Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: c4d

Quote Originally Posted by THIBAULT View Post
    It is interesting to note that Lwcad is available on C4D and is very stable and intuitive
    Hmm not so for me. LWCAD Lite is the most unstable plugin I have in C4D - no I have to say that (maybe except Vray in rare occations), it's the ONLY plugin that crashes C4D. It requires online activation on the node I want to use, what I wouldn't expect from LWCAD. And I didn't really see much benefit of it in C4D except for windows, doors, roofs and shingles (I also have NitroRoom which can easily create walls and so on). I don't know why I would need UCS or different primitives, this is a sickness coming from LW, having multiple objects, tools and workflows with the same purpose. Converting an LWCAD object into editable mesh mostly crashes C4D for example, but it's still beta anyway. But with what I have seen so far, I cannot recommend it.
    Last edited by Marander; 05-13-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Cons
    Overpriced, middle of the pack performance, weak toolset besides mograph, low usage in non-western countries.

Pros,
    Very stable, mograph for dummies, good selection of plugins.

My two cents. I wouldn't pick this over maya or max. Use it only if you find jobs that require it. I seldom did and dropped it at R10.
    For freelance modo and lightwave are still bang for the buck especially since both have much better capabilities to render beautiful work out of the box.
    But blender is there as an option for starving artists so...

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yes I do have them both, license for TFD for C4D and LW.

However the one on LW doesn't work at the moment (with the latest versions), it crashes when opening any dialog box. I tried already several things to fix this but no success so far.

The big difference is that I can use TFD to drive X-Particles simulation, particle advection and it looks nicer in the viewport.

What would you like to know?
    How is the preview window working in cinema4d VS lightwave vpr? as I understand i...TFD has itīs own dedicated previewer, where you have to rely on VPR only in lightwave, is it easier to start preview and play it back etc?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    How is the preview window working in cinema4d VS lightwave vpr? as I understand i...TFD has itīs own dedicated previewer, where you have to rely on VPR only in lightwave, is it easier to start preview and play it back etc?
    Here's some screenshots of a simple setup. Playback with the TFD OpenGL viewport shaders is working fine, for render preview I use the C4D interactive render region and the TFD preview window. In OpenGL you can enable the Channels you want for preview (Fire, Burn, Temperature, Density etc.) with the Fire, Smoke or Temperature shader (works very well in realtime). For working with TFD I switch to my TDF Layout where the simulation windows, TFD preview etc. is docked.

LW TFD doesn't work for me at the moment (on several machines), it crashes with opening any dialog box in the newer versions. Maybe somebody knows a workaround? I already adjusted access rights, ran as admin, moved it to a different folder etc. but I don't really need it anyway at the moment.

Attachment 136792

Attachment 136793

Attachment 136794

Attachment 136795

Attachment 136796
    Last edited by Marander; 05-14-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Here's some screenshots of a simple setup. Playback with the TFD OpenGL viewport shaders is working fine, for render preview I use the C4D interactive render region and the TFD preview window. In OpenGL you can enable the Channels you want for preview (Fire, Burn, Temperature, Density etc.) with the Fire, Smoke or Temperature shader (works very well in realtime). For working with TFD I switch to my TDF Layout where the simulation windows, TFD preview etc. is docked.

LW TFD doesn't work for me at the moment (on several machines), it crashes with opening any dialog box in the newer versions. Maybe somebody knows a workaround? I already adjusted access rights, ran as admin, moved it to a different folder etc. but I don't really need it anyway at the moment.

Attachment 136792

Attachment 136793

Attachment 136794

Attachment 136795

Attachment 136796
    Thanks for the info

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Speaking C4D ...
    https://vimeo.com/217631411

Ghost in the Shell, Star Wars, Marvel, ...

Quote Originally Posted by THIBAULT View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the share!

Also this (Ghost in the Shell done in C4D):

https://vimeo.com/211519393

Marvel HUD effects (Avengers, Batman vs Superman, Iron Man etc.) are also with C4D by Perception (tutorials in Cineversity), Star Wars, Marsian HUDs etc.

C4D is weird, it has a lot of things that are top notch and suddenly you run into things that are the worst piece of rubbish on the planet, the OBJ import is garbage, it can't even load an image map if the path is relative (it is in almost all OBJ files). (as usual you get told to buy a plugin if you want to import OBJ's)

Materials are nasty if you need multiples materials on a single mesh, you have a selection set and a material and if you want to add some polygons to a selection set it's a bit messy to update, much much easier in LW and keeping track of what material belongs to what selection set can make you loose all hair very fast (if you have any).

You can't for example import and OBJ and fix all the materials so they look nice and then have the OBJ imported again (changed pose or whatever) and reapply the materials in an easy way like you can with Save/Load library in LW.

Just like LW it keep all morphs in memory so if a character has many morphs it will eat memory like crazy.

All the renderers are slooooooooow, it's almost impossible to use any form of area light, you have to use shadow maps to get any realistic render times.

Pricey, morphs are only available in the most expensive ($3500) version, the cheaper ones are useless.

Did I say that the renderer is sloooooow (all of them).

The "object view" where you have all the objects is a terrible mess with all the modifiers (tags) taking up a ton of space and you have to put the mouse on top of each symbol to know what it is, a bit annoying.

No good way to save poses built in, you need to buy a $25 plugin to do any kind of good pose saving.

All rigs require weight maps, you can't use any bones without weight maps

It's almost impossible to copy things from one scene to another, just simple meshes will work with copy/paste most other things don't work, trying to copy key frames from a character in one scene to a copy of the same character in another scene is a disaster.

You can merge one scene to another but you cannot select what to load from the scene like with "Load Items from scene" in LW, it's all or nothing

To use one object in multiple scenes you need to create XRef's they work fine and are cool but eat memory like crazy.

The "micro polygon displacement" is not far away from useless, it's a silly subdivision thingy that turns the mesh into a gazzilion of triangles that crash because you run out of memory, no good control over size of polygons or anything.

With all that said, it's stable and nice and I like many things with it, it's just way to pricey for what it does.

It has an amazing NPR renderer, the edges are stunning you can control everything and do almost anything you can imagine with it, it's just very very slow to render many times.

The "manual" is terrible, no PDF file you have to browse through the help system so no easy way to print it either (the help system is good though).

The FBX importer works very well

It has many nice rigging tools, setting up an IK chain with a goal takes a few seconds, it also got a "center bone in mesh" tools that is very nice, (create a lower arm bone and just click on the lower arm pretty much to get it at the correct place).

Large meshes slow down the viewport a lot, LW Layout handles this much better, especially if you have many objects in C4D, it can get very slow.
    Last edited by magiclight; 05-17-2017 at 02:41 AM.
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

magic light, which version are you using? Many of the things you cited work fine here in C4D Studio R18 (and R17)...

The "object view" where you have all the objects is a terrible mess with all the modifiers (tags) taking up a ton of space and you have to put the mouse on top of each symbol to know what it is, a bit annoying.
    You can always switch to "vertical tag" view and filter the tags. Likewise, you can filter what objects are shown by layer, by regex, manually, whatever, such that only what you explicitly want is visible.

No good way to save poses built in, you need to buy a $25 plugin to do any kind of good pose saving.
    The Posemorph tag works just fine for saving poses of object hierarchies (incl. rigs), as well as point-level deformation, just depends on tag settings.

To use one object in multiple scenes you need to create XRef's they work fine and are cool but eat memory like crazy.
    They use less memory than loading the object itself, not clear what more you reasonably expected from that functionality.

You can merge one scene to another but you cannot select what to load from the scene like with "Load Items from scene" in LW, it's all or nothing
    Sure you can, the workflow is just different from LW's. Select the objects to use from one scene, and in ObjMgr choose "File->Save Selected as..." then use (or merge) from there. Since C4D can have multiple scenes open, though, directly copying from one scene and pasting into another is usually more efficient.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12