcad +Advanced Placement +Octane implementation +RHiggit  (yep, those are plugins)

however, don't wait for Motion Graphics to catch up in LightWave. it won't.
    unless a 3rd party plugin developer somehow feels like giving it tons of dedication.
    I don't do motion graphics. I mostly do product visualization and animation, but I use nodes a lot to setup animation relationships and such and when I did this in Blender last week as I needed to animate some text values(not fun i LW) follow an object motion, it was fast easy and worked great. And I did it for three different objects in the same node editor space, no need to jump around to different node editors.

I think this is the best think to do. Blender is the best replacement for lightwave without spending a bunch of money. Modo is in the same boat of lightwave. cinema 4d is much more expensive.
    And what are we waiting from next? the "new" renderer? octane integrated in it? modifier stack?render buffer???? then what? this is the begining of a new era? if you are living in a planet where the only 3d software is lightwave, this can be the begin. But not here, where all the other software have all the lightwave next "new" features and are developping modern tools like real time rendering, ecc......

I continu to use lightwave because lw continu to be a good software and I need much time to learn better another soft, in this case blender.

I don't wait anymore lw next. I will see what is has to offer, if released and if released before 2045, but I doubt about the wow effect.......But maybe, I am totaly wrong

Isn't blender almost gizmo free as well? you don't even have to select first then move, just click and drag. The best thing is that you can in the middle of moving things just constrain it to an axis with out starting over. Not possible in LW.

But as I said earlier I think they work quite good together, so I take the best of both...even though LW feels like it have less best right now.

Blender does a very good job at simple gizmo-less modeling too - one of the reasons why I liked it so much when I first encountered Blender.

don't even have to select first then move, just click and drag.
    can it select points, then move/lock points on an axis using a shortcut key without gizmo? i wish it did.
    someone here is going to say "i don't mind the gizmo", that's good, but there is a reason why many apps lately did add gizmo-less tools.

gizmos can be great, and they can be #$%@

The best thing is that you can in the middle of moving things just constrain it to an axis with out starting over. Not possible in LW.
    neat   so, yep, like many say, modeling improvements in LW has a looong way to go.  [erik walks over to the corner, crying]

i think i would help somewhat if LW marketing.... wait... what LightWave marketing?!... November tomorrow  :/
    Last edited by erikals; 10-31-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Uhm... Yes? turn off gizmo, select points, move points, and use z/x/y or shift z/x/y to constrain. Type a number for precise steps.

Am I missing something?

Gizmo free modeling is also possible in other applications but you have the option / freedom of choice to enable / disable the gizmo. Unlike in LW where some tools have a gizmo (transform) and others not (that even do the same thing like move/rotate/scale). LW is just a big outdated mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Uhm... Yes? turn off gizmo, select points, move points, and use z/x/y or shift z/x/y to constrain. Type a number for precise steps.

Am I missing something?
    ...i actually think i am this time.

Gizmo free modeling is also possible in other applications but you have the option / freedom of choice to enable / disable the gizmo.
    from what i recall it was quite clumsy having to turn it on/off. that might have changed.

can i do this in Blender?

Granted, it's a bit obscure to figure out initially in Blender, but it is one of my favourite workflows. Very quick and direct. With a base set of other shortcuts (for example: extruding, beveling, inset, ctrl-f/e/v and w) it becomes easy to model in full-screen mode without any tools in sight. At one of the colleges I teach I once was having fun modeling simple things this way, and students came up to me wondering what app I was using and how it was possible to work that fast.

Really, once you get a bit familiarized with Blender's modeling short-cuts, it's easy to break the sound barrier in regards to modeling stuff.

Page 124 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast