Page 55 of 152 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Three months, no release, no FB posts since early April, etc.

Yeah right lol.
    He's PON/MIA

Well, I've been using/learning LightMod... sorry, Modo, in case this takes too long.

Hope they do have something tho, as I´m one of the last to arrive to the LW boat and I like it a lot now.

At this point, I'm better not even acknowledging LW Next is in the works in the first place, even though it is, but better think of it as it is not, yet it is,... if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    when LightWave 2018 is out, all will be forgiven.

No way anybody at Newtek believes that. Even some of the devs posts seem to indicate that they know the lack of communication is BS and they just want people to know that they're not part of the decision to do that. Its management or marketing.

The only thing that Newtek can do is take the losses now and hope that in 3-5 years, if Lightwave proves modern enough and still alive that time, people will come back. I'm pretty sure by this time some people have moved on and not going to upgrade to LW NEXT and will wait it out for 2-3 years what lightwave will be after LW NEXT. That's the case for me and the companies I know.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    No way anybody at Newtek believes that. Even some of the devs posts seem to indicate that they know the lack of communication is BS and they just want people to know that they're not part of the decision to do that. Its management or marketing.

The only thing that Newtek can do is take the losses now and hope that in 3-5 years, if Lightwave proves modern enough and still alive that time, people will come back. I'm pretty sure by this time some people have moved on and not going to upgrade to LW NEXT and will wait it out for 2-3 years what lightwave will be after LW NEXT. That's the case for me and the companies I know.
    but there are lots of people who use lightwave and don't even know there is going to be an upgrade so why would they all leave, its only the people that are here and have seen the blog that know its happening (about 10 of us I think! and half of them don't even use lightwave!), why would it take 3 to 5 years for people to come back, if they left and then in 6 months they released something worth the wait and people wanted it they would come back then, as stated by many users they use multiple apps, many studios use lightwave in the background for pipeline purposes so they would likely upgrade just because its there and they don't want to risk problems with asset compatibility, and to them it would be cheap as they waited so long since the last update,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

I think we can reserve judgment until release. The vast majority of prospective customers don't care if LW Group decided to go dark to develop Next...especially if it is clear they took the time and money required to get it right. There may even be a few features that were kept hidden for competitive reasons. People will make their purchasing decision based on the price and the initial reviews.

If Next is competitive then it will be much easier for Rob to market and sell seats. Consider it a fresh start for LW Group and the community.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    but there are lots of people who use lightwave and don't even know there is going to be an upgrade
    I don't know about you but I've seen a serious drop in lw use in japan. Surprisingly c4d is taking its place.
    So I'm seeing 80% AD, 10% C4d, 5% Modo, 5% Lightwave for the typical 10-15 medium staffed studios.

With companies like Polygon Pictures, etc using maya for 3d celshaded anime, Lightwave is becoming obsolete where it was considered useful in production for many companies.

well, we can always...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I don't know about you but I've seen a serious drop in lw use in japan. Surprisingly c4d is taking its place.
    I would think it's because of the very nice toon and sketch engine in C4D, this is one of the best when it comes to toon/cel shading style rendering, let you you do almost anything with edges (as long as you have the time to wait for the final render )
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

Quote Originally Posted by magiclight View Post
    I would think it's because of the very nice toon and sketch engine in C4D, this is one of the best when it comes to toon/cel shading style rendering, let you you do almost anything with edges (as long as you have the time to wait for the final render )
    c4d market share increase just because maxon plug a lite version into after effect.and AE can directly import and render c4D scene.
    means all AE user should learn c4D,because its a part of AE.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    So I'm seeing 80% AD, 10% C4d, 5% Modo, 5% Lightwave for the typical 10-15 medium staffed studios.

With companies like Polygon Pictures, etc using maya for 3d celshaded anime, Lightwave is becoming obsolete where it was considered useful in production for many companies.
    I am sure that Newtek is aiming for the Hash Animation Market marketshare....After all they are still around and they need a competitor in the ultra niche market.

But be careful NT I hear that the next release of hash will be able to go toe to toe with Houdini. Www.hash.com. ��
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 08-28-2017 at 05:43 AM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by magiclight View Post
    Huh. JUST used S&T for the first time in C4d: like LW's Edge Renders, it was definitely not perfect in the usual manner-- skipping lines, but in no particular pattern, so tough to debug. This was on a dead simple model too. >8^\

It's good, it's just not a total breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    But be careful NT I hear that the next release of hash will be able to go toe to toe with Houdini. Www.hash.com. ��
    Wow, still alive??? Impressive really, I mean, it's gotta be like 2 people, and a couple hundred users.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 08-28-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Wow, still alive??? Impressive really, I mean, it's gotta be like 2 people, and a couple hundred users.
    Robero is right then, sounds alot like LW3DG.

Hash A:M, Silo, Worldmachine and LW seem to suffer from the same business strategy.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Hash A:M, Silo, Worldmachine and LW seem to suffer from the same business strategy.
    Well, you know, it turns out business is hard. Think about the perfectly competent VFX production houses that got taken to the cleaners and shut down by film producers-- they should have known how to run their businesses (and write contracts), but obviously, they did not.

I was serious that I was impressed by Hash (btw, single worst manual I've ever seen, or was that "Silver"???...) that they've managed to continue for so long, and at a $299 price point. That's a teensy bit above casual purchase (although not much), but they're still out there selling. They're probably not driving Ferraris, but they're still in business. It's a true accomplishment.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

The difference is Newtek is exploding in terms of Tricaster tech and they have the will and resources to invest in Lightwave. They are a private company and can do what they please.

Page 55 of 152 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast