Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Kryslin's lScripts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Can LScripts be converted to a .p? And if so would they continue to work once LScript is gone?
    No, there's no available lscript->binary-plugin "lscript true compiler" (btw, .p is just for Windows, .plugin is the extension on Mac). If it were possible somehow, then yes, it could hypothetically allow them to work once lscript was gone, as they'd essentially be C plugins after compilation, but there's no such tool directly available.

BTW, for clarification, all the existing "lscript compiler" does is tokenize the lscript into bytecode but .lsc files are still lscript-interpreted plugins. It doesn't compile lscript down to native binary code as would be needed to escape lscript deprecation.

As I pointed out in this post, LW's Python environment still has serious issues as well, and those should have been fixed/addressed before lscript deprecation was even discussed.

They're really shooting both feet off at the knees this time.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

deprecation
    again, if the deprecation is slow enough (years) it should be alright, as far as i understand.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Not sure if you guys caught this. https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2019/07...pment-horizon/
    Looks like they have a plan!

Yes, I saw that.

Huh. Just had a stupid idea... an lScript interpreter in Python.

I need to get back to work now...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Not sure if you guys caught this. https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2019/07...pment-horizon/
    Looks like they have a plan!
    "always have a roadmap"

"In a cluttered and disorganized tool cabinet in my garage lies a drill. It’s an AC-powered drill I acquired way back in my youth, a rock-solid, all-metal beast the likes of which are not seen in this day of plastic and cheapness (Lightwave). The fact that it is a tool that I’ve kept with me for nearly 40 years would alone give it sufficient sentimental value. However, it went through a tremendous and traumatic flood that occurred when a levee broke and unleashed the Yuba River on a small agricultural city in Northern California back in the mid-1980s (Core). It came through and out the other side a little worse for wear (just as I did), and while it has continued to function to this day, I rely on it only in rare situations, favoring the more convenient and modern versions of its family (Blender). In a word, my good and reliable friend has been deprecated."

"Which brings me to another good and reliable friend: LScript."

"the LScript system will be removed from LightWave in a later, to-be-determined release."
    completely breaking workflow for end users who have relied on tools not updated in 20 years due to lack of modeller development. Am I wrong? Correct me.

Sure, deprecate it but at least fix bugs and DON'T remove it , not until you fix all the holes plugged by 3rd party L-scripts.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 05-30-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Normally, Gar26lw, I wouldn't agree with your opinion on matters.

In this case, I find myself agreeing with you. I'll be working on converting some of my tools over the coming weeks.
    Ones Written in Python:
    -Delete Style Maps (in modeler)
    Ones already converted:
    -Select Curve End Point
    -Select Curve Start Point
    -Weld Pairs
    -Weld Average Pairs

Ones that have some work done on them:
    -Extrude Spline (modeler)
    -Symmetric Weight Assignment (Layout)

Ones I'm dreading working on, due to shoddy UI documentation (that's been bug reported back in 2019, Reminded them 2 days ago):
    -Build Null
    -Style Comb (modeler)(I'll probably use the combing algorithm from 1.14, with 2.01's enhancements)
    (Yes, I can use a 3rd party solution to generate the UI code; However, the one in OD tools generates erroneous code for the multilist control. Kanuso's works pretty well, it takes some getting used to, though.)

Ones to be started on:
    -Fuse Poly Pairs
    -Quadify Poles
    -Flatten Points
    -Spherize Points
    -FiberFX Estimator
    -Make Hex Grid
    -Boolean Cut
    -Expand Control Point Selection
    -Contract Control Point Selection
    -Make Hair
    -Straighten Curve(s)
    -Smooth Curve(s)
    -Trim Curve(s)

And that's not including a couple hundred private small tools built for very specific purposes, most of which are fire & forget modeler scripts. The one that will be really annoying is my fractal foil generator.

What's going to piss me off the most is the lack of a debugger. Tracking down weird behavior that doesn't crash will be difficult and frustrating. Guess I'll feature request it, and see what happens.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

i feel i’m trolling but at the same time i’m sick of 20 yrs of neglect AND I do pay for all upgrades to keep them going.
    as i’ve said before, i paid for the right to complain i know it’s terrible, right ?
    i’m a paid up enabler

i did reflect on that post and felt i should back off. people on the other end of things.
    anyway thanks for support. i don’t know if i’m right or wrong, just an opinion.

As a side note on the conversion of plugins:

I've gone in and started converting my fire & forget plugins into Python. Despite it being maligned by some developers, the PRIS library does do the work quite nicely.
    I've got working versions in python of my boolean cut and fuse poly pairs scripts now. The speed increase is noticeable.

I suspect I'll be able to get some of the simpler UI's converted, since they're a simple dialog box. A few, though, have insane UI (Build Null Object, Style Comb, Make Bone Controllers, Symm. Weight Assign), and will take some doing, and probably the use of a 3rd party UI editor.

It's not an easy thing to do, but I'm getting it done.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note on the conversion of plugins:

I've gone in and started converting my fire & forget plugins into Python. Despite it being maligned by some developers, the PRIS library does do the work quite nicely.
    I've got working versions in python of my boolean cut and fuse poly pairs scripts now. The speed increase is noticeable.

I suspect I'll be able to get some of the simpler UI's converted, since they're a simple dialog box. A few, though, have insane UI (Build Null Object, Style Comb, Make Bone Controllers, Symm. Weight Assign), and will take some doing, and probably the use of a 3rd party UI editor.

It's not an easy thing to do, but I'm getting it done.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Thanks for making this massive effort to move everything to Python.

I don’t use your scripts often (not working with hair/fur right now), but I just donated to the cause via your website PayPal link…

Again thanks for putting in the hard work for the Lightwave community!
    Lightwave 2015 2019 2020 (both Mac & Win)
    High Sierra & Windows 10
    Mac Pro 2012 & Alienware Aurora
    48 GB ram
    AMD RX580 (Mac) & NVIDIA RTX2080 Ti (Win)

Many thanks for those of you who have donated. Progress is being made... !

One of the harder modeler scripts has been converted, Extrude Curves 1.0 (for Python). I had made some dangerous assumptions about what was being selected in the LScript version. Not so with the python version; selecting a point along the curve will no longer duplicate that point and add it to the curve, it will get the curve the point lies on, get the end point for that curve, and then duplicate it. Not an easy task in Python.

Things I have learned about
    1) Slicing Lists (Yay!)
    2) enumerating lists (Woo!)
    3) the various *scan functions (fast and normal).
    4) traceback.print_exc() (Lets you know WTF just happened in your try/except/finally block)
    5) variable scope in Python
    6) Sucky SDK Documentation (things are spread out between 3 - 4 different sections, sometimes between 2 different sets of SDK documentation, and things that should be linked to (like ED*Info) aren't.

Next up will be a simple UI, for my grow hair curves script. ODTools make UI tool should work just fine for this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Many thanks for those of you who have donated. Progress is being made... !

One of the harder modeler scripts has been converted, Extrude Curves 1.0 (for Python). I had made some dangerous assumptions about what was being selected in the LScript version. Not so with the python version; selecting a point along the curve will no longer duplicate that point and add it to the curve, it will get the curve the point lies on, get the end point for that curve, and then duplicate it. Not an easy task in Python.

Things I have learned about
    1) Slicing Lists (Yay!)
    2) enumerating lists (Woo!)
    3) the various *scan functions (fast and normal).
    4) traceback.print_exc() (Lets you know WTF just happened in your try/except/finally block)
    5) variable scope in Python
    6) Sucky SDK Documentation (things are spread out between 3 - 4 different sections, sometimes between 2 different sets of SDK documentation, and things that should be linked to (like ED*Info) aren't.

Next up will be a simple UI, for my grow hair curves script. ODTools make UI tool should work just fine for this one.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Progress is being slowly made on picking apart the mysteries of UI Programming under LW's implementation of Python. In some ways, it's easier then LScript, and in other ways, very difficult.

It does not help that Python SDK reference material does not exist for lwsdk.LWPanels, lwsdk.pcore.panels, and lwsdk.pcore.controls; All of these are used to assemble a UI Panel for Lightwave. You are forced to dig the material using Python's help() statement, and then figure out what it all does. On top of that, there are no examples given, so you have to experiment. And throw exceptions until you get it right. It's a good thing your can trap your exceptions and exit gracefully, otherwise I'd be crashing Lightwave left, right and center.

In the end, this is what I've accomplished:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scfp10.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	148183

Clicking on use part will swap with controls that control what parts or surfaces are used swap in and out, The new style name edit box ghosts out when a style map is picked, as do the sleekness control and curling control fixed percentage controls. That was actually easier than accomplishing the same in LScript! Using a user defined size for the panel, or a user defined position for the controls... That's proving to be hard. Once I get a handle on how to manually position controls and size the panel, things will go much more smoothly.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

What happens when LW moves to Python 3? Does all this stuff need tweaked/rewritten again?

I'm trying to write it with Python 3 in mind; there are a set of guidelines out there. There's also a couple of libraries to aid the transition as well.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

I'm making more headway; With some help from JWeide, and a whole lot of digging into the undocumented sections of the python SDK -- C'mon, Newtek, it's like you don't want people developing things for you, so much is MISSING -- I've got the first two scripts with UI's converted to Python - Flatten Points and Make Hairs. Functionality is the same as the LScript versions, but the speed increase is very noticeable indeed.

I've also got a working mock-up of the Style Combing UI as well.

I might even put together a document called "So you want to write a LW UI in Python" with my notes in a somewhat organized fashion to share.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm making more headway; With some help from JWeide, and a whole lot of digging into the undocumented sections of the python SDK -- C'mon, Newtek, it's like you don't want people developing things for you, so much is MISSING -- I've got the first two scripts with UI's converted to Python - Flatten Points and Make Hairs. Functionality is the same as the LScript versions, but the speed increase is very noticeable indeed.

I've also got a working mock-up of the Style Combing UI as well.

I might even put together a document called "So you want to write a LW UI in Python" with my notes in a somewhat organized fashion to share.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast