Page 134 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2279

Thread: Three months, no release, no FB posts since early April, etc.

i hate to say this, but if you are just starting out doing 3D, you should heavily consider Blender.

LightWave has so much catch-up to do
    (no lattice, no sculpting, Motion Graphics issues, no weightpaint in Layout, tons of Modeler lacks, Modeler / Layout split issues... and so on)

it is difficult to recommend LightWave to a 3D generalist. so, do some background research before you go with LW.

for the ones of us that have been using LightWave for 20 years, it is less of a question.
    either because we are aware of the limitations and can deal with them,
    or, it is too late for us to switch. (we are simply too old)

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i hate to say this, but if you are just starting out doing 3D, you should heavily consider Blender.
    I would say if you re a hobbyist, unless your working towards a job in a LW centric house, you'd be daft not to use Blender, getting up and running with zero outlay would be a given.
    Again though, if you're LW mad and have the money, fine, buy it, but if you are on a budget / no budget, well, gone are the days where you had to rely on notepad and povray!
    Too old to die young.

they are still busy working on it, nothing new there.
    many Full version releases took 3 years.
    all NT has to do is work on their communication skills.

This has been discussed ad nauseam though. No full version has taken this long without there being point releases, maintenance fixes, or.... a whole other application being built in the background (CORE). Rob stated to us before that he would show no feature before they were ready. He showed us the features in the blog months and months ago.

unless your working towards a job in a LW centric house
    these basically don't exist any more, it must be like 1 or 2 of them.

even from a professional point of view it would mostly be smarter to go with Blender if you are a Freelancer.

Yawn...

No full version has taken this long without there being point releases, maintenance fixes
    true, however this is a part-rewrite < and that makes it different.

yep, 7 months since the last blog post...

Perhaps they are producing nothing, and are hard at work doing nothing to produce nothing.
    Would explain why they are too busy to post any news. A whole lot of nothing must require considerable effort. Yawn... :P
    NT is famous for its LightWave-Development-Silent-Mode... perhaps not in a good way.

with an application falling behind at the speed of Light (pun) you really are to question that strategy.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-04-2017 at 07:54 AM.

using lw without 3rdpower tools should be a crime. lattice .. weightmapping...lwbrush.. damn there.. you got covered. )

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    using lw without 3rdpower tools should be a crime. lattice .. weightmapping...lwbrush.. damn there.. you got covered. )
    Even with all these plugins you can still only do a part of what you can in other 3d packages out-of-the box. (and I'm not talking of specialized apps like ZB here).

3rd Powers are good plugins but not very comprehensive in functionality. For example LWBrush cannot be considered as a sculpting solution, there a no brush detail settings, no sculpting layers with different resolution levels, no baking, no vertex painting, not suitable for high poly objects etc etc.

3rd Powers Lattice, Boolean, Heatshrink+, all not really great compared to other apps base functionality. MetaMesh is the only real innovative one for me.
    Last edited by Marander; 11-04-2017 at 08:13 AM.

without DPont / 3rdPowers / LWcad there wouldn't be a LightWave.

Even with all these plugins you can still only do a part of what you can in other 3d packages out-of-the box.
    true

Some very valid points being made by marander, jwiede and Sami.

If and a big if LW3DG have a huge secret paradigm shift of a release in LW Next, I'll eat my words and say well done.

However good it MAY turn out, the damage is done already and I as well as others will have already moved on to other software. That is and was an unnecessary way to deal with your customers, regardless of how confident you may be with the next release. Why am I still on here? I and others are desperately wasting our efforts to make you see the folly in your silent treatment as lovers of YOUR software, we are fools. You fooled some once, can't expect people to say ok we are cool now again.

I just watched in it's entireity the Houdini 16.5 launch event and I think you guys should too.

Rob said we won't release anything until it is ready to be released. SideFX release ANYTHING that they feel customers will leverage any use from, even if it is still in it's infancy and refine it based on customer feedback, get it? They listen and work with their customers. They are not afraid to completely rewrite anything which has served it's purpose, VEX being the real gel behind some of these newer tool sets.

I've always like honesty and transparency in everything. SideFX demo and showcase tools way before they are released to instill a sense of a roadmap and user inclusiveness, something to grab hold of and join in on the journey.

What is it about LW Next that you have to hide? I say your silent treatment didn't work. I wouldn't have cared one bit if you had demo'd something which had some amazing promise but had issues to iron out, maybe was bare bones like Chronosculpt was, but you could see the potential so you bought in.

We are giving feedback, not trolling, but you don't seem to listen. I've said numerous times LW was one of the most easiest programs to play around with when I started due to it's text based UI, self descriptive in a way.

Anyways, procedural is the way forward, even if LW Next blows geo levels out of the water, because I highly doubt it could ever be as smart a program as Houdini is, ever. Will it's geo performance be staggering, I doubt it. The LW demo on performance featured a huge godzilla type lizard that was moving very slow and cumbersome in the viewport. The demo really didn't show me much other than maybe a small increase in performance. If I saw Lino animating in the viewport with a normal or displacement map applied to that massive Godzilla with huge geo and it's was deforming like an old tom and jerry cartoon , whizzing all over the place then I would have picked my jaw off the desk, but I didn't.

Cheers.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    Dear, please tell me, where is the Soft Selection tool in LW, with the function as in the picture below?

Attachment 138448
    Either just plain, procedural falloff, or "falloff" via Weight Map.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

LightWave has so much catch-up to do
    (no lattice, no sculpting, Motion Graphics issues, no weightpaint in Layout, tons of Modeler lacks, Modeler / Layout split issues... and so on)

it is difficult to recommend LightWave to a 3D generalist. so, do some background research before you go with LW.

for the ones of us that have been using LightWave for 20 years, it is less of a question.
    either because we are aware of the limitations and can deal with them,
    or, it is too late for us to switch. (we are simply too old)

Actually, wouldn't Maya be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Exclaim View Post
    Lots of options but nothing can beat Blenders price tag.

I would prefer C4D Broadcast / Studio and Houdini due to the licencing system and high rental cost of Maya and Max. But all of these are great applications.

Houdini Indie has the best feature / price ratio in my opinion.

Edit: all comes down to what your aim and budget is. For modelling I would also consider modo of course (but the online activation spoils it for me).
    Last edited by Marander; 11-04-2017 at 08:58 AM.

not necessarily i think. certainly an option though.
    you might also have to add Cost and Subscription factors.

Maya/Max/Blender/C4D/Modo/Houdini are all good candidates depending on what you want, where you want to go.

not necessarily i think. certainly an option though.
    you might also have to add Cost and Subscription factors.

Maya/Max/Blender/C4D/Modo/Houdini are all good candidates depending on what you want, where you want to go.
    Well if you are considering cost, isn't LW still viable?

Page 134 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast